Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 04:55 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Okay. I'm going to assume that you really want to know what white privilege is, and further assume that you are not familiar with searching for online resources.

Here ya go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

*Very* extensive article.

But if you don't want to read all that stuff, here are some examples.

>> If an adult can go into a store and wander around looking at stuff and not be watched/followed by a store employee, that adult might just be white.

>> If a person buys a new house in a nice neighborhood and just assumes that he will be accepted and treated pleasantly by his neighbors, that person might just be white.

>> If a person is pulled over by a cop and doesn't immediately break into a sweat, that person might just be white.
I suppose that all comes from prior experience, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 04:57 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Do people with "white privilege" get to pick and choose when to use it?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:03 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Do people with "white privilege" get to pick and choose when to use it?
Yes. Sometimes at a concert or sports event, I just show my White ID, and go right past hundreds of cars waiting in line.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:05 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
It is projection of the entitled minority class.

Basically, they project that white people are privileged and then demand compensation in return, there by giving themselves more entitlements.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:07 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Yes. Sometimes at a concert or sports event, I just show my White ID, and go right past hundreds of cars waiting in line.
Damn, as a non-white I always wondered why those lines were so long.

I just figured the cops up ahead directing traffic were really dragging black folks out of their cars and executing them. That happens every five minutes according to the media.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:26 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Okay. I'm going to assume that you really want to know what white privilege is, and further assume that you are not familiar with searching for online resources.

Here ya go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

*Very* extensive article.

But if you don't want to read all that stuff, here are some examples.
I'm white, so let's try:

Quote:
If an adult can go into a store and wander around looking at stuff and not be watched/followed by a store employee, that adult might just be white.
That has happened to me.

Quote:
If a person buys a new house in a nice neighborhood and just assumes that he will be accepted and treated pleasantly by his neighbors, that person might just be white.
I don't have the money for a house...is that coming soon in my "white privilege" package? What age do I have to be to get that package? Also, I never assume how the neighbors will be because in the areas I've lived in, which are not bad, I've had some real nasty neighbors. No, they don't all accept and treat pleasantly. Not by a long shot.

Quote:
If a person is pulled over by a cop and doesn't immediately break into a sweat, that person might just be white.
I always get nervous around the cops even when I've done nothing wrong except speed a little. I never know what they are going to do, what their agenda is. I make sure to keep my hands on my steering wheel where they can see them at all times, especially if I get pulled over at night, and I tell them that I'm reaching in to my glove compartment now, or my bag, or my pocket.

When I was younger and far more rebellious than I am now, I smart mouthed 2 cops. (So much for that myth that some of us will only say things on the internet, not in real life...nope, I'll say it in real life, too.) One wrote me a ticket for it after saying, "I can't believe you just said that". I had called out his fellow cops for speeding down the highway on their way to nowhere. How did I know, I was a courier and just happened to take the same route, they weren't going anywhere special, they were speeding to get through lights. The other asked me if I would like to explain it to a judge to which I replied I'd rather explain it to him. I've been asked to step out of my car before, and even though they say it's for "safety" along the highway, the last thing anyone wants to do is step out of their car, no matter their skin color.

I've also had people lock their doors when I cross the street to go to the other side...in the crosswalk...when it's my turn.

When I used to take the bus to work, I have been threatened several times on the bus by people...all I was doing was looking out the window trying to get to work or get back home. Wasn't talking to anyone, wasn't looking at anyone.

I've had people act like I'm going to rob them when I simply ask them for the time.

I've had people get up in my face for no reason, literally, nothing legit at all.

I had a group of 3 girls, different race than me, start walking behind me after I innocently passed by them on the sidewalk on my way home after getting off the bus from work, heard them say that they were going to jack me up, shank me...because I was white.

So spare me this ridiculousness that these kinds of things only happen to people who aren't white.

For the record, I don't look intimidating at all, nor do I look like I'm going to rob anyone, nor do I go out of my way to cause problems with people...well, except when I've had enough of cops pulling me over for speeding, (which I haven't got a ticket in over 10 years now...it was when I was younger and driving for a living), so what is the excuse for all of that happening? Where was my white privilege then?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:35 PM

800 posts, read 508,516 times
Geez, if I knew I had white privilege then on that job application I filled out today I should've checked the white/caucasian box. Getting the job should be in the bag then given my qualifications and especially race huh?

Actually I checked "prefer not to answer". Since the white guy box can NOT help me. Its either a non factor or it could hurt my chances, but never help.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:38 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
Actually I checked "prefer not to answer". Since the white guy box can NOT help me. Its either a non factor or it could hurt my chances, but never help.
I bet they just assume you're just regular unleaded white if you don't answer, and to the bottom of the pile your application goes. No affirmative action for you .

Old 11-02-2016, 06:05 PM

1,008 posts, read 487,346 times
White privilege is what non-whites blame their personal+professional failures on.

kind of like how "affirmative action" or "illegal immigrants" is what whites blame their personal+professional failures on.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:07 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, the title of the thread is not some rhetorical question. I would really like to know what white privilege is. I have been in discussions with people who give examples of white privilege which are just simply acts of racism. So why not call them racism? I have gotten other examples, things like; hair care products aimed at a white person's hair texture are more common than the same product suited for a black person's hair texture. I have said that if that is an example of white privilege, than it is kind of "average-size" privilege that clothes and furniture are more often suited for average-sized frames than they are tall or overweight frames? Is there a right-hander privilege given that the world has been better suited for right-handedness? Anyway, I have become curious about white privilege and what it is all about.
There's no such thing as white privilege. There's 'non white disprivilege' and because 'white privilege' rolls off the tongue better, that's what we say, but there's no privilege, there's just disprivilege that some other races feel on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies