Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 05:44 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times

Advertisements

I know that a particular poster always seems to mention that police should be privatized not realizing that it would be impossible for the lay citizen to afford paying for police services.

I've done contracts for private, armed security before and they make charge an arm and a leg just to stand around with guns on for events. If you add in car and fuel and investigative tasks, labs, etc. The cost would easily be what was stated earlier for a single murder case.

No one would be able to afford private policing.

For those saying that people could just get guns and police their own neighborhoods.....IMO that is the libertarian naivete showing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 08:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I know that a particular poster always seems to mention that police should be privatized not realizing that it would be impossible for the lay citizen to afford paying for police services.

I've done contracts for private, armed security before and they make charge an arm and a leg just to stand around with guns on for events. If you add in car and fuel and investigative tasks, labs, etc. The cost would easily be what was stated earlier for a single murder case.

For those saying that people could just get guns and police their own neighborhoods.....IMO that is the libertarian naivete showing there.
Private security is expensive because of government regulation (issuing of guns, bonding, insurances, etc).

Nothing in the market as of right now reflects what it would truly cost in a free market society because Uncle Sammy horns in on the proceedings armed with his gun and lawyer and enforces his will on the 2 parties negotiating.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:56 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
We disagree on all of this. I don't even know where to begin so I'll bow out.
Ok, If you wont answer any of that, how bout this:

You said earlier that the government generates lots of money by making/keeping things illegal. Is this money generated in a traditional business profit model fashion(start with a small amount, end with a big amount) or is the money that the DOJ "generates" simply printed/taxed money funneled to it by the government?

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 10-25-2016 at 08:08 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 07:59 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Private security is expensive because of government regulation (issuing of guns, bonding, insurances, etc).

Nothing in the market as of right now reflects what it would truly cost in a free market society because Uncle Sammy horns in on the proceedings armed with his gun and lawyer and enforces his will on the 2 parties negotiating.
Yea, but it does not matter because hiring multiple skilled professionals for extended periods of time that will need to use large amounts of resources will ALWAYS be expensive because there is an intrinsic value to the work of said professionals. More competition doesn't magically make that go away, it might bring the price down some but it will never be enough for the average Joe to be able to buy justice. Justice is not cost efficient.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 10-25-2016 at 08:09 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 08:03 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:

The security company we hire for our community costs a little more than the minimum wage. Unless it's to protect company employees outside of the country, it's hardly expensive.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The security company we hire for our community costs a little more than the minimum wage. Unless it's to protect company employees outside of the country, it's hardly expensive.
You have "armed" security....

A "cheap" armed security guard is usually about $25 an hour and that is REALLY cheap.

Unarmed, unprofessional security guards are the ones who sit around with uniforms on and who are paid $8-$12 an hour, not professional, armed guards.

ETA: I've also hired cheap, unarmed guards. They are crap compared to a professional, armed guard and they don't do anything except call the police. If there are no police to call, then they are just going to sit there in their uniform and hope a crime doesn't happen. LOL.

Like I said earlier, many Libertarians are very naive it seems about society. There is never any answer for real life situations except "the markets" as if there are no other factors in life except supply and demand. You have to account for the human experience and in all facets of life there will always be someone who does not respect anyone's "rights" or "principles" and who wants to get all the money for him/herself no matter what "the markets" say. There is always an outlier and it seems you all fail to realize this.

I'll also note that a cheapo security guard is about $20k a year for less than minimum wage. Not many people have $20K to pay some clown in a uniform to sit outside of their house. And like I said, you add in a car and gas mobility to your guard and the price almost doubles for security. I have done MANY security contracts for private sector and government. Both are around the same rates and especially so in regards to armed guards. FWIW the average price for armed guards are about $60 an hour and that is for a basic, off duty police officer. Once a company I worked for had to hire high level armed security for one of our apartment communities that had horrible crime and we paid over $100 an hour for armed guards. The searched vehicles entering and exiting that location and they were VERY involved in foot and vehicle patrols of the property until the criminals who were causing issues there were sent to prison. We paid over $1 million in year for security of that community which had about 400 residents.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 10-25-2016 at 08:16 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 08:06 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
You have "armed" security....

A "cheap" armed security guard is usually about $25 an hour and that is REALLY cheap.

Unarmed, unprofessional security guards are the ones who sit around with uniforms on and who are paid $8-$12 an hour, not professional, armed guards.
Market prices are hardly fixed. If there is consumer demand for cheaper services, the market will adjust to these prices. This is the way pricing actually work. Prices are not fixed and artificially set like they are in today's marketplace.

Also is there an actual need for an armed guard? you're assuming that every confrontation will lead to violence. It doesn't. This is why I don't really think our police force need guns. You should look up Dale Brown who resolves a ton of conflicts in the city of Detroit of all places almost always resulting to non-violent measures.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Market prices are hardly fixed. If there is consumer demand for cheaper services, the market will adjust to these prices. This is the way pricing actually work. Prices are not fixed and artificially set like they are in today's marketplace.
So you think a highly skilled, armed professional is going to secure your community and solve your homicide cases for $8 an hour?

LOL

Old 10-25-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
So you think a highly skilled, armed professional is going to secure your community and solve your homicide cases for $8 an hour?

LOL
$8 an hour is relative. In today's market of substantial inflation, they wouldn't. But if thing were less regulated and privatized, there would be price deflation and a lower cost of living in general.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:14 AM

Anyway you're confused, so let me break this down further.

you assume, like you always do that private companies will mirror public services. When you say police you're assuming one single organization is a swat team, an investigative force, patrol, and armed forces. While these are all factors of security, no 1 company is going to take on all of these. Some companies will specialize in neighborhood patrol. One company can be simply for investigation. One company could be armed guards.

Clearly not everyone needs patrol, and not everyone needs a personal armed guard. Everyone has different security needs. So people would buy what security the feel is appropiate for their individual needs. And some people may decide they don't need security at all. It's all about consumer choice at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies