Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:34 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,404 times

Advertisements

Since i'm in the Cleveland Ohio area and our local basketball team (The Cavs) just won a championship and the local baseball team (The Indians) just went to the World Series. I get a good glimpse how fanatical people can get about sports. I can understand being happy that the team won but to cry and carry on like they've contributed to a championship is silly to me. If you actually knew someone on the team then thats a different story.

It's also silly to me that they say "we" when referring to the team. In reality a team winning a title doesnt make your life any better or worse. It's entertainment not reality.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 09:37 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
Sports are bread and circuses for men.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:39 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
I've always thought so. I'm a huge motor sports fan, but never to I find myself screaming and yelling at the tv screen , or spending hours on fantasy leagues...I just find it silly. To each their own though, I guess.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I've always thought so. I'm a huge motor sports fan, but never to I find myself screaming and yelling at the tv screen , or spending hours on fantasy leagues...I just find it silly. To each their own though, I guess.
I agree, I think people forget that its entertainment.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:41 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
People who enjoy sports like cheering for their team and often become emotionally invested in them. They know it's a big deal for the individuals on the team to do well, and players view fans as an important part of sports, thus the 'we'.

It's also disappointing when your team struggles for long periods of time without being able to get to the playoffs, and ultimately the World Series. (or the SuperBowl or Stanley Cup, etc.)

I don't get Star Wars and Star Trek nerds, or people into Comic Con, but I don't question their response to whatever it is they seem to be getting excited about.

And on that note- GO CUBS!

Old 10-20-2016, 09:52 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,947 times
Sports has become the "men's language" of modern times. I know a few guys who can't carry on a regular conversation unless it centers on sports. My dad was one of those who felt the deep emotions of team allegiance to the extent that he was horribly bummed when "his team" didn't win, he spent a lot of time in a miserable state of mind. I like to watch some sports on TV just for the opportunity to see some great athletes performing, regardless of team affiliation. I won't go to the homes of those fanatics who loudly scream and cheer for "their" team, and conversely shout a ton of expletives at the coaches and players as though people on the field will be acknowledging their frustration. Championship games are seemingly bordering on pure fanaticism.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
People who enjoy sports like cheering for their team and often become emotionally invested in them. They know it's a big deal for the individuals on the team to do well, and players view fans as an important part of sports, thus the 'we'.

It's also disappointing when your team struggles for long periods of time without being able to get to the playoffs, and ultimately the World Series. (or the SuperBowl or Stanley Cup, etc.)

I don't get Star Wars and Star Trek nerds, or people into Comic Con, but I don't question their response to whatever it is they seem to be getting excited about.

And on that note- GO CUBS!
I guess I consider it silly to be so emotionally invested in something that you don't control. If a team wins or loses it doesnt affect me one bit unless I bet and won money on it LOL.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:58 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,116,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Since i'm in the Cleveland Ohio area and our local basketball team (The Cavs) just won a championship and the local baseball team (The Indians) just went to the World Series. I get a good glimpse how fanatical people can get about sports. I can understand being happy that the team won but to cry and carry on like they've contributed to a championship is silly to me. If you actually knew someone on the team then thats a different story.

It's also silly to me that they say "we" when referring to the team. In reality a team winning a title doesnt make your life any better or worse. It's entertainment not reality.

Any opinions?
Yes. We take it too seriously but for the most part it's harmless. The MOST part that is. Some people are ridiculous and should probably be removed from having any human contact.

The "we" issue is another thing. I also hate when people say "we" when talking about their favorite sports teams. The only argument I have for saying "we" is that it is easier than saying the team's name over and over so I just ignore it.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:01 AM

37,162 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Sports is the new Religion for the masses. Both are patently absurd to anyone but the True Believers.

Last edited by cuebald; 10-20-2016 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-20-2016, 10:02 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
October 26, 1985..a day that shall live in infamy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies