Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 04:32 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I agree. All citizens should be able to get their message out. NOT just the MSM, who previously have been the only group that could campaign and promote their candidates and positions without limits. My only issue is that no one has to publish who is paying for the ads.
That is a good point.

Liberals dominate the MSM, so they want to silence talk radio with regulation, silence others from spending their money to campaign, etc...

There is no room for the 1st Amendment anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 04:41 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Which they will.
Probably so and you liberals can celebrate the deaths of the 1st and 2nd Amendment. Congrats!

Who needs a Bill of Rights? It just interferes with government tyranny.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
LOL, conservatives are dangerously wrong about Citizens United. It's BECAUSE of Citizens United that we see corporate money being used for "political speech" than ever before. You think Monsanto has YOUR best interests in mind? Get out of here

The worst thing the US has ever done, and is the root of all corruption in this country, is creating the concept of corporate personhood. The people behind the corporate name largely escape responsibility for their wrongdoing
Exactly. I almost spit out my coffee when I read this thread title. Citizens United is dangerous for everyone, of every political stripe, in this country. We should ALL demand its repeal.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
We're supposed to have freedom of speech ("I think that I read that somewhere") but it seems that freedom of speaking in favor of Trump or against Hillary seems off limits.
No its not. But when you say something other people have the same exact right as you do to speak. We have the right to ask you a question about your support or support what you've written with fact.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Your 1 vote trumps their 0 votes.
Bull****.

My 1 vote does not trump the amount of money and power funneled into these campaigns. Not one bit.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Of course liberals end goal is to have elections publicly funded.

Government deciding on how elections of our government officials are funded. What could possibly go wrong with that?
I think elections should have spending caps. I think candidates should be given equal time and space on television and in the papers. I don't believe in campaign smear ads - they are a waste of money and almost always one sided and twisted.

There is a lot we can do to clean up the cess pool that has become of American politics.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Exactly. I almost spit out my coffee when I read this thread title. Citizens United is dangerous for everyone, of every political stripe, in this country. We should ALL demand its repeal.
How do you repeal a court ruling?

Old 10-24-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Bull****.

My 1 vote does not trump the amount of money and power funneled into these campaigns. Not one bit.
It most certainly does. I asked this earlier and I've asked it many times without an answer.

When was the last time an ad changed your vote? The problem is not money, the problem is people. People are so ingrained in their politics that they will vote against their best interest to see their party win. But sadly a win isn't always a win.

Did Obama get us out of the wars? Did he get rid of lobbying? Did he prosecute the bankers? Did he do even one thing he promised? You would vote for him again if you could?

How does money force people to continue to vote for people who outright lie to them?

Old 10-24-2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:
I think elections should have spending caps.
The politicians could have done that. They did not. They are not advocating it. It's not on the table. But curtailing what others can do is. Do you really see no problem with this?

"We will spend whatever we want, but others should not be allowed to".

Quote:
I think candidates should be given equal time and space on television and in the papers. I don't believe in campaign smear ads - they are a waste of money and almost always one sided and twisted.

There is a lot we can do to clean up the cess pool that has become of American politics.
When do you suppose the politicians will promote the idea of cleaning themselves up? The law in question here did none of these things.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How do you repeal a court ruling?
Constitutional amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies