Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 01:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, at the very least, though they'll be paying significantly less than others while tending to use more services. It's the cost of living in society. Cut back somewhere else. Get a roommate or 2, use public libraries for internet access, etc. There are plenty of ways to cut expenses and pay your fair share of taxes.

8 people living in this 3BR house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 01:57 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
(singing) Eve of destruction, tax deduction...
You can't tax businesses on their gross revenue. For example, the cost of employees' salaries and benefits are deductible business expenses.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
8 people living in this 3BR house.
So... why are you still having a problem making ends meet? Why aren't you using the sharing and therefore reduction of living expenses to save up for a down payment on a home of your own?

Old 10-13-2016, 02:19 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
So you would rather have the country go bankrupt, or further exacerbate inequality?

There's a pretty big difference between being "equal" and being "fair"!
If the .gov cuts spending to the amount taken in then they won't go bankrupt. I don't care about inequality of outcomes.

Fair is the .gov treating each individual EXACTLY the same. So Mark Cuban's tax rate should be the same as my tax rate should be the same as the guy panhandling at the corner.

I would go further and say there should not be any deductions either. I should not get a benefit for my home mortgage. That is the carrot and stick approach. The .gov should not encourage anyone to buy anything. Same with healthcare. There should not be a tax (aka penalty) for not buying it.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
So... why are you still having a problem making ends meet? Why aren't you using the sharing and therefore reduction of living expenses to save up for a down payment on a home of your own?

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

When the person from whom you rent lives in the same overcrowded house, said rent payee (and their selected freeloaders) is the only one in the house who enjoys the reduction of living expenses.

Think about it.

In this house, the person to whom I pay rent has an adult daughter who lives with her boyfriend in the house for free. Everyone else pays market room rent. The rent payee is a middleman who captures all cost savings while living in the house for free.

Last edited by freemkt; 10-13-2016 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

When the person to whom you rent lives in the same overcrowded house, said rent payee (and their selected freeloaders) is the only one in the house who enjoys the reduction of living expenses.

Think about it.

In this house, the person to whom I pay rent has an adult daughter who lives with her boyfriend in the house for free. Everyone else pays market room rent. The rent payee is a middleman who captures all cost savings while living in the house for free.
Move elsewhere. Why you stay in such a situation is on no one but you.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Move elsewhere. Why you stay in such a situation is on no one but you.

Market conditions = drastic shortage of rooms for rent; overcrowded houses are common here, plus many people literally cannot afford the up front costs of moving. I'm looking but have not found a better room into which I can move.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Market conditions = drastic shortage of rooms for rent; overcrowded houses are common here, plus many people literally cannot afford the up front costs of moving. I'm looking but have not found a better room into which I can move.
How have you not yet figured out that you're living in the wrong locale, given your income and the value of your labor?

Move elsewhere, where the cost of living is lower and minimum wage goes much further. As poor as you are, you can't possible have many personal belongings. Moving should be easy for you.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:52 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
??? ??? ??? ??? I make $15K per year. Why can't someone making $50K per year get beyond living paycheck to paycheck?
A. How do you afford internet?
B. Does your job allow you to be on theirs?

I'd work 2 or 3 jobs (have before) before I'd live in a commune. Oh ya, I'd also move.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
How much tax should a childless min wage worker pay?

The same as any other person, or none at all like every other person. That way our government does treat us all equally.

The same as my neighbor and I are taxed, to the dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies