Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:03 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Just went to several sites. I did several areas near downtown not knowing which is hood and which is good. 1 BR seems nearer 1900 to 2500, not 4250. (Still. YIKES!) Single with no kids and zero tax planning he should be netting ~74K before health insurance. So he should have about 43K left after 30K in rent.

Yes it sucks the crazy expensive places are growing the most. People laugh at Dayton... You can "Suffer" in almost 2800 sf house for 234K with good schools and very low crime. (Was gonna post a link but I think they would pull it.)

Friendly advice for OP. IF you plan on marrying and having kids, get the eff out of Seattle now. Once you have a family, moving is 99999999 times harder and 90K will be doable but a huge struggle for you money wise.
That rent of 4250 I mentioned earlier is for San Francisco, not Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 06:05 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I dunno, man...

Texas does have what I call 'TREES OF DEATH'. For those with pollen allergies, god save your soul:

Why do those people have the toddler standing right under the trees when dad shakes the branches?

Old 10-06-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Funny, we moved to Mississippi for a tech job because they were having trouble finding someone qualified to fill the position. Low cost of living and higher than average pay for the area. My wife is currently having trouble finding more tech people to fill her team and looking to hire out of state.

Maybe try expanding your horizons.
That's what I try to tell my husband. That even though Indeed may have fewer pages of job search results, there are also going to be fewer people competing for those jobs. Plus, our jobs can be done remotely -- my employer has already agreed to let me work remotely from anywhere. He can find a remote job and do the same.

But he's stubborn as an ox, and insists that we're limited to SF, Seattle, or NYC.

He also hates any snow at all, and is afraid to drive (and gets anxious about me driving too), so the place has to have public transit.

Come to think of it, I do think he's making things much more difficult than they need to be by blocking out almost every option.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:27 PM

74 posts, read 41,024 times
Quote:
That's what I try to tell my husband. That even though Indeed may have fewer pages of job search results, there are also going to be fewer people competing for those jobs. Plus, our jobs can be done remotely -- my employer has already agreed to let me work remotely from anywhere. He can find a remote job and do the same.

But he's stubborn as an ox, and insists that we're limited to SF, Seattle, or NYC.

He also hates any snow at all, and is afraid to drive (and gets anxious about me driving too), so the place has to have public transit.

Come to think of it, I do think he's making things much more difficult than they need to be by blocking out almost every option.

I'm a lot like your husband. I actually don't drive myself, and I hate having to be forced to drive. I love public transportation, and I really like living in the city. A good option for you may be Philly. It has a ton of big city amenities, a pretty decent public transportation system, then rent is still pretty low (compared to NYC and SF), and it's a pretty short commute to NYC if you really need to visit there. I moved to Philly 2 years ago from the San Francisco Bay Area, and it's a really good place that balances things out. It's close to a lot of other major cities like Baltimore, Atlantic City, DC, and NYC. And it's has a very big city vibe, especially in center city.

I also work from home full time, and I live very well in Philly. I also don't really like living in super surburban areas where I have to rely on driving. You should really check Philly out.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos37 View Post
I'm a lot like your husband. I actually don't drive myself, and I hate having to be forced to drive. I love public transportation, and I really like living in the city. A good option for you may be Philly. It has a ton of big city amenities, a pretty decent public transportation system, then rent is still pretty low (compared to NYC and SF), and it's a pretty short commute to NYC if you really need to visit there. I moved to Philly 2 years ago from the San Francisco Bay Area, and it's a really good place that balances things out. It's close to a lot of other major cities like Baltimore, Atlantic City, DC, and NYC. And it's has a very big city vibe, especially in center city.

I also work from home full time, and I live very well in Philly. I also don't really like living in super surburban areas where I have to rely on driving. You should really check Philly out.
Do you feel safe there though? I always hear it can be rough and gritty there.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:37 PM

74 posts, read 41,024 times
Quote:
Do you feel safe there though? I always hear it can be rough and gritty there.
It takes awhile to get use to Philly for sure, and yes it can be rough and gritty. You'll figure out the problem areas pretty fast, and there are enough affordable areas in the city that are not plagued with crime. You generally won't have any issues unless you're out in certain neighborhoods after dark. The only place where I hear of people having legit issues with crime is Kensington, and trust me you can't accidentally end up there unless you are specifically looking to go there. And even then, I hear of middle class and college students moving out there and pretty much never being bothered by anyone. I wouldn't advise it, but whatever.

If you stay in Center City though, you can find apartments that range between $1600-$2000 for a 1 bedroom, but the places are normally huge and typically have pretty good views of the city. You can pay $4k a month in Philly like other big cities, but you're likely to be in some huge loft, with an amazing view, and in the heart of downtown. Philly has a growing tech community, a ton of hackathons and meetups. It's definitely the goto spot for a lot of ex-New Yorkers and people from other more expensive parts of the country.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:53 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
It seems that almost all the decent jobs nowadays are located in overcrowded, expensive cities. As a Millenial who makes $90k and is realistic about what he can afford, I know that it's unlikely I'll ever be able to realistically afford a house, a new car or a family. Vacation? What's that? I fully expect that I'm going to have to work harder/smarter every year just to keep up with the cost of living and competition from outsourcing/insourcing. I'm curious how we expect to have a society if hardly anyone can afford to raise a family. Seems like the system is doomed to implode.
You make $90K a year and you post this crap? At $90K a year, I'd be debt free and a millionaire in 8 years or less guaranteed. You are clueless about how to manage money if you can't see the path to financial security in just a few years on this salary. Who the heck actually hired you for $90K a year, because this is about dumbest thing I've read on here in a long time. Sorry, but it's the truth. Yeah, it will take some sacrifices, but it's doable. Millennials are spoiled and can't boil an egg on top of the stove, but go boy, they all have college degrees. Come on man! Listen to Dave Ramsey and get with the program. Live cheap for a few years, pay off all your debt and start investing. buy a rental properly, get some sound investments and let your money go to work for you.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:57 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In 1980 there was a booming Houston newspaper market in Michigan - for the Sunday job listings. Except that I didn't have $500 bucks and couldn't afford to take a bus anywhere.
and 36 years later your life hasn't changed, has it? LOL.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
and 36 years later your life hasn't changed, has it? LOL.

Actually, now I have $500, but Houston has become unaffordable.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:26 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos37 View Post
I'm single with no kids and I make over 6 figures. America is becoming unlivable to me as well, just because over 6 figures isn't what it us to be. At 6 figures you should be able to live comfortably anywhere in the country, but the reality is 6 figures isn't anything in San Francisco, NYC, or DC.

The key thing is, yeah America is more than livable if you don't actually live in city, don't mind spending 2 hours a day on a bus or train to get to work, and want to live far from the city. That is the thing, it appear that people who make like 70k and who are married live better than single people who are making over 6 figures? Why?

Well for one, a single person is way more likely to live in the city vs the suburbs. Desirably neighborhoods in any major city is going to be north of $1500 a month. A lot of single people who make 6 figure are also likely to need cell phones and their plans are going to cost $150 dollars. I have to have an expensive phone plan for job because I need to be able to log into my work computer from anywhere, and that requires tethering. Single people go out more and eat out more, because they don't live structured lifestyles, many can't afford to cook on a daily basis. And single people are way more likely to have a high internet bill as well because if you're making close to 6 figures, you probably do a lot of work from home. For me, I work from home full time, and I can't be without internet service.

I mean the key take away is this. A single sedentary sububanite is likely to live far outside of the city in a cheaper suburbs. They're likely to pack lunches every single day to work, and probably eat at home everyday (usually because they have a spouse that cooks). They can have budget internet service, and family cellphone plans. And a lot of times due to them living in family friendly neighborhoods, they're way more likely to carpool into work, saving them a lot of money on gas. Single people are likely to take uber and taxi to get to work, or they're forced to drive because less avaiable car pools inside the metro.

So yeah single making 90k, I can see where your expenses are higher.
Well, 6 figures is still a good salary anywhere. I barely made that when I retired last year in the SF Bay Area and saving 10% of that over 30 years invested in a basic S&P fund will leave you with a WHOLE lotta money.. I easily did that will living in an expensive suburb...

So you must be spending too much...that's on you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies