Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 04:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Nope!

Matter of fact, Ike DID fire Patton, putting him on the sidelines and only returning him back to action in the closing months when the outcome was already certain.
actually the outcome was not already certain when patton was put in command of third army. dont forget that the break out from normandy was till moving slowly, until patton took over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'd go with Omar Bradley.
bradley was one heck of a general, and was a great balance to patton. the two of them made a great team, especially when bradley was put in command of patton in 1944.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 06:27 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
That's an interesting comment. He had "common sense about people" but we call it racism?

First of all, the United States would've won the war without Patton, and Patton is a general that i admire greatly.

However, he was an unmitigated racist, and by denying African Americans a chance to fight, it cost whites thousands of lives.

Better yet, his "common sense" ran counter to facts that he already knew about African Americans in combat because he knew damn well that blacks were among the best (if not THE best) troops in the First World War... a war that he fought in. The French made that very clear when they made sure to HEAVILY decorate African American soldiers for their bravery in WW1.

So, what "common sense about people" are you talking about? And please, don't talk around your statement because we both know what you meant.
He knew the Germans were a hell of a lot smarter and more reasonable than the Russians. And he was 100% right.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:44 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Liberals hate strong men like Patton. That's why they love Obama. Obama, if alive back during WW2, would have never risen above the rank of corporal.
Because he wouldn't have been allowed to fight in most units because of his race... You people need to pick a book and turn the Fox News off for a chance...

Last edited by SHABAZZ310; 10-10-2016 at 06:56 PM..

Old 10-10-2016, 07:06 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Because he wouldn't have been allowed to fight in most units because of his race... You people need to pick a book and turn the Fox News off for a chance...
ROFLMAO....he doesn't have the honor, character, or integrity to have been a Private. But the race excuse always works, right? Then and now.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
ROFLMAO....he doesn't have the honor, character, or integrity to have been a Private. But the race excuse always works, right? Then and now.
If I was a man of military age during WWII, I wouldn't have fought for this country. My two cents...

Old 10-10-2016, 07:20 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
If I was a man of military age during WWII, I wouldn't have fought for this country. My two cents...
You proved my point about Obama and about yourself. LOL

Old 10-10-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
You proved my point about Obama and about yourself. LOL
LOL, you didn't have a point. You're just typing emotionally laced outbursts... Can you believe this guy...

Old 10-10-2016, 07:34 PM

46,956 posts, read 25,990,037 times
You people still think this is about harsh language? Christ. It's not the vocabulary, it's the actions.

Anyway, Patton is overrated.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:44 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
I have my own theories about the reluctance to use black troops in WW2, and much of it has to do with what happened in WW1 between black troops and European women.

Those guys were all trained in conventional warfare, and i don't foresee the United States ever fighting wars like that again. IMO, the era of the "legendary general" is pretty much over.
Perhaps- hard to say.

However, black troops demonstrated well in ww1, the Spanish American War, Indian Wars, and the Civil War.

Despite the myth, blacks were actually under represented as combat troops in Vietnam, relative to their percentage of the US population. A disproportionate percentage of combat casualties was suffered by poor white soldiers.

Racial disparities in combat seem very odd, as "racism" would dictate a larger percentage of minority troops in dangerous, front line combat positions. This was reflected in roles served by black troops in the Civil War.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:18 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
[quote=rbohm;45779904]actually the outcome was not already certain when patton was put in command of third army. dont forget that the break out from normandy was till moving slowly, until patton took over.

Once the Normandy beach head was secured, the outcome was inevitable. Patton might have helped end it all a week earlier. That would have been his great contribution.

Quote:
bradley was one heck of a general, and was a great balance to patton. the two of them made a great team, especially when bradley was put in command of patton in 1944.

Agreed. Bradley was top shelf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies