Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:35 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times

Advertisements

Also, through the 1994 Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances*, both the USA & Russia agreed to respect Ukraine's borders. However, the agreement was something Russia obviously never intended to uphold. As for the USA, obviously a much lesser transgression in any case, but one wonders what the point is of a security assurance if little really follows? Obama refused to allow any lethal weapons to go to Ukraine, for counterterrorist operations.

* see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budape...ity_Assurances
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:36 AM

700 posts, read 638,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Putin Clearly Explains the difference between Russia and the US here. He describes the difference in our philosophies .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JVR0zAiyw0
For anyone not wanting to endure through another 5-minute Putin video, here's a summary of his insufferable nonsense.
  • Russians believe in the collective whereas Americans believe in the individual.
  • Mentions just about every major historical sin committed by the United States.
  • Doesn't mention any major historical sins committed by Russia.
  • Implies that America is fundamentally racist. Uses excerpts from Colin Powell's book as an example.
  • Describes Japan as "a neutered power" in 1945 when the atomic bombs were dropped.
  • Doesn't mention that the USSR invaded Japan 3 days after the first atomic bomb was dropped.
  • Insinuates that Stalin wouldn't have dropped the atomic bombs unless the very existence of the USSR was threatened.
  • Doesn't mention that when Truman informed Stalin of America's possession of a weapon of "unusual destructive force", Stalin replied that he hoped the U.S. would make good use of it against the Japanese.
  • Talks about Soviet and U.S. cooperation in World Wars 1 and 2.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Putin is a neo-Stalinist thug who controls the Russian media, suppresses dissent, murders political opponents, and runs the country as a kleptocratic oligarchy. How anyone who claims to be a freedom loving American can admire this guy is beyond me.
Exactly.
When people claim that he has majority support in his country, does it occur to them how that is actually computed?

Do they honestly believe that the opinions of the average person in Russia are really being taken into account?

If so, there's this bridge...

Old 10-18-2016, 08:39 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
SO flippin what? What does it matter what Putin does? Why should we get involved in any of Russia peccadilloes? Or any other ones else for that matter? America's policy of intervention in these other country is ridiculous. I say that as PG1 vet who's son was in Iraq who's Father and Grandfather were Vet's The overt meddling in other country's affairs leading to the death and dismemberment of our men and women has got to stop.....
It is utterly ridiculous and sometimes results in mutual hate by the both the party we have supported and the other side along with the thousands of sick and injured and billions of dollars wasted.

Besides the Balkans, which was UN-led but with lots of American participation, I am hard-pressed to see any of the major military interventions in the last 30 years with a positive impact. This includes all the right wing insurgencies we supported throughout the 80s.

As for Putin, the linked videos include lots of negative propaganda about America. Anyone admiring him should go visit Russia and see how great things are there.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
more proof that the biased left wing media wants to fuel cold war fears. Putin and Obama are two very different leaders. One of them is respected by the rest of the world and not a wuss
On the bold, not sure who the bold is in reference too, Putin or Obama, but it is always interesting to me that many people on the right feel that Obama is not looked upon positively by the rest of the world when by all accounts he is viewed very positively, and especially by our allies in Europe and other nations in the world.

Pew Research 7 Worldwide Views of President Obama

From the link on polls of opinions regarding Obama in 2015 in S. America, N. America, Europe, Asia, and Australia:

Quote:
Globally, Obama’s image is mostly positive. Across the 40 countries polled, a median of 65% say they have confidence in Obama to do the right thing in world affairs. A median of just 27% lack confidence in the American leader. Overall, Obama remains much more popular globally than his predecessor, but opinions vary significantly across nations and regions.

Russia, Putin Held in Low Regard Around the World

From this link also from 2015, it shows that contrary to above about the US and Obama, that the approval ratings of Russia and Putin are much less than Obama:

Quote:
Outside its own borders, neither Russia nor its president, Vladimir Putin, receives much respect or support, according to a new Pew Research Center survey. A median of only 30% see Russia favorably in the nations outside of Russia. Its image trails that of the United States in nearly every region of the world. At the same time, a median of only 24% in the countries surveyed have confidence in Putin to do the right thing in world affairs, and there is far less faith in the Russian leader than there is in U.S. President Barack Obama.
and
Quote:
In only two nations – Vietnam (70%) and China (54%) – do more than half the public have confidence in Russian President Vladimir Putin to do the right thing in world affairs. Among the 39 nations surveyed outside of Russia, a median of just 24% see him in a positive light. Nevertheless, Putin remains popular at home, with an 88% positive rating.
On the blue, I'm also not sure I believe he is rated that high in a country as varied as Russia. It is well known that Russia has heavily censored media and I doubt that they are reporting the truth about the populace. I don't think that Putin would be viewed as overwhelmingly negative in Russia but 88% favorability is just way too high of a number IMO to believe.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:01 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
This is from the summer .....

Putin is a smart leader. The US and our citizens have this stipulation that Russia is this big evil empire, but in reality I believe the US has become that role. The Obozo administration is taken our relations to such low levels with Russia. It is scary. American propaganda also feeds us false information about Russia. Imagine being able to actually work with them in sryia? I believe this war would be over by now. What do we have to lose with working with Russia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBTBBNOtbhM
The first thing everyone needs to understand is that if something doesn't make sense, it's because they don't know the whole story. Once they do get the facts, then it will make sense.

First, the American public has been led to believe that we are fighting against terrorist groups like Al Qaeda and ISIS, when the reality is the exact opposite. We created them, funded them, trained them, and provided the weaponry and munitions being used by them. They are our proxy "rebel force" being used to destabilize and overthrow existing governments throughout the Middle East.

So now you know why we have such heartburn with Russia and Syria teaming up, and bombing the day lights out of the murderous demonic maniacs of ISIS. If they were indeed our enemy, as the media brainwashes you into believing ... we would obviously take no issue with Russia destroying them.

This reality, however hard it may be for some to accept, is proven beyond any doubt, by the recent talk of the Obamination administration considering direct US military intervention in Syria, whose target is not ISIS, but is instead, the government of Syria and its military forces battling the Islamic demons named ISIS.

It's really not hard to grasp. 2+2=4 .... And there is no excuse for anyone to be confused. It's in your face.

Furthermore, the real danger in remaining ignorant to this reality is that should we actually do use direct military action in Syria as we have done in Irag, Afghanistan, and Libya, we will unavoidably be directly engaging Russian forces there defending Syria, leading to direct war between the United States and Russia.

As insane as that may be, that seems to be what the powers that be want to make happen. So if the American people remain in this state of ignorance, and allow the establishment Criminal Clinton in the White House, that is what you have to look forward to ... World War III.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 10-18-2016 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-18-2016, 09:15 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Putin is a neo-Stalinist thug who controls the Russian media, suppresses dissent, murders political opponents, and runs the country as a kleptocratic oligarchy. How anyone who claims to be a freedom loving American can admire this guy is beyond me.
Many Americans don't love freedom, that's a fact.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:31 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
How on earth does a Q and A equal "Crushes Troll" ??? In alternate reality world, I guess.
It was Trump who was circulating the claim Putin called him "brilliant". Putin clarified that there was nothing lost in translation. Chock that one up in the 80 percent of the time Trump lies category.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:17 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Once again, this thread as well as my thesis are about Putin, or Russia more generally. Not the USA or its foreign policy.
OK I'll make it about Putin...Who gives a rip? Let him Devastate his own country...Or all of Europe for that matter.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:20 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It is utterly ridiculous and sometimes results in mutual hate by the both the party we have supported and the other side along with the thousands of sick and injured and billions of dollars wasted.

Besides the Balkans, which was UN-led but with lots of American participation, I am hard-pressed to see any of the major military interventions in the last 30 years with a positive impact. This includes all the right wing insurgencies we supported throughout the 80s.

As for Putin, the linked videos include lots of negative propaganda about America. Anyone admiring him should go visit Russia and see how great things are there.

Been there, NO Thanks!!
To many bugs and they are way behind on toilet technology for me!!! My world travels are over! I'm staying right here, in the rear with gear!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies