Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:35 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why not? Non union jobs would be available for you to take. Why not take one of those?

I mean, you conservatives are so principled!

Go over to the Dairy Queen and work under the conditions that you want everyone else to work under. Don't take a good union gig from a true believer.

Whatever. You'd swim across a lake full of piranhas to get a union gig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In Toledo you can find a non-union job. So if you are against unions and don't have any skills and need to work in a production/manufacturing environment, you can find a job. Only difference is the union outfits pay more.

If you truly are against unions, then like they said at the beginning of the thread, you should work at the place without a union for $11 an hour instead of the union place for $16-$30 an hour.

Live by your principles.
if you guys had ever bothered to actually READ AND UNDERSTAND what i wrote, and have written, about unions over the years, you would understand that i do respect what unions have done for this country since they were founded. you would also note that i despise the union bosses these days that are not doing their jobs to work for the employees, but rather only to enrich themselves, and gain their own power.

fortunately i have never had to join a union, and pay the dues that would have cut severely into my take home pay, and i have never had to follow ridiculous union work rules, stupid stuff like i have to wait for a damned union electrician to change a light bulb(find one of those idiots at 2:30 in the morning).

in the end its you guys that are being ridiculous about this, someone needs work to support their families, and you excoriate him for having to join a union to get a job. all i can say to you guys, stuff it. there might be non union jobs available, but how many of them were offered to him? we only know that the chrysler job WAS offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 11:24 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Of course. NO CONSERVATIVE on the planet will turn down a union gig. Not one.
lol Plenty have. I'm one. Not that Joe the Plumber was conservative. He's for big government like you.

Quote:
And any of them coming on here saying otherwise is lying.
As if the truth matters to you one iota. How could it? You supported the biggest bald faced liar we've ever had as president so why listen to you about the truth?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:32 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I've always supported private unions and even public unions to some extent....not that there are many private union workers anymore thanks to the Clintons and republicans passing NAFTA.

The only place it gets tricky is when the public unions become politically entrenched and corrupt. For example, Philly plumbing unions kept PVC pipe out of the city for a loooong time because it would require less labor and held up the construction of a green flushless building until they agreed to fully install plumbing in the design that would never be used.

Then you start getting into the cycle of campaign contribution requirements to the politicians that are essentially their bosses and it's ultimately the taxpayers and unconnected that suffer. I've seen so many corruption scandals come out of the public unions in Chicago over the years it makes Wells Fargo look like an upstanding corporate citizen.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:56 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've always supported private unions and even public unions to some extent....not that there are many private union workers anymore thanks to the Clintons and republicans passing NAFTA.

The only place it gets tricky is when the public unions become politically entrenched and corrupt. For example, Philly plumbing unions kept PVC pipe out of the city for a loooong time because it would require less labor and held up the construction of a green flushless building until they agreed to fully install plumbing in the design that would never be used.

Then you start getting into the cycle of campaign contribution requirements to the politicians that are essentially their bosses and it's ultimately the taxpayers and unconnected that suffer. I've seen so many corruption scandals come out of the public unions in Chicago over the years it makes Wells Fargo look like an upstanding corporate citizen.

You might be interested in this:
Is PVC Plumbing Really Better Than Copper?

and this:Copper vs Plastic Pipes in Buildings: Which is Better?

Old 10-17-2016, 12:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Except I have LEFT a couple of union jobs, not at all because of politics but because I came to the conclusion I could do better on my own without the corruption and pay to play/nepotism. Sorry, I refuse to pay the dispatcher/union rep my hard earned $$$ over and above union dues to get a back door dispatch.

Unions only exist to keep the incompetent/mediocre employed.
Lol...none of that ever happened. Sounds good though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, now being a union member is joining a cult? Yeah, "true believer", I've seen that attitude usually from those leaning on their shovels, shop stewards and business agents etc.
Why take a union job if you hate unions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
There is nothing wrong with unions, per se.

I'm sure he is still opposed to corrupt politicians in both political parties in government, spreading our tax dollars around. It's fairly pervasive, it's difficult to not find a big company that is not leaching off government.
Fair enough.

But he came out as a union bashing anti card check conservative.

So why take a union gig if you're against unions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Chrysler was saved???

funny, because the Italians (Fiat) now own Chrysler

Done deal: Fiat owns Chrysler

Fiat owns: Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Ram and SRT
None of that is relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Of course not, because a union gig is the easiest thing in the world to manipulate for maximum personal benefit.

For the vast majority of people, self-interest takes precedence over ideology. Everyone knows that a union job is the closest thing to free money and vacation outside of welfare.

Is it hypocritical? Yep. But self-interest usually is.
So from now on, when a conservative starts spewing that anti union stuff, you're telling me that I should ignore them because they're lying and would take a union job in a minute?

I got news for you: I knew that already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if you guys had ever bothered to actually READ AND UNDERSTAND what i wrote, and have written, about unions over the years, you would understand that i do respect what unions have done for this country since they were founded. you would also note that i despise the union bosses these days that are not doing their jobs to work for the employees, but rather only to enrich themselves, and gain their own power.

fortunately i have never had to join a union, and pay the dues that would have cut severely into my take home pay, and i have never had to follow ridiculous union work rules, stupid stuff like i have to wait for a damned union electrician to change a light bulb(find one of those idiots at 2:30 in the morning).

in the end its you guys that are being ridiculous about this, someone needs work to support their families, and you excoriate him for having to join a union to get a job. all i can say to you guys, stuff it. there might be non union jobs available, but how many of them were offered to him? we only know that the chrysler job WAS offered.
The Chrysler job was offered AFTER HE APPLIED FOR IT!

He could've walked right over to Jack in the Box or Walmart and EASILY found a non union job that'll hire him on the spot.

So why didn't he do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol Plenty have. I'm one. Not that Joe the Plumber was conservative. He's for big government like you.

As if the truth matters to you one iota. How could it? You supported the biggest bald faced liar we've ever had as president so why listen to you about the truth?
I didn't tell you to respond to this thread. Listen to me? Hell, if you don't like it, put me on ignore. I gives less than a damn. It ain't like I like you anymore than you like me.

So whatever dude.

Moreover, you turned down a union job and you live in Texas? Nonsense. No way. It never happened.

Besides, with the exception of a tiny few employers, being union in Texas is practically meaningless. You guy's wages are mostly garbage anyway. After the pickup payment and the trailer mortgage, ain't much left. But then, that's the Southern Dream so what use would you have for a union anyway?

So...bleh..

Old 10-17-2016, 12:09 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Let's face it, if die-hard Republicans had two job offers, one that paid $16 an hour with union benefits and clauses that they can't be fired on the spot and required them to pay union dues, or one that paid $11 an hour and had at-will employment conditions (can be fired for any non-legally protected reason to the uninitiated), it's obvious the majority are going to take the union job.
I doubt it. Republicans tend to be very principled and almost always place integrity over basic self-interest.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:24 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I doubt it. Republicans tend to be very principled and almost always place integrity over basic self-interest.
Lol! I call total BS on it and you know it

Old 10-17-2016, 12:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Lol @ "survival." The guy was supposedly a plumber or plumber's helper with enough skill that he was contemplating buying the business from his boss.

Now they tell us that he's now a union autoworker because he'd starve to death without the job.

But I'm the bad guy for pointing out that he's a phony! LMAO...only in conservativeland!
Wasn't he also contemplating running for public office?

Old 10-17-2016, 12:28 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:

So from now on, when a conservative starts spewing that anti union stuff, you're telling me that I should ignore them because they're lying and would take a union job in a minute?

I got news for you: I knew that already.
Nah, do whatever you want. I agree there is hypocrisy involved. But the union jobs are so great precisely because of the things they criticize unions for. It's why there are few private unions anymore.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:39 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

On this, I posted from local perspective. There are a lot of jobs open in Toledo and so if someone like you, who needs work to support a family but doesn't want to join a union, you can find a non-union job. I have other family members who don't work union jobs and they like their jobs and they are paid well. I have 3 brothers, 2 of them work for UAW outfits and one works a non-union job. He makes less than the union brothers per hour but it works out for him since he works more hours and gets more overtime.

So old Joe could have just gone to the place my little brother works and get a job and would not have to pay to be in the union. There are plenty of places that pay decently around here for unskilled production workers. However, all of them have a lower hourly rate than the union places.

IMO it is hypocritical to use your family as an excuse to take a position that pays more in regards to a union position and then claim not to support unions as a whole.

And I understood what you said in tha tyou don't like certain "union bosses." FWIW, I don't like everything about unions (I don't like everything about anything lol) but I both respect and support unions because they actually do provide a great benefit to employees/members and especially so in regards to benefits and pay scale. Focusing on that is more important IMO than focusing on their negatives because even with their negatives, in this area, they provide a huge incentive for working for those organizations.

I'll also note that it is a rather long process to get hired at Chrysler. You have to have a medical exam, a drug screen, take a written test and come in for at least 2 interviews. It can take 3 months unless you know someone in the union who can pull some strings (which we have in our family but even then it can take about a month and unless you pass the tests, you won't go onto the next level). It would have been quicker for him, if his family needed to be supported to just go to a temp service and get a job making $13 an hour. You can get one in a day around here if you are wiling to work and don't use drugs. And FWIW Chrysler actually does hire from temp services and will start employees at $13 an hour too, but they still have to go through the other screenings/tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies