Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:20 AM

89,013 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A good case is that this was the design in order to nationalize healthcare.
While I tend to agree that you're correct about that, no one has ever explained how national healthcare would be paid for in this country. Countries that DO have national healthcare tax regressively, unlike the U.S. (which taxes progressively - meaning that the tax base is way too narrow to fund the all inclusive social programs European and Scandinavian countries have).

For those interested in learning how other countries do it, read the following article. Those countries have MUCH flatter income tax rates PLUS a 20-25% national sales tax (VAT).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ont-have-a-47/

Be sure to read the tax progressivity charts. And note that the more regressive the tax system, the more progressive the social program benefits.

I'm wondering if the low- and middle-income earners in the U.S. would agree to bear the greatest tax burdens (like the same bear in Europe and Scandinavia) if it meant that they would get European-/Scandinavian-style social program benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 11:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I was sitting in my barber shop the other day when of course The election came up. A lot of Nutty Don supporters in my area. They were talking about his taxes and how they felt it was ok about him not paying a dime. The 2 older guys ( another retiree and I) started talking healthcare. So the barber and other younger men started complaining about the system.

My discussion was about the fact that my fellow retiree had VA coverage and his recently retired wife had cobra (not 65 yet).He gave me a price and I asked him how he went to look for it. He was using both incomes from himself and his wife combined to look for an individual policy. I mentioned he should only be using his wife's income as it was a policy just for her. Well the room quieted and the look of people who just accepted Nutty Don's right to pay nothing could not believe that I suggested a fellow retiree should not also have the same option.

I hope the other retiree looks into healthcare and accepts the fact his wife may be eligible for a lower premium.
So, you don't believe businesses or people should be able to deduct losses?

Let's say you bought two stocks. You made $5,000 on one and lost $5,000 on the other. You believe you should have to pay taxes for the $5,000 profit and ignore the $5,000 you lost? So, even though you realized no additional money, you should be taxed as though you did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies