Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 07:44 AM

88,692 posts, read 44,457,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You don't think there are jobs in Chicago requiring a person to be bilingual and speak Spanish and English? There are.
Yes, I know. I'm the one who made that point. English speaking Americans are disqualified from many jobs if they don't also speak Spanish.

And I'm still waiting for someone to answer this question...

How are all these immigrants who supposedly don't speak English passing the Naturalization tests?
Quote:
Speaking Test

Your ability to speak English will be determined by a USCIS Officer during your eligibility interview on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Reading Test

You must read aloud one out of three sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to read in English. The Reading Test Vocabulary List will help you study for the English reading portion of the naturalization test. The content focuses on civics and history topics.

Writing Test

You must write one out of three sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to write in English. The Writing Test Vocabulary List will help you study for the English writing portion of the naturalization test. The content focuses on civics and history topics.
https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/study-test
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The really odd thing is that just about anywhere in the world you go most people speak english.

The number one requirement for anyone seeking citizenship should be to speak english at least at at basic level.
It is. I posted a link to the Naturalization test requirements.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
This is the most ridiculous and ignorant thread --- with the most obtuse posts -- I've read on C-D in a while. The 60 million figure quoted is people who speak a different mother tongue than English. Most of these folks are bilingual, and all their kids will be bilingual or English-dominant once they enter kindergarten.
I'm going to have to call BS on that. If that were true, jobs wouldn't require applicants to be bilingual. Everyone would be able to speak and understand English.

Furthermore, written driving tests would be in English only, instead of also printed and taken in Spanish and other languages. Road signs, detour instructions, police stops for infractions, etc., are in English, so it's colossally stupid to let non-English speakers take the exam in their foreign language and give them driver's licenses.

Fact Sheets: Languages Used for Driver's License Exams

Old 10-21-2016, 09:10 AM

1,986 posts, read 2,092,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
That doesn't follow the narrative that they want to believe. But it wouldn't surprise me if Republicans were so threatened by immigrants that they'd demand them to lose any other language they know but English. Hell, I'm surprised the Alt Righters don't take torch and pitchfork to Rosetta Stone.
Exactly. This is a reactionary group for whom even native English-speakers (like us) learning a foreign language in high school would be high treason. What do they think legal Colombian, Chinese, or Indian immigrants to the US speak when they arrive here? Their native language. Here in New York, these people all speak English, often quite well. Those under age 40 speak American English without any accent.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:11 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,259,034 times
It's a free country, you can speak whatever language you want. Choose not to speak English and you limit your job opportunities. I never understand why people get their panties in a bunch over what language someone else chooses to speak. Seems un-American to me.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:16 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,402,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I enjoyed this very much! Thanks for the video, great lyrics, and a pretty lady singing some good music!
A kiss for you BellaMia from a Southern gentleman!

Old 10-21-2016, 09:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,655,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
It's a free country, you can speak whatever language you want. Choose not to speak English and you limit your job opportunities. I never understand why people get their panties in a bunch over what language someone else chooses to speak. Seems un-American to me.
Me too. This is one of those "problems" that works itself out naturally over a period of time.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:26 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,508,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, I know. I'm the one who made that point. English speaking Americans are disqualified from many jobs if they don't also speak Spanish.

And I'm still waiting for someone to answer this question...

How are all these immigrants who supposedly don't speak English passing the Naturalization tests?

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/study-test

My apologies. I got lost with the flow of the thread.

I don't believe they are passing it, just like I don't believe stories about immigrants who came here in the 1950's and became citizens without ever learning English, unless they qualified to take it using the exceptions pointed out.

But who knows if our current administration is having people ignore the law? It's not like they've been honest about things that might put them in a bad light. And they're the ones who told ICE to lay off anyone they find here illegally, so they're the ones who have blood on their hands in cases where illegals have raped, assaulted and killed citizens.

All of this will only worsen with Clinton in the white house.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:27 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,508,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
If the presidents are so sheltered then why did the previous presidents come out with grey and sometimes even white hair? If they live in a sheltered community they wouldn't be under that much stress.
I give up. Believe what you want, but you're simply not grasping the basic concepts being put before you here.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:32 AM

1,986 posts, read 2,092,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm going to have to call BS on that. If that were true, jobs wouldn't require applicants to be bilingual. Everyone would be able to speak and understand English.

Furthermore, written driving tests would be in English only, instead of also printed and taken in Spanish and other languages. Road signs, detour instructions, police stops for infractions, etc., are in English, so it's colossally stupid to let non-English speakers take the exam in their foreign language and give them driver's licenses.

Fact Sheets: Languages Used for Driver's License Exams
Your post speaks out of total ignorance and/or lack of schooling. Those multilingual driver's licenses were created in high-immigration states like California for recent LEGAL arrivals whose oral and written English skills aren't sufficient for the sit-down driver's test or spoken commands around traffic cones. Few states allow this exemption. People have to drive in America. You need a car to get to any job.

By the way, I oppose illegal immigration and I even favor lower levels of legal immigration. I'm also a native English-speaker who speaks four languages (FOUR) and I know the US linguistic situation better than you do. I have also actually read the US Census data since 1990. Only illegal immigrants speak little or no English (though their children learn English from kindergarten.) Legal US immigrants speak English well after 5 years in the country, and their children often speak better English than their original native Spanish, Hindi, or Cantonese. Please get educated. Open a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies