Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 01:13 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times

Advertisements

Ski jump carrier in the English Channel is just Putin bravado ...lol...it just reminds me of the NBC Winter Olympic infomercial of the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat when that skier went head over heels,crashed and burned off that ski jump!
Putin's destiny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 01:14 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T310

And yet the Fifth Fleet has US carriers at its disposal in the Gulf.

Nobody was stating otherwise, indeed the American Navy also make use of Diego Garcia part of the British Indian Ocean Territory, as well as our bases on Cyprus and Gibralter, whilst Britain also maintains an airbase in Qatar known as RAF Al Udeid which is located 17 miles (27 km) south west of Doha and Britain has a Naval Base HMS Juffair in Bahrain which we have just invested a substantial amount in.

RAF Al Udeid -Wiki

Operation Shader - Wiki

Diego Garcia - Wiki

HMS Juffair - Wiki

Royal Navy base construction begins in Bahrain as Britain seeks a return to 'East of Suez' | The Independent

So it's an area we already have covered, as for the delays in the Carriers, this is partly due to the delays in the US F-35 programme, however HMS Queen Elizabeth will be handed over to the Royal Navy in 2017, and HMS Prince of Wales is now over 85% built and will be handed over to the Royal Navy in a few years.

As for the British role in the Middle East, it's not one of indiscriminate bombing like the Russians, Britain's role is mainly to do with Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) coupled with the precision targeting of IS positions using sophisticated missiles such as Brimstone in order that the civilian population is not injured.

Sadly the Russians are just taking their heap of junk aircraft carrier to the gulf in order to bomb the hell out of anything that moves which is what they have been doing in Aleppo, which is why the US and UK have been calling for further sanctions against Putin's Russia.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-23-2016 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 05:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did you know we have a P-3 base in Masriah? besides Dodge. Well P-8's now. The old P-3 was Harpoon capable and was a formidable ship killer. Not sure about the P-8 The Ruskis are not threatening us anytime soon....Not in a ship to ship action....

Old 10-23-2016, 05:24 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Wow...this is the Russia we're supposed to fear?
It's their nuclear capability and unpredictability in the face a serious economic downturn and poor demographics. Their cyber attack capabilities are nothing to sneeze at either.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:21 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did you know we have a P-3 base in Masriah? besides Dodge. Well P-8's now. The old P-3 was Harpoon capable and was a formidable ship killer. Not sure about the P-8 The Ruskis are not threatening us anytime soon....Not in a ship to ship action....

Britain has always had a close relationship with Oman, and established a military presence on Masirah in the 1930s until 1977.

Britain is currently opening a new Oman Military Base near the port city of Duqm on the Arabian Sea, the new British military facility will be able to accomodate Britain's new Aircraft Carriers and will help provide a permanent base for British troops to train alongside Omani forces. This will be Britain's second new Naval Base in the region the other being HMS Juffair in Bahrain, which is mentioned in an earlier post.

Britain mulls Omani naval port development | Naval Today

Oman's Duqm port to support Royal Navy vessels | IHS Jane's 360

UK seeks permanent army training base in Oman - Politics & Economics - Arabian Business.com

Britain also held Military Exercises with Jordan earlier this year, another Middle East country the UK enjoys a good relationship with.

British troops train in Jordan - British Army Website

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-24-2016 at 05:18 AM..

Old 10-24-2016, 04:56 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Ski jump carrier in the English Channel is just Putin bravado ...lol...it just reminds me of the NBC Winter Olympic infomercial of the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat when that skier went head over heels,crashed and burned off that ski jump!
Putin's destiny!
That is the old ABC Wide World of Sports opening theme. We must keep our popular culture references correct.

If anything the story sounds like the Russian fleet's journey to be sunk by the Japanese.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:58 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
It was announced by Russian media back in January that their one carrier, a 30 year old jump carrier, would be deployed to the Mediterranean in October in order to launch air strikes in Syria. So the title of this thread should actually be:

Russia finally gets around to moving its only carrier through the English Channel on its way to Syria

Couldn't rep you again, yet.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:22 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The UK does not have any carriers, they cannot deploy aircraft without a land based airstrip. That is a critical element of projection of power. Despite the age and rather POS aspect of it, it is quite capable of launching some 40 aircraft for combat operations, something the UK currently is not capable of doing.

I did not knock the UK navy, but I do think it is a bit ridiculous for the UK and others to be mocking the Russian carrier, when the UK itself does not have one, and cannot carry out such a role at this time.

As for the mechanics of it, even the UK has issues, in that they need to replace all of its new Type-45 destroyers' propulsion systems.

Did not say the UK was helpless, I stated "more than what the UK can do" which is a fact; the UK cannot deploy ship borne aircraft. The ability to deploy ship borne aircraft is an important element of the projection of power.

I have liaison with the UK navy for two years when I was in the US Navy, so it is not like I am absent of what they do. I stated a simple fact "more than what the UK can do", which I fail to see what you do not understand about it. The UK does not have the ability to deploy ship borne aircraft. All of your advance submarine, destroyers, etc talk does not have anything to do with the deployment of aircraft, nor do any of them replace that capability.

The Type-45 destroyers need their propulsion systems replaced, so the UK is not immune to ship issues. Nearing completion is not being complete, and it does not negate the fact the UK currently does not have ship borne aircraft capability.

"More than the UK can do", is still inaccurate. They are doing , as we speak, far more. Yes, carrier borne air power is central to major force projection, which has been recognized since Dec 7,1941. The US Navy had to learn the hard way that the age of the Battleship was closing. Still, we used them up through the early 90s. To good effect in the roles assigned, actually. I well remember the Jersey pounding Lebanon with 16" gunfire. Though, IMHO, the 8" guns of a Cruiser were, pound for pound, more effective for ship to shore. But I'm just reminiscing. Those "glory days" are gone. With the UKs new carriers coming on line , and I'm certain they aren't sitting on their hands about propulsion upgrades for their ships of the line, and other such issues, I'm still favorably impressed with the Royal Navy. And all the UK fighting forces. Land, air and sea.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:24 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
The glory day of the manned aircraft over drones that can out maneuver them because a pilot doesn't have to be kept alive is also over

Old 10-24-2016, 08:46 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The glory day of the manned aircraft over drones that can out maneuver them because a pilot doesn't have to be kept alive is also over

Yes, it's heading that way. The Air Force has had an air battle force concept, for a while now, of airborne "battleships", able to carry and launch UAVs, and direct them from standoff distances. It's a pretty cool idea. What they are working on for cruise missile tech is as well. Such missiles would be as much an expendable UAV as a missile. Able to loiter over a target, dispensing submunitions on targets of opportunity, before smashing into a primary target when the submunitions are depleted. With both preprogrammed and directed capability. Fire and forget, or stay and play. Where they are actually at with this concept is anyones guess. But scuttlebutt has such things being tested not far from where I sit, now.

Lol, theres always some cool rumor or another coming out of S NV. Imagine our carriers deploying that kind of tech. The permutations are endless. Much smaller vessels would be able to put such things to use as well. Yea, it all sounds pretty SciFi, or perhaps Tom Clancy. A guy named Dale Brown has written novels about such technology. Things are actually advancing toward such things becoming reality, though. Yes, the "golden age" of aces and angels may, indeed be closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies