Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 10:39 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
They should be deported. In the meantime they shouldn't become citizens who have even more rights and privileges to cause harm.
I'm puzzled--why would you deport those here legally? My post was strictly about legal residents.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:46 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You make some good points so I'm repping this post. But I don't agree totally.

I think we should enhance the immigration court system so as to speed up civil deportation proceedings. Those that don't belong here should be deported in months if not weeks. Those that belong here should be able to come into the sunshine and work, and pay taxes, legally.
I agree about the speed of justice..in fact..I would favor hearing within days, if not hours.
Justice should be swift and sure.

But there needs to be a reset---I like compromise..so...amnesty for those who can show that they are an asset to their community. Jobs..volunteers...needed skills.

Convicts out...bums out.....no visible means of support..out//stable families in..with 10 year proviso on residency--automatic deportation for any conviction.

...and we need a enforcible treaty with Mexico---it is to Mexico's benefit that illegals are in US; it brings hard currency into their country. Mexico should patrol the border..and share the costs.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:48 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
But there needs to be a reset---I like compromise..so...amnesty for those who can show that they are an asset to their community. Jobs..volunteers...needed skills.
Been there, done that in 1986. All it did was increase illegal immigration. No more amnesties, never again.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:52 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The vast majority of countries do not award birthright citizenship.

This is not groundbreaking stuff.

US is being taken for a ride.

And I am legal first generation immigrant myself from a third world hell hole.
Sucks to have to jump through hoops to earn your way in when you see someone enter illegally, give birth and they get what you earned.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:00 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It could possibly have been done in 1988 or 1989...with about 10% of the existing problem. But at this point the undertaking is simply too vast for serious attempts. The government blew it back then. At this point there is no credible way to ever build such a monstrous bureaucracy. And if you did and it succeeded what do you do next? I do not think legalizing the illegal alien is a wonderful thing. I do however think it is the only thing with a chance of working. And the longer we delay the more certain this all becomes. And we could blow it again. Do a big legalization and then not get the control in place. And it builds back up again. It would be different...there are not enough Mexicans in the elgible demographic to repopulate the illegal alien strata. But something new...overstaying Europeans combined with Central and South Americans perhaps. IC and friends are going to continue pounding the dead horse. It will never get up and will stink worse and worse but beat it still they will. So hopefully someday soon we will decide to go rational.
I agree with you, particularly with the number of families who have children who are citizens, or those who have worked here for decades and even bought homes, we simply are not going to deport those people so we need to provide some way for them to achieve legal status, there is no other option. And the overstaying visa situation is getting really bad, it looks like the total remains around a half million, that's a lot of overstays. Don't even get me started on the problems with immigration from the Northern triangle; El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras, that's a huge mess and even I don't think it's going to get better any time soon

Old 10-05-2016, 11:03 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree with you, particularly with the number of families who have children who are citizens, or those who have worked here for decades and even bought homes, we simply are not going to deport those people so we need to provide some way for them to achieve legal status, there is no other option. And the overstaying visa situation is getting really bad, it looks like the total remains around a half million, that's a lot of overstays. Don't even get me started on the problems with immigration from the Northern triangle; El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras, that's a huge mess and even I don't think it's going to get better any time soon
The only way to deport people is shortly after they arrive. And the only way to do that is an expensive but necessary expansion of the immigration court system. Politicians making cheap points don't want to hear that.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:07 PM

A family line could live illegally here for the next 100 years or more, but there's no reason they should be given citizenship until they leave and are authorized to immigrate.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:17 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The only way to deport people is shortly after they arrive. And the only way to do that is an expensive but necessary expansion of the immigration court system. Politicians making cheap points don't want to hear that.
But that remedy is only available if you catch them when they arrive, and we aren't very good at that and I don't think a 20 foot wall is going to help much. When you have an immigrant family with 3 citizen kids what are you going to do?

Look at this from Pew research

Old 10-06-2016, 01:52 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Birthright citizenship needs to go away or change.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
I'm puzzled--why would you deport those here legally? My post was strictly about legal residents.
I'm puzzled. I never said deport those here legally. You said if we ended birthright citizenship. In that case the children born in the US of illegals would be illegals as well. If you mean the children born in the US to legal permanent residents they would be legal permanent residents as well eligible to be naturalized within a short period of time. Legal permanent residents are hardly an "underclass".

I see now, when you said "non-citizen here legally" I think I read the last word has "illegally" when I replied. Anyway, legal residents are hardly an underclass, they are eligible for naturalization after a few years and have many rights of a citizen, heck even the illegals do. I disagree that granting someone citizenship makes one patriotic or loyal, especially granted for just being born. My solution is just stop granting so many immigrant visas and to people who are never going to be American.

Last edited by mtl1; 10-06-2016 at 02:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies