Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 02:07 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times

Advertisements

Yes, I understand some of these things could have been addressed a long time ago, but that's life, and perhaps feel a bit sorry for people like these.

For some low-income workers, retirement is only a dream - Sun Sentinel

Quote:
It was a striking image. A photo of an 89-year-old man hunched over, struggling to push his cart with frozen treats. Fidencio Sanchez works long hours every day selling the treats because he couldn't afford to retire. The photo and his story went viral and thousands of people donated more than $384,000 for his retirement.

His story is a window into a dark reality: Many low-wage workers say they can't afford to retire.

With no money saved for retirement, home care worker Gwen Strowbridge, 71, of Deerfield, Florida, plans to stay on the job until she can't physically work anymore.

"I can't see it in the future. I'll stop working if my health won't allow me to keep working," said Strowbridge. Now 71, she works six days per week caring for a 100-year-old woman in Florida.

Studies have found that about one-third of low wage workers like Strawbridge say they'll never be able to afford retirement. The problem is particularly acute among minority women.

A 2016 study by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research found that one-quarter of workers 50 and older say they won't retire. Among low wage workers, earning less than $50,000 a year, it was 33 percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 05:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
No, it's not life. It's the result of decades - centuries, perhaps - of benign neglect by government.

For years I have been saying that being able to own a tiny home is, for many low earners, an unbeatable hedge against rent inflation and thus a crucial component in being able to enjoy a modest retirement lifestyle, as opposed to never being able to retire at all.

It is by design that there are few if any opportunities for bottom-wage workers to get off the rent treadmill and to start building wealth for themselves.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:52 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
No, it's not life. It's the result of decades - centuries, perhaps - of benign neglect by government.

For years I have been saying that being able to own a tiny home is, for many low earners, an unbeatable hedge against rent inflation and thus a crucial component in being able to enjoy a modest retirement lifestyle, as opposed to never being able to retire at all.

It is by design that there are few if any opportunities for bottom-wage workers to get off the rent treadmill and to start building wealth for themselves.
freemkt, our politicians think the American people are piggy banks and they constantly raise taxes. Who do you think pays those taxes. It comes either directly from the people or rental real estate owners and business owners who are free tax collectors.

Politicians are on a never ending mission to get more money from the people. Back in 2012 Obama acted as if he raised taxes problems would be solved.. and here we are again Hillary demanding higher taxes.

Just because you aren't taxed directly don't think you aren't being taxed indirectly.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:16 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,644,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Back in 2012 Obama acted as if he raised taxes problems would be solved.. and here we are again Hillary demanding higher taxes.
Higher taxes on the very wealthy. I doubt that will affect anyone who posts on C-D.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes, I understand some of these things could have been addressed a long time ago, but that's life, and perhaps feel a bit sorry for people like these.

Quote:
It was a striking image. A photo of an 89-year-old man hunched over, struggling to push his cart with frozen treats. Fidencio Sanchez works long hours every day selling the treats because he couldn't afford to retire.
I call BS. This is just another sob disinformation story. He gets free food, what more does he need?

Old 10-24-2016, 07:06 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,385,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

For some low-income workers, retirement is only a dream - Sun Sentinel
How much of your personal income do you donate regularly to improve lives and help low income workers retire, Suburban Guy?

Old 10-24-2016, 07:37 PM

34,019 posts, read 17,050,952 times
I intend to work as long as possible, as I enjoy being productive. IMO retirement is often a terrible thing. People should stay productive.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Higher taxes on the very wealthy. I doubt that will affect anyone who posts on C-D.

"Under my plan...of cap and trade...electricity prices will necessarily skyrocket."

Under Obamacare, health insurance premiums will rise an average of 25 percent in 2017.

Rents are soaring, and a record 11 million Americans now spent at least half their income on housing.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I intend to work as long as possible, as I enjoy being productive. IMO retirement is often a terrible thing. People should stay productive.

You're not a low-income worker, and your work is qualitatively much better than is their work. You have a rewarding career, low-income workers have menial jobs. Huge difference.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:32 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,440,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not necessarily, I retired at 55 and love EVERY minute I no longer am doing anyone's bidding but my own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies