Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:04 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,841,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

And the future is trending towards opportunities primarily in tech or healthcare.
How can an economy grow with an emphasis on tech and healthcare.

The majority of people utilizing healthcare are utilizing it through Medicaid, Medicare, Government Employees.

64 percent of health care expenditures are tax payer funded according to this report. I assume that also includes lost tax revenue from the health insurance deduction.

Increased health care spending means more government spending and more debt. It is good in my opinion there is a health care safety-net but increased health care expeditures automatically means more debt or taxes.

Government funds nearly two-thirds of U.S. health care costs: American Journal of Public Health study | Physicians for a National Health Program

Also the tech industry only employs about 2 percent of the nation's population last time I looked it is around 6 million jobs and the country population is well over 300 million people.

Overall, in general the standard of living is going downhill in the country in my personal opinion.

The superficial, materialism and hyper-competitive mentality is like nothing I have ever seen.

People would laugh if one were guess what the rents and housing prices would be in 2016.

Since 2011, there has been an extreme culture of greed and extreme entitlement that has been spreading through out the country.

There was a taste of pretentiousness during the fake real estate boom in the mid 2000s but that was just appetizer to the comical amount of ridiculous pretentiousness that exists through today where so many people are immersed in promoting themselves like they celebrities.

The massive surge in illicit drug use and number of people pretty much living in their bedroom playing video games almost every waking hour just shows the mood in the country.

A vast majority of people thought this country was going in the right-direction in the 1990s. I think overall the mid and late 1990s were likely the most liveable era of the last century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 10:06 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You can do tech anywhere, depending on what you like. My brother-in-law makes your wage in Dayton OH doing IT support, owns his own home, two cars, vacations every other month, etc.
If you live in Dayton then vacationing every other month is mandatory to prevent you from going insane.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:11 PM

1,478 posts, read 784,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
It seems that almost all the decent jobs nowadays are located in overcrowded, expensive cities. As a Millenial who makes $90k and is realistic about what he can afford, I know that it's unlikely I'll ever be able to realistically afford a house, a new car or a family. Vacation? What's that? I fully expect that I'm going to have to work harder/smarter every year just to keep up with the cost of living and competition from outsourcing/insourcing. I'm curious how we expect to have a society if hardly anyone can afford to raise a family. Seems like the system is doomed to implode.
A salary of $90,000 a year for a single (not combined household income) individual places one in the upper-classes of America. It does in Milwaukee. The per capita income in the whole of the United States (it's way less in Milwaukee) is around $57,000 a year I think.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,894,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
It seems that almost all the decent jobs nowadays are located in overcrowded, expensive cities. As a Millenial who makes $90k and is realistic about what he can afford, I know that it's unlikely I'll ever be able to realistically afford a house, a new car or a family. Vacation? What's that? I fully expect that I'm going to have to work harder/smarter every year just to keep up with the cost of living and competition from outsourcing/insourcing. I'm curious how we expect to have a society if hardly anyone can afford to raise a family. Seems like the system is doomed to implode.
Look in another state to invest in a home or a more rural area of Washington. Down the road hopefully you can move/retire somewhere else. Until then you could have a get away. There are affordable homes out there if you look around, you could even rent the one you buy out and get income from that.....just a thought.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:20 PM

1,478 posts, read 784,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
It may not be the times nor the location where you live that is the problem

If you can't manage to at last think of a new car , leaving the house out of it , and you are making 90k per year, you need to look at other areas of your life.

There are people I know in my city of SF , in the 85k-100k range and can afford a new car and even a mortgage on an apt.

You might need some financial mgmt. classes or help there , as you are doing something with your money that may or may not be advisable.

Too much cocaine and paying for high priced call girls?

I'm wondering what zillowing apartments in Seattle will find? Or zillowing luxury 1 bedroom apartments?

But if Seattle really is that expensive that is wild crazy.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:28 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,830,829 times
Big cities are over rated & you dont get paid enough. I prefer living modestly in a mid size town. I have friends in over crowded expensive towns who frown upon small towns but they have to squeeze into a small studio apartment when they can get a house here for same rent. There are several towns where you can have a good career & also enjoy life.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:33 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,761,446 times
With the government not working towards protective trade and not addressing MASSIVE COL increases yes it is. I'm starting to think the housing industry needs to be regulated to try to force them to pander to low-income people on the occasion. Phoenix has seen almost a $300/month increase in rent in some of the apartments I've seen over the course of a couple years (rents used to be fairly stable). And the apartments I'm talking about aren't where high-income people are living.

The government isn't for the people anymore, it's for the corporations, and it's actually really sad as I have another 50 or so years to work in this environment.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:40 PM

14,646 posts, read 14,554,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If you live in Dayton then vacationing every other month is mandatory to prevent you from going insane.
Har har, yet the OP said he was looking for a cheaper city to live where he could stay in his current career..

Old 10-05-2016, 10:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,792,245 times
About Andy Lee Graham the HoboTraveler.com Live and work as an expat?

Old 10-05-2016, 10:43 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,597,059 times
Most people who buy houses are married and have two incomes. Can't complain about not being able to buy a house on one salary when that hasn't been the case for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies