Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 02:13 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times

Advertisements

Just to be clear, education has always been my families "family business" My grandfather, half his kids, and more than half his grandkids are in the ''family business" there are more degrees than members of the family. including PhDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 02:17 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
My parents are from Europe. In Europe attaining a university position is considered something to be highly respected. I don't understand this disdain for the educated that republican ad makers point out as if it is something to be suspicious of in the north country.
In the US, getting a college degree is as easy as showing up to class and paying tuition. A degree from a good school is a little more complicated, but not much. In Europe, being a college grad from a good school is much, much different.

No one I know has a "disdain for education", but a college degree is not what it used to be. Obtaining a college degree wouldn't be prevalent if it wasn't easy.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:56 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Conservatives shouldn't even be in liberal arts classes anyway. They tend to be feel more comfortable taking safe majors like Human Resources.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:03 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Its not being educated that is the issue. it is what is happening in American Universities that is.

It has nothing to do with being intellectual. It has everything to do with using education to debase society.

Progressives have hijacked higher education and turned it into intellectual mush.

How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus - The Atlantic

if you tell me you are a college professor and a modern PROG, then that means you are actively working to destroy the American higher education system and you are seeking to dismantle the American culture/society.

That isn't anti-intellectual. that's a good understanding of what is going on, on American campuses.
Don't like a professors lecture or another students Trump button? Try to get them in trouble not by disagreeing with their words but instead by saying they made you feel *threatened* or *unsafe*.

That's the big push on free-speech anymore. Just claim the other person makes you feel threatened and of course that means they are wrong. SJW trick #105.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:12 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
My problem with education is that people with Sociology, Philosophy and Gender or African American Studies degrees are considered educated.
I never finished college. The way life turned out for me I wouldn't have been better off with the degree. There is more than one way to be successful.

I was thinking about what you are talking about here while reading through this thread. People have talked in other threads about how somewhere along the line college changed. Some of the degrees are useless. Others while not completely useless are far too expensive to pay off the student loans you need to take out in order to get the degree. Its different now in that you shouldn't just go to college. You have to carefully do it right or it can be a waste of time and money. If you get an expensive degree in liberal arts and crafts, what are you going to do with it?

Old 10-25-2016, 05:15 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
If you get an expensive degree in liberal arts and crafts, what are you going to do with it?
That's funny you say that. I have three friends who majored in Business and can't find a job. Scratch that, one of them is actually working at a call center. I don't care what your degree is in -- make connections and find some type of internship during college.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:50 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes they are. They are the same people that can't understand that the vast majority of corporate taxes are passed on to the end consumers. Calling for more taxes is calling for more expensive goods we buy.

Although this is a terribly oversimplified and totally incorrect statement I think it warrants addressing just because it is so obviously aimed at the lowest level of economic understanding. Mitt and company were trying to sell this horse feces awhile back and it didn't sell well then, and any amount of reading now can easily dispel the notion of this idea having any merit.

People who do understand the way in which corporate taxation is absorbed into the entirety of business tax structures call these absurd statements nothing more than a feeble attempt to sway the tax burden away from those (corporations) who should be paying more and on to the backs of those least able to pay.

Of course Pedro's short contribution is much easier to read through, I'm sure most will find this article a must when looking at the tax question with regard to who should pay---and why..

Foundations of Economics: Businesses Cannot Simply Pass on Taxes to Consumers

Old 10-25-2016, 06:04 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
That's funny you say that. I have three friends who majored in Business and can't find a job. Scratch that, one of them is actually working at a call center. I don't care what your degree is in -- make connections and find some type of internship during college.
Anecdotally, I know someone who majored in history from a middling college and is the CEO of a major banking conglomerate and have a friend who graduated from a very prestigious school, very smart, well connected, and majored in banking who runs a Kinko store.

Connections weren't or aren't as important as some think, even 30 years ago.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:09 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Although this is a terribly oversimplified and totally incorrect statement I think it warrants addressing just because it is so obviously aimed at the lowest level of economic understanding. Mitt and company were trying to sell this horse feces awhile back and it didn't sell well then, and any amount of reading now can easily dispel the notion of this idea having any merit.

People who do understand the way in which corporate taxation is absorbed into the entirety of business tax structures call these absurd statements nothing more than a feeble attempt to sway the tax burden away from those (corporations) who should be paying more and on to the backs of those least able to pay.

Of course Pedro's short contribution is much easier to read through, I'm sure most will find this article a must when looking at the tax question with regard to who should pay---and why..

Foundations of Economics: Businesses Cannot Simply Pass on Taxes to Consumers
Yes, it impacts consumers and middle class Americans with 401Ks.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:23 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you cant be serious can you? children to day are generally NOT taught critical thinking skills, they are indoctrinated. i know this because my niece was recently in college, and one of her biggest complaints was the for the most part her professors told the students what to think. they didnt teach critical thinking skills.
My father graduated from one of the best Jesuit college preps in the country, and from a Jesuit university. He used to say "The Jesuits teach you how to think". I wonder if he would feel that way re the current environment if he had to sit in the same classrooms today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies