Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:43 PM

406 posts, read 348,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Broadcast a video game? Who watches?
Clearly not the millions watching league or Dota or overwatch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 01:54 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The closest I come to a video game is this Forum.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:53 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
First, much of what happens on Twitch isn't actually playing. Second, there are live gaming shows that draw tens of thousands in person. Third, I don't have much time to play myself so I sometimes use Youtube (which is a bit different than live) as a way to vicariously experience something for 30 minutes for free instead of spending $60 and investing 10 or 20 hours in it. I also like this for getting a taste of an older game I've already played that I also don't have time to actually play again.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:19 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
They get paid by sponsors? Or is it a subscription?

One of my boys watches a particular youtber who plays various games. I can't tell why he likes this channel vs another, but he is a loyal subscriber. The youtuber gets over one million views on many videos, I think YouTube or google pays out quite a bit of money just from views. Something like $500 per one million views. I am going off the top of my head but it was something like that.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:30 PM

42 posts, read 22,633 times
I blame the society at large for creating this group of apathetic young males. I mean why are people honestly "surprised" by this trend??

Take away men's jobs by gutting the economy with high taxes, take away any female/mating prospects, take away any and all motivation, and replace all that with a hostile anti-male environment? I completely understand why a lot of guys are just "not trying" any more

It makes perfect sense if you think about it: with the Obama economy that we have, why slave away or put yourself into debt (college) if the "end result" is likely to be the SAME low-pay McJob that non-college degree people can get?

I say good on them, this system is corrupt anyways and there is very little upward mobility unless you got connections or nepotism on your side. Sorry to say, but a lot of people in those low-pay $9/hour Obama jobs really are suckers taking into account housing, gas, insurance, utilities, etc. Below a certain income you really are better off just mooching off the system, welfare, or relatives.

At least playing video games/streaming you're actually doing something you enjoy while not killing yourself or stressing out like you would at a crappy McJob.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
As weird as it sounds there are actually professional video game players, people paid to play games in tournaments. They're called 'eSports' and some call themselves athletes.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:59 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Most of those guys are just dreaming. You have to get tons and tons of views to actually be able to live off of it....like millions in a month, probably more.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:50 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm a pretty avid gamer (play a few hours every night when not at work or doing school work) and have no idea who the thousands are that watch all these people on Twitch. I can see if it's a brand new game or new content for an existing game people want to check out (for strategy, etc), but can't fathom watching someone else play a game I could play myself. It must be an extension of our reality TV show culture.
That's pretty much how I feel about watching sports on TV. Watching other people play video games isn't my cup of tea, but when you get right down to it, I don't think it is that much different from watching and obsessing over professional sports.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:14 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Lazy landlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
i rent a room in an overcrowded house from someone who doesn't own the house and doesn't have a job, yet lives for free on rental income, while watching tv and playing some online shoot-em-up video game with a friend.
lol.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:39 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I rent a room in an overcrowded house from someone who doesn't own the house and doesn't have a job, yet lives for free on rental income, while watching TV and playing some online shoot-em-up video game with a friend.
Maybe you should find out how he got his job and aspire to a job like that. Beats where your life is now, right? (Rolls eyes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies