Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:28 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
What they are doing should be called something else IMO. It belittles the sacrifice of people like like Rosa Parks, or people who got water hoses ,dogs, and billy clubs turned of them for someone to get a little dirt on their knee and feel like they are making the same contribution to bringing attention to the civil rights problem in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 08:31 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
in the black, but not fine. Double digit drop in audience overall. Much smaller tv deal next time.

They must turn the drop in audience around.
They just need to move out of the 1960s to consider the true numbers. There isn't one television show out there that hasn't seen its numbers go down. That's because people don't watch television the same way anymore.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
They just need to move out of the 1960s to consider the true numbers. There isn't one television show out there that hasn't seen its numbers go down. That's because people don't watch television the same way anymore.

Advertisers only pay for verifiable ratings. Newspapers are paid based on subscription circulation, for instance, not newsstand purchases.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
What they are doing should be called something else IMO. It belittles the sacrifice of people like like Rosa Parks, or people who got water hoses ,dogs, and billy clubs turned of them for someone to get a little dirt on their knee and feel like they are making the same contribution to bringing attention to the civil rights problem in America.
Luckily, you do not speak for them.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:54 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Because the majority seem to be helpless, entitled babies that were helicoptered by their parents. Our reputation in the workplace is atrocious.
The more helpless eintitled babies out there, the more opportunities for those few who are actually bright, independent and capable like yourself.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:36 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Smiling hurts my face. But thanks for the kind words.

Aww

I'll smile for ya then.

And you're welcome!

Old 10-24-2016, 06:25 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Luckily, you do not speak for them.
If I spoke for the population of Ferguson Mo. I would organize shopping excursions outside the city limits for African Americans who thought city employees where being unfair to them. If there were special interest money involved I would use it to charter buses for that purpose instead using it fund trips to show up at Trump or Clinton campaigns events to gain national attention. I would urge black people not to spend a red cent in that town. Then I would let the local merchants fight my battle with the city about its employees. ....If I spoke for them ,just say'n

Old 10-24-2016, 07:01 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Congratulate her.

For her first AND LAST major sports Anthem. yes I know she will get some interest group gigs.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
If I spoke for the population of Ferguson Mo. I would organize shopping excursions outside the city limits for African Americans who thought city employees where being unfair to them.
Many if not most of these people can not afford shopping excursions. This simply points out how out of touch you are with the daily lives of many others.

Quote:
If there were special interest money involved I would use it to charter buses for that purpose instead using it fund trips to show up at Trump or Clinton campaigns events to gain national attention. I would urge black people not to spend a red cent in that town. Then I would let the local merchants fight my battle with the city about its employees. ....If I spoke for them ,just say'n
So you are saying people shouldn't protest at political rallies? I think this is saying a lot. (to be fair, it's not super clear what you said)

Old 10-24-2016, 08:37 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Many if not most of these people can not afford shopping excursions. This simply points out how out of touch you are with the daily lives of many others.

So you are saying people shouldn't protest at political rallies? I think this is saying a lot. (to be fair, it's not super clear what you said)
It shows you are too young and too far removed from the pain and sacrifice people went through during the bus boycott. If you don't hit them in the pocket they won't listen to a thing you have to say.
Every community is different. Trying to use a national remedy is like prescribing the same treatment for ten people with chronic cough. Police brutality is a manifestation of more than one social problem. Its no coincidence that many people who were instrumental in the civil rights struggle of the 60's were; sociologist, psychologist, economist, lawyers and politicians.
Today's young protesters get high marks for just being articulate. Ferguson was ripe for an economic boycott because the brutality was in response to a city that was generating revenues from its brutality.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 10-24-2016 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies