Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 08:19 PM

32 posts, read 18,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I've been to 9 countries. The US is no longer anything special. We are not leaders in any type of freedom (economic, political, free speech, etc.) except maybe for gun rights. Our quality of life isn't the highest in the world.

American exceptionalism might have been a thing once, but it isn't anymore.
How many 3rd world countries? Cause I thought America sucked till I went to Mexico and Haiti. My girlfriend is from Africa and grew up in a refugee camp and the stories she tells are almost hard to believe they are so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 08:52 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,940,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornbreadFed View Post
How many 3rd world countries? Cause I thought America sucked till I went to Mexico and Haiti. My girlfriend is from Africa and grew up in a refugee camp and the stories she tells are almost hard to believe they are so bad.
There's no doubt that 3rd world countries are worse than the US in virtually every way. I'm not really comparing the US to Haiti anyway. Haiti could be another planet as far as I am concerned. Very few Westerners would consider relocating to Haiti the way they would New Zealand or Ireland.

My real point is that I think most of the reasons right-wingers feel pride in the country are in the past. It's a reverance for what used to be rather than what is today.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:06 PM

32 posts, read 18,682 times
Quote:
There's no doubt that 3rd world countries are worse than the US in virtually every way. I'm not really comparing the US to Haiti anyway. Haiti could be another planet as far as I am concerned. Very few Westerners would consider relocating to Haiti the way they would New Zealand or Ireland.

My real point is that I think most of the reasons right-wingers feel pride in the country are in the past. It's a reverance for what used to be rather than what is today.
Ok, I'm following you now. I will also agree that the US ain't what it used to be and for a developed country we really have some serious issues and dysfunction.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:25 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,863,783 times
Quote:

Invite the 3rd world to America, turn into the 3rd world. I think that's the plan. I agree the real reasons for pride in the country are in the past, but what's old can become new again lol.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:53 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,453,781 times
The justice answered a question without knowing fully what the protest was all about. Now she corrects herself.

Quote:
“Barely aware of the incident or its purpose, my comments were inappropriately dismissive and harsh,” she said. “I should have declined to respond.”
Ruth Bader Ginsburg Says She Never Should've Waded Into Colin Kaepernick Controversy | Huffington Post

Old 10-14-2016, 08:20 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,863,783 times
She apologize for once in her life saying something true and right. I guess that's PC for you, can't tell the truth and can't call a spade a spade.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:31 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,453,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
She apologize for once in her life saying something true and right. I guess that's PC for you, can't tell the truth and can't call a spade a spade.
She is an 83 year old woman of high intelligence who did not use common sense to decline commenting on the issue before fully understanding it. The apology was appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies