Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:35 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,186,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It would have to be an incredibly well placed shot and an unusually powerful bb gun (there are some out there but not very common).
All it takes is a shot to the eye and you're blind and possibly dead.

Mother of man killed by BB gun speaks out - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Old 10-19-2016, 07:36 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I expected nothing less from you. Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest when split second decisions count.
Monday morning quarterbacking without all the facts, or indeed, actual misinformation, has become the national pastime.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Mentally ill people do things we do not understand. We need people trained in dealing with them. Far too often bad things happen to people who are having mental or medical issues.

Being mentally ill isn't a disqualafier for having a real gun or shooting a cop.

Would you bet your life on the person pointing a gun at you not pulling the trigger because they're mentally ill?

Would you bet your life on the gun not being real or not being loaded because the person is mentally ill?

Remember, the whole thing is likely to go down in a matter of seconds.

So, if you wouldn't risk your life on those suppositions because the person might be mentally ill......

Why do you expect a cop to?

Old 10-19-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
All it takes is a shot to the eye and you're blind and possibly dead.

Mother of man killed by BB gun speaks out - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee
That's why I said, a well placed shot.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:51 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Trust the judgement of the spouse or relative...it was a book or he isn't armed???

some air rifles push 177 or 22 cal pellets out at 22 cal ammo speeds.

states like Nj legally equate a bbgun to an AR. same rules apply

so looking down a muzzle you see a 22 sized opening.... bbgun or firearm?
I'm not sure I understand your point. No bb pistol is deadly. Might shoot your eye out, but it's not deadly.

If the man knew it was a bb pistol (which in some dispute in this thread), then he should not have called the police. It's pretty well known that the police shoot people who wield gun-like objects.

And since he knew that this woman's very own father had been killed only ten years ago while wielding a gun-like object, it was certainly known to him that police shoot people who wield gun-like objects.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:52 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruspalinski View Post
Texas police say woman who was shot and killed by officers aimed a BB gun at them and refused instructions to drop the weapon | Daily Mail Online

Very sad, but judging by the picture it looks pretty real from a distance, I find the shooting justified.

Looks like a textbook case of suicide by cop.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:54 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
That's why I said, a well placed shot.
S**t not even that, BB guns have no rifling (unless its a pellet gun) and the BB itself is not an aerodynamic projectile, pistol style BB or even pellet guns have terrible accuracy past even 10-15 feet. You don't just need a well placed shot, you need an insanely lucky one-in-a-million statistical anomaly to occur. Then even if it hits someone in the eye, it would still have to go through another insanely lucky set of coincidences to manage to make its way into the brain without hitting any thick bone plates etc.

I would be willing to bet in the mentioned case it was a pellet rifle, those can be substantially more accurate and powerful.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 10-19-2016 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-19-2016, 07:54 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If the man knew she had a "gun like object" that was not a gun, he should not have called the police.
Again (I don't know why I continually have to repeat myself and maybe I should just ignore when people ignore the point the first time) we have no idea what all was going on.

A person can no long simply get a mentally ill person committed like you once could. She had two small children. Maybe he was concerned that she would harm them and figured that getting the authorities involved would get her committed. We do not know.

Quote:
Or maybe he thought the police would not shoot a white woman, no matter what.

But the history of her father having been killed by police while wielding a toy gun I suspect set the direction for the daughter's particular method of death in her derangement.
Perhaps so. Mental illness can run in a family. We should be able.to get them treatment.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:03 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Did the husband not know whether or not it was a real gun?
Beginning to think the husband wanted to rid himself of her.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:44 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Being mentally ill isn't a disqualafier for having a real gun or shooting a cop.
Of course not.

Quote:
Would you bet your life on the person pointing a gun at you not pulling the trigger because they're mentally ill?
In this instance it would depend on what I knew.

Quote:
Would you bet your life on the gun not being real or not being loaded because the person is mentally ill?

Remember, the whole thing is likely to go down in a matter of seconds.

So, if you wouldn't risk your life on those suppositions because the person might be mentally ill......

Why do you expect a cop to?
I can't answer that in this case yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies