Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,766 times

Advertisements

Bottom line is, don't tax everyone more to make it easier for the able bodied welfare lazy. Make it harder to stay on welfare, give less, encourage people to support themselves.

Welfare recipients are demoralized because they want more for nothing in exchange.

Working poor are demoralized because they are working but can't make ends meet and are expected to give more.

Middle class is demoralized for the same reason.

Business owners are demoralized because they tried for the American dream and are taxed for being more successful.

ALL IN THE NAME OF GIVING TO THE ABLE BODIED POOR.

Congratulations, you successfully brought everyone else down and managed to blame it on everyone else.

Last edited by eRayP; 07-05-2012 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 04:39 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
If I were on welfare I could get a medical card, WIC, food stamps, a rent free apartment, paid utilites, clothing vouchers, and a cash check each month.

Instead I am married to a man who is college educated and has a good job. So we have to pay an insurance deductable of $750.00 each Jan then out ins coverage is 80/20. And don't forget the hundreds of dollars that comes out of his check each month for the ins. I am about to have a baby via c-section. We just paid out $750.00 dectuable and now it is time to pay the $750.00 again for this year. Our 20% of the hospital stay/c-section will be thousands more.

If we had a medical card......all FREE.

I also had bre$st surgery a few years ago and will have to use formula the whole time. Have you seen the price of that stuff??? Of course if I were on welfare ... I could get WIC....all FREE.

Buy the time we pay all of our medical bills and for the formula the people on walfare will be living better than me. I will have to struggle to pay my rent, utilites, and food. If I were on welfare it would all be FREE.

My best friend just had a baby and said on the birth cert. father unknown. She gets all of this stuff for free. Plus she babysits a couple of kids and gets close to $1,000 a month "under the table money." She drives a better car, lives in a nicer townhouse, has nicer things, and can afford to go out alot more that we can.

It just doesn't make sence to me.
And in the end you both wind up dead and none of this matters. Rather than envy just enjoy what you have and make the best of each day you have. Live, Love, and Laugh ! Or as a singer once put it "don't worry, be happy".

Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
And in the end you both wind up dead and none of this matters. Rather than envy just enjoy what you have and make the best of each day you have. Live, Love, and Laugh ! Or as a singer once put it "don't worry, be happy".
But the here and now matters to people Omarvin0. IS it fair that the OPs neighbor lives better than she does when the neighbor girl doesn't do a thing to earn it and lives off everyone else. These people are the types voting Obama knowing that Obama.

You don't think that is frustrating and demoralizing to have money you earned taken off of you to pay for people like this. Many Americans feel this way. So she posted her sarcastic complaint and people actually had the nerve to say "do you think its easy living on welfare". Thats nerve and that is greed! Welfare is NOT supposed to be easy.

Don't worry, be happy? How can she not worry? She worries all the time about paying her bills like many other hard working Americans and then she has to also help support some stranger who always has their hands in other peoples pocket, who steals legally and won't do a think to help themselves.

She sounds demoralized to me. So congratulations, able bodied welfare recipients should feel proud. Obama believes in giving more to these people and it part of the reason this great country is coming down.

Last edited by eRayP; 07-05-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Although Obama said the middle class will not pay one dime more in taxes, you will pay more money. The Bush tax breaks (so called tax breaks for the rich only) are also tax breaks for the middle class and the middle class tax breaks are also going to expire. So when you vote for Obama, he pays you back by raising your taxes. See below and Enjoy!

1. Americans will see the tax on their first $8,700 of income jump from a 10% rate to 15% rate.

2. Do both mom and dad have to work to make ends. Bad news, the marriage penalty will be back into effect - Higher taxes for double income families.

3. Child credit will expire from reducing your deduction from $1000.00 per child to only $500.00 per child.

Roll those changes up and a family filing as married with two children making $50,000, will see their taxes increase by basically $2,700

That is an extra $112.50 per paycheck or $225.00 MORE per month of your income that goes to taxes.

Last edited by eRayP; 07-05-2012 at 09:55 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
My best friend just had a baby and said on the birth cert. father unknown. She gets all of this stuff for free. Plus she babysits a couple of kids and gets close to $1,000 a month "under the table money." She drives a better car, lives in a nicer townhouse, has nicer things, and can afford to go out alot more that we can.
It just amazes me the number of hard working welfare hating conservatives all have friends and relatives who are scamming the welfare system. What are the probabilities of that?

As an African American liberal Democrat who makes a moderate amount of money, lives in a economically and ethnically diverse community, I feel some how still feel culturally deprived because I don't know one person, much less have a friend, and even more to the point a best friend who is on welfare.

How do conservatives get to know so many welfare recipients or have them as best friends or family members?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It just amazes me the number of hard working welfare hating conservatives all have friends and relatives who are scamming the welfare system. What are the probabilities of that?

As an African American liberal Democrat who makes a moderate amount of money, lives in a economically and ethnically diverse community, I feel some how still feel culturally deprived because I don't know one person, much less have a friend, and even more to the point a best friend who is on welfare.

How do conservatives get to know so many welfare recipients or have them as best friends or family members?
They are not all drug induced people living in the slums. The lady I know, in addition to collecting welfare also lives with her elderly mom...right smack in the middle of a middle class neighborhood. So of course I have met the daughter with child who is on welfare. I have never met the welfare daddy / boyfriend, not friends either, but I know them and they are doing just fine living off other peoples work.

And ps, about the hate part. No I don't hate anyone. I just don't respect them.

I also know another girl who collected welfare. You would never know to look at her since she always had manicures, pedicures, hair dyed, looking for her man in shining armor. She was a family member of a friend of mine. I do have to say, she did go to school compliments of the government but is now off welfare and is a registered nurse. Now that many people can respect.

Last edited by eRayP; 07-05-2012 at 10:00 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
If it isn't can you at least get a job and make it better? Or do you think that you are "entitled" to more free money and support?
Why are you asking me? I have a job. Ask the someone who is unemployed or ask someone who has a job and still needs assistance. My household income is six figures, but I still understand that living on welfare is not a utopia.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
You get to keep your pride.

Being on the dole isn't something that is ideal.

It has a purpose.

It has it's place.

It is not what we strive for....

We strive for betterment.... not mediocrity.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
They are not all drug induced people living in the slums.
Well as I live and breath, whoda thunk....

Quote:
she did go to school compliments of the government but is now off welfare and is a registered nurse. Now that many people can respect.
But is now off welfare, and is a registered nurse.

Now I am confused. Welfare recipient earns a nursing degree while on welfare? Where are those threads?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Most people on welfare get less than $600 a month to live on. Foodstamps don't provide a whole month's worth of food for most families. Housing assistance does not mean that someone lives "for free." I work in public housing, they are required to pay 30% of their take home income toward rent. If they are getting $500 a month then their rent will be $150, not much but not free. Don't know of any clothing allowances, if that is true, must be a new thing. People who make upwards of 40K per year in some areas can get WIC, not just people on welfare. Most military families receive WIC as well and I wonder if the OP, if she is still around is jealous of military families as well and if so she should join the military, she will get free housing if she stays in long enough and free healthcare too.

I make a decent income and am married and even though I have to pay about $5000 in premiums per year for healthcare and had to pay a whopping $20 for my c-section for my youngest child's birth (we have good insurance without deductibles). What kind of "stuff" did a lady get for free just for having a baby. This reminds me of the ellusive "stuff" that black people supposedly get for being black that is mentioned here on CD sometimes (I'm still waiting on my black stuff too BTW).

Even though I pay for my mortgage and I bought my cars outright and I pay for health insurance (yet I breast fed so didn't have to pay for formula and I wonder what sort of "breast surgery" that the OP had, probably a reduction or enlargement, both of which can make a woman unable to breast feed and both of which are not necessary. I could use a reduction but decided I wouldn't do it until I am past child bearing age as I don't want to buy formula in case I end up pregnant again). I have much more disposable income than someone on welfare. Even when I didn't make much money, I had more disposable income than someone on welfare. I'm not jealous of poor people. Instead, I'm glad that I'm not poor and have the money to take care of my food, medical expenses, and very low mortgage.

FWIW, many people who are jealous of poor people usually are living above their means. You shouldn't have a car payment for one, buy a car outright. I never pay car payments. Live somewhere that you wil not have to pay more than 25% of your income in rent/mortgage, if you pay more than that, you render yourself "house poor" and it can cause you a lot of financial strain. If your job offers an HMO, take the HMO and not the PPO since HMOs don't usually have deductibles. Also, if you want to get healthcare from the government for your kids, you can apply for your state's sCHIP plan. I know many people, both liberals and conservatives who use CHIPs for their kids insurance. Where I live you can make over 60K per year and still use this program. There are lots of things you can do to have more disposable income and being jealous of people on welfare isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies