Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 04:48 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Not only did they send customer emails to the FBI and the NSA, but they covered it up. Has the Fourth Amendment been overturned? Or is our government just ignoring it? And if Yahoo's actions were legal, why did they cover it up? Why is this being done in secret? Does anybody have the balls to stand up to our abusive government?
----------------
Yahoo last year built surveillance tools after the National Security Agency or the FBI issued a secret directive to scan all customers' incoming emails, according to a report from Reuters citing anonymous former Yahoo employees.

It's not yet known what, specifically, intelligence officers were looking for -- only that they wanted to search for "a set of characters," Reuters reported. That could be a phrase, for example, or an attachment, sources told Reuters.

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer chose to obey the demand, Reuters reported, a decision that prompted then-Chief Information Security Officer Alex Stamos to leave the company in June 2015. Stamos reportedly told people working for him that a programming flaw could give hackers access to customers' stored email. He is now Facebook's security chief.

https://www.cnet.com/news/yahoo-repo...84090664532775
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 05:11 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Is someone trying to sink Verizon?

Can they back out of that deal?

Old 10-04-2016, 07:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I don't think anyone should trust any email anymore. Or text messaging.

It's particularly foolish to trust anything Google, Apple, Yahoo, Youtube, or Facebook.

All this saving things to 'cloud' business, just makes it easier for them to access anything they want, whenever they want.

But then, I haven't trusted anything since they moved everyone from Analog to Digital. I never bought their reason for that.

And I usually keep my tinfoil hat locked up.

Last edited by MPowering1; 10-04-2016 at 07:36 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 07:39 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

All this saving things to 'cloud' business, just makes it easier for them to access anything they want, whenever they want.
Yup...and anyone who thinks they're truly anonymous on any site is out of their minds.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:48 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yup...and anyone who thinks they're truly anonymous on any site is out of their minds.
Yes, but that doesn't justify the government ignoring the fourth amendment.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:15 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, but that doesn't justify the government ignoring the fourth amendment.
You could argue the internet has blown the fourth amendment wide open. An acquaintance seeking funding in his growing internet marketing company using social media showed me how his young computer geniuses can delve into any aspect of our lives. Using one of my email addresses the kid was able to get my name, address, credit score and my freaking net worth and where I work. All in five minutes. Then he asked if I wanted my Social Security number too. Privacy is dead and the fourth amendment died with it.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Wait, whaaa???? I would have been nicer to you all had I known this!

I read an article a few weeks ago detailing how all of our activity can be tracked, between credit and debit card charges and gps tracking systems on devices.

It's truly frightening how our government has become what they told us the Communists were like in the '50's and '60's. Our founding fathers must be rolling.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:27 PM

524 posts, read 400,206 times
Yep. I'm switching over to Proton mail here shortly. Can't say I'm surprised by this whole ordeal and I have never felt that email, especially "free" email, was secure or exempt from oversight.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:44 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
I'm not worried. I revel in anonymity but I will stay in anonymity because I'm not a criminal nor do I have anything that would be interesting to hackers esp not in my email. I don't have the finances that would make them want to put forth much effort of looking up my information.
The worst that has happened to me is people were able to make me follow them on Twitter which did p me off but I don't feel unsafe or anything and that seemed to be taken care of.

But as a person who doesn't like being the center of attention, while it doesn't worry me it does annoy me because they compromise your privacy to target you for ads yet they didn't track my purchases to catch the people who scammed me years ago.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't think anyone should trust any email anymore. Or text messaging.

It's particularly foolish to trust anything Google, Apple, Yahoo, Youtube, or Facebook.

But then, I haven't trusted anything since they moved everyone from Analog to Digital. I never bought their reason for that.

And I usually keep my tinfoil hat locked up.

Meet in the middle of the woods with the secret handshake... Just so the Government will not spy on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies