Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 03:03 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times

Advertisements

As usual, his remarks were mischaracterized.
The people in the room didn't hear it the way the media did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 07:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It takes a far greater strength to speak up and admit you need help than suffering in silence. There should be no stigma for those that need assistance. Like so many other battles, stepping up is the hardest part.
I agree with this. I have a couple relatives who are military vets who suffer from PTSD.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:01 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
As usual, his remarks were mischaracterized.
The people in the room didn't hear it the way the media did.
Right.

Not only do they misconstrue but the average person, for some reason, likes extremes and forgets the "middle ground" which is where most of us stand.

Strong is "above average" by definition. Weak is "below average" by definition.

Someone who isn't strong is not necessarily weak, and someone is isn't weak is not necessarily strong. Most of us are somewhere in between.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:04 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Yes.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:11 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I lost a dear friend to suicide. Even though he committed suicide, he perhaps was still twice the man that average men are.

The guy's pain tolerance level was so high, it was scary. He was in the Marine corps for a total of 12 years, and when he came back, he masked the pain with alcohol, eventually, he took his life.

Weakness? absolutely not. Gave up on hope? not necessarily either I think he just didn't find the proper treatment he desperately needed. If he used EMDR, maybe he could have been cured.

He is forever my dear friend and I miss him.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes.
oh yeah?

Old 10-06-2016, 08:15 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I lost a dear friend to suicide. Even though he committed suicide, he perhaps was still twice the man that average men are.

The guy's pain tolerance level was so high, it was scary. He was in the Marine corps for a total of 12 years, and when he came back, he masked the pain with alcohol, eventually, he took his life.

Weakness? absolutely not. Gave up on hope? not necessarily either I think he just didn't find the proper treatment he desperately needed. If he used EMDR, maybe he could have been cured.

He is forever my dear friend and I miss him.

Of course it is weakness. People can be strong in some areas and weak in others. The purpose of therapy etc. is to make the weak strong.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:15 AM

21,120 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Anyone who has been in combat and doesn't suffer from some trauma as a result of it needs to get their head examined.

PTSD is not an abnormality; it is a normal reaction that any person with compassion would have.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Of course it is weakness. People can be strong in some areas and weak in others. The purpose of therapy etc. is to make the weak strong.
wow, you must have seen combats and beat your own ptsd

Old 10-06-2016, 08:17 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
No. My dad was deployed to Iraq twice. Once at the beginning of the war - SeaBees and Marine Corps of Engineers - and once toward the end. He was the oldest SeaBee in Iraq. Tough as nails, both mentally and physically. After his second deployment, he changed. The gratitude of the Iraqi peoples had, for the most part, evaporated. Between the mental frustration of seeing how things were going wrong, and the physical; actually dodging bullets and worrying about roadside bombs, it wasn't surprising that he came back affected by PTSD.

What hasn't changed is his mental strength. For months, he jumped at loud noises and suffered from a kind of general depression, but that didn't mean that his mind was any weaker. If anything, having to deal with the stresses from combat, while fitting back into society, family and job showed how he is even stronger now. Asking for help has no bearing on being weak or strong, either. While he didn't seek help for the PTSD, I'll throw a comment out there about the terrible state of the VA. His knees are shot. He was on a waiting list for an appointment at the VA forever, and when he finally went in, he was told he had to reschedule because the VA didn't have the right paperwork for him, and what they ended up covering, in the end, was a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies