Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 11:46 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Right now for example -- there are those out East who are complaining about lack of power. Some want to have underground powerlines now but digging trenches would be too costly -- but so is trying to restore power with the downed lines.

Why not put all the welfare recipients, food stampers, and unemployed to work digging trenches to modernize the system? All that man and woman power just going to waste. The government just isn't efficient because it pays so many people not to work who could actually be doing something productive with their time.
malamute, I love this idea. If you collect welfare and have two arms, legs and hands then pay back the people who pay for your living. Some can stay at home and set up a day care, others go out in the field, others on the cafeteria line to feed these people.

There is plenty of things that need done in this country. Like Obama said, infrastructure, hire the welfare recipiants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:48 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Adopt the Fair Tax where everyone pay 23% sales tax and the rich will find it harder to evade taxes.
The perfect way to evade taxes -> go on welfare.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:56 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Bet you don't feel that way when you look in the mirror in the morning,,,,,,,,,,,
The real problem is with how our government looks at him. It looks at him as the person responsible for taking care of his lazy friend.

Now, we see that looking in the mirror for self-satisfaction is pointless, if you look out the window and see collection agents, IRS agents, and secret-service agents coming after you for rebelling against this system.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:58 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
Always?

Quelque fois c'est Louis Vuitton, mais non?

Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
-At 60, he is claiming there is no other comparable job, or talent, that he could utilize in the market to make money? Nothing? Thats it? Im not buying it.

If given the opportunity to bet on it, I'd bet that his employment career is over. The real question he faces now is Who is going to hire a 60 year old when there are a ton of more-qualified 30 year olds competing for the same job?

I'm betting that when my current job goes away, my employment career will also be over.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I dont want welfare but I do check my mailbox every day for my Obamacheck.

Good luck with that.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:49 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
My friends townhouse was just built a few years ago and is WAY nicer than mine.

I know that not all people living on walfare are living the high life. But my friend is living a higher life than I am.
I think I can offer some good perspective on this issue. I was on unemployment for 99 weeks. Yeah, I am embarrassed to say that. I now have a job where I work between 50-65 hours a week. If I had to choose the job or the two years of unemployment, I would definitely choose the job even though it is not my dream job and not at the pay level I would like to be making.

Why? One may ask. While I was on unemployment, I was being paid to have a personal "pity party." I sat around and felt sorry for myself because I couldn't find the job I wanted. I became severely depressed because life lost its meaning. I now at least have a reason to get up in the morning. Not to mention when you get a handout, the government pretty much owns you. You are told how much to make, you have to file a claim every week with a certain number of contacts, then if you make a certain amount of money, you could lose benefits. Many people living off handouts who do work can't advance out of fear of losing their bennies. Thus, they stay in poverty.

I can honestly say that after about six months or so of unemployment that I lost the ability to look for aggressively for work. I became complacent or something. I actually had to get counseling at a local church before I could find a job.

There is a since of pride that comes from hard work. When I go to the grocery store and can buy shrimp or other tasty foods, it is because I worked hard to accomplish something this week. I am not living off someone else's dime and that feels really good. I am even working on refining my career goals and getting back on that road to success.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
The take home pay is pitiful after the government takes the taxes out. Yet not one of you would read through the lines or understand that if the OP was you you would not be too happy about it. Instead, you complain how welfare is not so easy. If you are able bodied, I have absolutely no pitty for you. What did you do to earn it? How much is enough? Should working people buy you mansions? No matter what you get it will never be enough and you will vote for any administration that promises more handouts.

If you want a better life then get off your butts and do something.

You have no shame. And here it comes, tell me why you deserve more.
Yeah, I know women on welfare who live with boyfriends they will never marry. The boyfriends give them $$$ and sex and the woman collects handouts because they boyfriend's income doesn't count because she is single. One woman I know actually drives a nice car and owns a Tomtom GPS system for her car.

Another is 32, has five children and lives in a huge house subsidized with my overtime. Yep, she has five kids with three different daddies.

If you are woman, make your boyfriend use a condom. Every drug store sells them these days. Tell me why I need to support your procreation. Or even better, stop having sex with just anyone. Sex used to be special and reserved for something you do with a spouse, but it is no longer that way. Use some self control for crying out loud.

I think we need kind of a workfare system in this country where welfare recipients and the unemployed are required to hold down some sort of a job to continue receiving their bennies. I say hire them to build roads, repair parks, clean up graffiti, or pick up trash along side of the roads for a few hours each day. Having an unproductive class isn't good for this country.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You forgot the cellphone. You can also get a cellphone for free.

It's called the "entitled underclass" and I want to join them too !
When Cap&Trade passes they will also get upgraded to energy efficient "stuff" in their home as well as their home.

That will never happen because government gives energy efficient goodies to homeowners only, and would never shell out for leasehold improvements that accrue to the landlord.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:14 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Suzy should go on welfare because she'd quickly learn that reality is nothing like her propaganda. It would be a valuable learning experience for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies