Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 06:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times

Advertisements

Massive defense spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 06:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Republicans, Democrats - different sides of the same coin.

We have a bloated government that has essentially no accountability that spends money like drunken sailors.

The answer is a smaller and less powerful federal government.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:03 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,581 times
Originally Posted by steven_h
Yea, I know... I was hoping Chad might go start digging up all the great things he (Obama, the Dems as well as the Republicans) spent OUR money on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Shrug. We spend a lot of money on a lot of great things. It seems to me that many who object are just upset that we are helping poor people, instead of rich ones.

Meanwhile the rich ones are trying their best to make sure its the middle class paying for it....and grabbing what they can.

I know many disagree, and view taxes as theft.
I view that argument as a bunch of unrealistic nonsense.
In reality you and I agree on more than you think. I believe in a more pure welfare system which is not a lifelong entitlement, and certainly understand that taxes are needed.

Yes, I know well how the middle class is squeezed. I am self-employed with a fairly low income yet between all taxes and fees I paid nearly 40% of my income last year. Keep in mind I live in CA so just about everything I buy gets hit with a 10% sales tax, and all of my utilities are hit with fees that bump them 15-20%.

As for the bolded in your post; I view the politicians who blow our tax revenue like drunken sailors as the thieves... because they are! I don't blame the taxes, I blame the collectors.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:34 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
I'm registered as unaffiliated, my #1 choice would be lame attempts to police the world.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:39 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What are examples of government waste and inefficiencies from a Democrat's perspective?
Freedom, Individual liberty, Individual choice, consequence, Justice, etc...

You get the point.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:40 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,279 times
Democrats see national defense as wasteful and bloated but not anything related to other types of expenditures such as social spending. Of course, Democrats are all in favor of national defense pork that benefits their constituents.

Republicans cannot see any waste in national defense spending but (claim) to see almost all other spending as wasteful. Of course, Republicans are all in favor of non-national defense pork that helps benefits their constituents.

Still others of us see nearly everything the government does as wasteful.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:47 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,503 times
Bush's pathetically misguided war in Iraq has blown $819 Billion and counting according to the link below. And I've seen the number quoted at 1.7 Trillion and counting. We could be employing talentless frustrated white dudes (Trump voters) in fly-over states nicely with that... if they are willing to work. Somehow they are angry at Democrats and not Repubs for prioritizing Iraqi Kurds over downtrodden Ohioans, Iowans, etc. Bizarre...

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/c...FUEfhgod86YF_g

Old 10-18-2016, 12:52 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Shrug. We spend a lot of money on a lot of great things. It seems to me that many who object are just upset that we are helping poor people, instead of rich ones.

Meanwhile the rich ones are trying their best to make sure its the middle class paying for it....and grabbing what they can.

I know many disagree, and view taxes as theft. I view that argument as a bunch of unrealistic nonsense.
Are you saying taxation isn't theft because...a society without taxation is unrealistic?

Old 10-18-2016, 12:55 PM

7,810 posts, read 6,389,279 times
They probably consider any money left over in people's paychecks as waste.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:58 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Republicans, Democrats - different sides of the same coin.

We have a bloated government that has essentially no accountability that spends money like drunken sailors.

The answer is a smaller and less powerful federal government.
More corporate power and a smaller govt. to keep an eye on them? No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies