Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:24 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times

Advertisements

When it comes to America
Do you really think that terrorizing and enslaving an entire race of people for 300-400 years and then denying them most of your Privileges for another 100+ years, throwing many of them in prisons and packing them up over minor offenses and unfair sentencing, having a history of police brutality towards them that has been complained about for decades and no one would believe them and now is being proven almost weekly with video, that a certain race is not going to be proud of American history or want to honor it?

Why you get mad when they dont want to be part of or applaud your history or honor the national anthem?

Do you really think any white person would voluntarily agree to be treated the way black people are?

Do you think if white were discriminated agaisnt as much as blacks have and had to grow up in slums or housing projects or the worst parts of town because another race set it up that way, that there wouldn't be a large amount of hate or despise for American history from them?

If the national anthem means so mean to people who, I guarantee sit down when they hear it at home, why dont we go ahead and add back that verse of the song, since its no big deal. I mean why should we care the song is signing about celebrating the death of slaves, is just American history right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 09:27 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I ignore it.. if they want to be anti-American they have that right.

If they hate this country they have that right. We get it.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Outside of kneeling during the anthem, what has Kapernick done to address or help with the problems plaguing inner city blacks in poor communities where crime is way of life for many!?

These isolated shootings between police and blacks dont even hold a candle to what's going in in these black communities. Where's the protests from these athletes for innocent children who are shot by these thugs? Where's the protests for the elderly who get caught in these crossfires and are shot as a result? Where are the protests against the looters who come in and burn, loot and riot during the times of peaceful protests?
There were riots for a cop who shot an armed man with an illegal firearm who wouldn't comply when asked, yet not a peep for the man who was shot in his head by a fellow black while protesting! WHY?

And please dont tell me that I have no idea what goes on in these communities. I've seen first hand what goes on and have lived in one of these communities for the first 28yrs of my life!"

Last edited by louie0406; 10-07-2016 at 09:43 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
They should have their own anthem and flag. Seriously, and that's not necessarily a slight against them because I can understand why they wouldn't feel completely positive about the American flag and anthem. In a sense, they're a separate nation (nation being a distinct people, even if not geographically concentrated in a continuous space or a sovereign state); really, every nation deserves some kind of symbolism they can call their own and be proud of.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:37 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
European tradition has a habit of loving the country more than any other tradition does. Indians don't get this excited about India. Iranians don't get this excited about Iran. But if you so much as don't get a raging erection when the Star Spangled banner starts playing, it's because you're a [insert favorite insult of the time].

Both world wars were about nationalism for the most part. The German people as a broad ethnic group wanted their own state like the French had or the English; that's how they could validate themselves. It's why Bismark is worshipped, or at least was. It's how Hitler justified a genocide. It's actually how Andrew Jackson justified a genocide. The best part, because I understand that, I will be called un American for pointing out an objective fact that Andrew Jackson sanctioned a genocide. Forcibly moving people from their homes (private property is important... right?), forcing them to live in subpart conditions, and allowing them to die due to malnutrition and lack of medical care, as well as creating institutions that ban their cultural expression is genocide. The genocide of American Indians is among the largest genocides in the world. It's hard to get a figure on just how big it was since we don't have exact population data on the America's pre-colonization. And no, the US isn't solely guilty of this. Canada played a part, as did nearly all of Western Europe and South and Central American countries. But the fact is, my pointing out an objective fact will get me criticized from someone. It's happened before.

Point is, loving your country is a big deal to European people. It's weird, because for many, so is hating the government, which is somehow distinct from hating the country. I don't understand that logic, but then again, many of these people think waving the flag of a rebellion and illegal nation is patriotism so clearly the whole thing's a ****ing mess.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:39 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
European tradition has a habit of loving the country more than any other tradition does. Indians don't get this excited about India. Iranians don't get this excited about Iran. But if you so much as don't get a raging erection when the Star Spangled banner starts playing, it's because you're a [insert favorite insult of the time].

Both world wars were about nationalism for the most part. The German people as a broad ethnic group wanted their own state like the French had or the English; that's how they could validate themselves. It's why Bismark is worshipped, or at least was. It's how Hitler justified a genocide. It's actually how Andrew Jackson justified a genocide. The best part, because I understand that, I will be called un American for pointing out an objective fact that Andrew Jackson sanctioned a genocide. Forcibly moving people from their homes (private property is important... right?), forcing them to live in subpart conditions, and allowing them to die due to malnutrition and lack of medical care, as well as creating institutions that ban their cultural expression is genocide. The genocide of American Indians is among the largest genocides in the world. It's hard to get a figure on just how big it was since we don't have exact population data on the America's pre-colonization. And no, the US isn't solely guilty of this. Canada played a part, as did nearly all of Western Europe and South and Central American countries. But the fact is, my pointing out an objective fact will get me criticized from someone. It's happened before.

Point is, loving your country is a big deal to European people. It's weird, because for many, so is hating the government, which is somehow distinct from hating the country. I don't understand that logic, but then again, many of these people think waving the flag of a rebellion and illegal nation is patriotism so clearly the whole thing's a ****ing mess.
You are misinformed. Try disrespecting an Iranian flag in Iran.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:48 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

Some East Asians are nationalistic. And you're definitely wrong about the Iranians: they're nationalistic as well. But they're close to Europeans. There's some truth to what you're saying, but "nationalistic" inclinations are manifested in different ways for different peoples. In Africans, it's more a matter of tribalism, which is essentially the root of European style nationalism, but on a smaller scale.

Nationalism is good and healthy, which is why I'm in favor of others peoples developing their own sense of it. It's not my job to dictate what form the nationalism of other peoples should assume, but I do nevertheless think my suggestion has merit, since it would foster a closer sense of connectedness among blacks to national symbolism that they can completely call their own.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:52 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Anything else 200 years old we need to address today?

Old 10-07-2016, 09:59 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
MLK Day. Why do people get upset when white athletes protest it?

Old 10-07-2016, 10:05 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
When it comes to America
Do you really think that terrorizing and enslaving an entire race of people for 300-400 years and then denying them most of your Privileges for another 100+ years, throwing many of them in prisons and packing them up over minor offenses and unfair sentencing, having a history of police brutality towards them that has been complained about for decades and no one would believe them and now is being proven almost weekly with video, that a certain race is not going to be proud of American history or want to honor it?

Why you get mad when they dont want to be part of or applaud your history or honor the national anthem?

Do you really think any white person would voluntarily agree to be treated the way black people are?

Do you think if white were discriminated agaisnt as much as blacks have and had to grow up in slums or housing projects or the worst parts of town because another race set it up that way, that there wouldn't be a large amount of hate or despise for American history from them?

If the national anthem means so mean to people who, I guarantee sit down when they hear it at home, why dont we go ahead and add back that verse of the song, since its no big deal. I mean why should we care the song is signing about celebrating the death of slaves, is just American history right?

This country wasn't always built on candy cane and cotton candy. We have a past, a history some good , some terrible. I think this country has come a long ways from those dark days of slavery. If one wishes to dwell on the past , they will never grow forward. It is their choice to be disrespect to our country and those that have died for it, those that have sacrificed to make changes. Is it a perfect country ? No, nothing is perfect but we aren't selling slaves anymore are we ? If you choose to be disrespectful, I will look at you in disgust but it is your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies