Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 07:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
White people have been taught throughout their whole existence that they're the center of the universe, so they think they're entitled to everything. Thus, when a minority group creates a space just for them and it doesn't include straight White men, they don't know how to handle it. They get mad and pout and cry "racism!" instead of just letting people be. They can't help themselves. Because they're so used to getting everything and being taught that the world revolves around them, when something isn't designed for them, they lose it.
Now there is some simple minded, tumblr inspired logic if ever I heard it.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:49 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
White people have been taught throughout their whole existence that they're the center of the universe, so they think they're entitled to everything.
Really? That has not happened since 1950s at the latest. As a white person whites were basically taught how wonderful everyone but us is/was and how horrible we are. I never bought any of it, because my heritage goes back forever in this country and I know the real story.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:52 PM

613 posts, read 463,413 times
If Whites didn't believe they were entitled to absolutely everything, threads like these wouldn't exist. :/

Old 10-21-2016, 07:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Freedom of association should be a right that Blacks and all other races should have!

I support all-Black fraternities, I support all-White fraternities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
If Whites didn't believe they were entitled to absolutely everything, threads like these wouldn't exist. :/
Whites were never entitled to anything. Anything we ever got we had to earn or fight for. So what makes anyone else think they should be now?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:15 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
LOL at the level of cultivated butt-hurt displayed by the OP.
Yet you cared enough to put your $0.02 in. Thanks for reading!

Old 10-21-2016, 08:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
You could replace black with white, progressives with conservatives, white privilege & white male privilege with some negative black statistic and you would be seeing the world from a young productive black male's/female's perspective. In many cases on an individual level we on the same coin but two different sides of the race issues that permeate our society.

As far as the bold: to most black people that is all that white privilege means to them and what branh0913 stated about being seen as an individual. Saying white privilege is just shorter way to say the same thing. It doesn't mean that every good thing that happens in your life is because you're white and that you had an easier life than every black person. It's just a way to say that most white people have an advantage of being apart of the dominant group in our country. In the past it was mostly racially and economically. Today is mostly economically which can be manifested in many different ways. The average white household has 13 times more wealth than the average black household. If you don't think that creates advantages then you might as well stick your head in the sand. For whatever reason it seems as if white people have locked on to this term and given if far more meaning than what it really has.

The problem now that I see from my perspective is as a society we're having issue with identifying between economical and racial issues. Many of the issues seen as racially issues are really class issues. Black people are on the bottom of the totem pole economically and with our racial history it makes the line blurry on a lot of issues.

Some black people need to stop blaming their failures on white people and systematic racism. Some white people need to stop blaming all the ills of their life on black people.

MPowering1 this is not necessarily directed all towards you. I read far more than I post and think of you as a pretty balanced poster. I see the perspective you're coming from but this perspective would have the same validity from a black person making the same statement.
Oh, I'm aware that you could replace black with white, etc., and valid complaints from all sides. But that's not what the thread is about. The OP asked a question and I gave a genuine answer about how a lot of white people feel. He, or she, apparently doesn't wish to hear it.

I didn't address branh's post about what he feels white privilege means, because different people have a different opinion about that, and I didn't want to take the thread even more off track than it had gotten But beyond that, I don't really believe there's such a thing as white privilege. I believe there's class privilege, and that's always been my stand on it as I've posted on c-d before. There are advantages wealthy black people have, that poor white people don't have.

That doesn't mean there aren't problems that black people face, but again, those problems aren't relevant to this thread, and that's what's so frustrating. I posted in response to the question posed by the OP. Posts in response to mine that went on about what black people face, were disconnected from the topic.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:24 PM

135 posts, read 93,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Whites were never entitled to anything. Anything we ever got we had to earn or fight for. So what makes anyone else think they should be now?
White people have no right to judge and complain how a black person being outrage at a country built on white supremacy that still devalue minorities.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
And this is why the medical industry should no longer be subsidized by the government. I mean you could get mad at black people. But the real issue here is government. Maybe you should work on eliminating government, and perhaps things will properly fall in line. The problem isn't black people, it's with government.
The things Jeff is talking about wasn't what I was referring to, but since he mentioned it I'll add that I'm in corporate America and for decades we were told we couldn't fire black people or anyone over a certain age. I don't hear that the way I once did, but I don't know if it's because it was a trend that went away, if it's because I'm now a senior executive, or because I over document everything and work to save employees rather than just fire them, and train my department to do the same. But for a while, that was an unwritten mandate.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside89 View Post
White people have no right to judge and complain how a black person being outrage at a country built on white supremacy that still devalue minorities.
We have the right to do whatever we want, especially to discard false racist narratives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies