Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 03:22 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,863,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So, if everyone already knows higher income earners are paying twice the percentage of their share of the income, why all the cries of "the rich aren't paying their fair share?"
The key word there is the word "fair"... Apparently, some people think that paying twice the percentage of your proportion of the income still isn't "fair"....

See, that the beauty of it. "fair" is a subjective term. There is no objective standard for what is "fair", which means they can just make it up as they go along and change it at will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 03:24 AM

29,466 posts, read 16,420,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It's not a fallacy, as there are many people out there criticizing the fact that Trump didn't pay more than the tax codes required of him. That's what they are criticizing him for.
I try not to argue with absolutes, so yes, those people exist. But those people are not Hillary Clinton, or even the people commenting in this forum as far as I can see.

Quote:
Nice attempt at moving the goalposts. Sorry, but Trump is being criticized for the fact that he didn't pay taxes for 18 years, even though he was not required to.
1. Not moving the goal post, putting forth the argument from my perspective.

2. One can be criticized for something without arguing that it is illegal, and understand that legality =/ morality

3. Also need to point out that the criticism has to do with the way he is accounting, kind of like some major retailers only wanting to be taxed for the land they own, not the content of their buildings which could be in the high millions. One of the criticisms of Trump is that he argued operating income loss(not net) as an individual while putting profits into the trump Organization. none of this can be proven without his tax returns , which we havent actually seen. They are just claims.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, you did...

quote where i did it.

Quote:
Trump never criticized the millionaires and billionaires for not paying more than they are, instead, he criticized the laws that allow them to pay what they do. People are criticizing for not paying taxes for 18 years, instead of criticizing the laws that said he didn't have to.
As I said, there are reasons for that.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Philosophically, we disagre. I see taxes as a contractual obligation.
So do I. I see them as part of the "Social Contract"... Same thing. It wouldn't be "fair" to tell someone "oh, you had a good year, so we're going to take even more of your money at a higher rate" and tell someone else "oh, you had a marginal year, so you don't have to pay as much"

That's the problem with your way of thinking. Liberalism KILLS things like ambition and drive. Why would I work my tail off to be the best of the best in my field, what incentive would I have to succeed, knowing that my reward for outperforming everyone else will be handing over even more of my money to the government?
Quote:
just as you dont believe in no taxes as all, i dont believe in just taking to some random percentile. It is really that simple.
So what is your standard? I've asked you before and I'll ask again, what IS "fair"?

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 10-04-2016 at 03:43 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I try not to argue with absolutes, so yes, those people exist. But those people are not Hillary Clinton, or even the people commenting in this forum as far as I can see.
*Sigh*...

I'm really too tired to look up the quote to post for you, but yes, Hillary Clinton IS criticizing Trump for not paying more taxes than was required of him, emoting about "no money for the troops or for schools" etc.
Quote:
2. One can be criticized for something without arguing that it is illegal, and understand that legality =/ morality
So that basically means that you believe Trump should have.... I don't know, just "given" the Federal Government some money, even though he didn't have to, right? I mean, you can't argue that he acted immorally without arguing that he should have cut the Fed Gov a check.
Quote:
3. Also need to point out that the criticism has to do with the way he is accounting, kind of like some major retailers only wanting to be taxed for the land they own, not the content of their buildings which could be in the high millions. One of the criticisms of Trump is that he argued operating income loss(not net) as an individual while putting profits into the trump Organization. none of this can be proven without his tax returns , which we havent actually seen. They are just claims.
And so again, even if that is the case, how can that be held against Trump himself when the laws allowed him to do it? That's called being smart. That's called legally working through the system in a way that advantages you. Don't see how anyone can be blamed for doing that, but, it's your world I guess.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:43 AM

Quote:
So do I. I see them as part of the "Social Contract"... Same thing. It wouldn't be "fair" to tell someone "oh, you had a good year, so we're going to take even more of your money at a higher rate" and tell someone else "oh, you had a marginal year, so you don't have to pay as much"
a contractual obligation isnt theft, and part of that contract is knowing that at higher levels, you pay more.

Quote:
That's the problem with your way of thinking. Liberalism KILLS things like ambition and drive. Why would I work my tail off to be the best of the best in my field, what incentive would I have to succeed, knowing that my reward for outperforming everyone else will be handing over even more of my money to the government?
you are defining the tax code as liberal, and in doing so, show why you are wrong... unless you are saying that no one(or no large portion) has been ambitious and driven since the tax code came into existence.

Quote:
So what is your standard? I've asked you before and I'll ask again, what IS "fair"? Truth is,
I dont pretend to know of which exact number that is right. I also know that most American economist(even the conservative ones) say a flat income tax wouldnt work.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
*Sigh*...

I'm really too tired to look up the quote to post for you, but yes, Hillary Clinton IS criticizing Trump for not paying more taxes than was required of him, emoting about "no money for the troops or for schools" etc.
Isnt that a critique of the system using Trump as an example ??????

Quote:
So that basically means that you believe Trump should have.... I don't know, just "given" the Federal Government some money, even though he didn't have to, right? I mean, you can't argue that he acted immorally without arguing that he should have cut the Fed Gov a check.

nope, only an argument that we all see the world differently.

As for morality. it has to do with what you know is right. Not what you have to do.

I do things that i know are immoral all the time, but i have never considered it my duty to do the moral thing in those situations.

I agree Trump should do what is best for him. regardless of what is best for everyone else.

That doesnt change the fact that he has argued against the current tax system and budget cuts to the military based on budget shortfalls.

Quote:
And so again, even if that is the case, how can that be held against Trump himself when the laws allowed him to do it? That's called being smart. That's called legally working through the system in a way that advantages you. Don't see how anyone can be blamed for doing that, but, it's your world I guess.
refer to the first response.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
I'm sorry if I misunderstood your point. Do you not believe that more money should be taken from the rich who already pay the lions share and given to poor people?

You claim we have no job problem (have you even looked in the job search board?) while arguing the rich should pay more taxes. I assumed your argument was that more money should be taken from the rich and given to people that don't have or have low paying jobs? How else is taxing the rich more going to help my wallet?
Thats just it. im not talking about your wallet or even mine , LOL

I was talking about tax revenue in and of itself. a rich CEO paying 1% more in taxes creates more tax revenue than a couple thousand jobs does.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:10 AM

33,507 posts, read 18,059,857 times
I have written off a bad debt and I am not rich. I know many people who move to a state to pay lower taxes. If you take a deduction in your taxes then you are in the same boat as Donald Trump. Stop being a hypocrite.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:17 AM

33,853 posts, read 16,875,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I take advantage of all of the tax laws available to me. I would not respect the intelligence of anyone who didn't do the same.

ditto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies