Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:14 AM

7,512 posts, read 11,314,764 times

Advertisements

With Obamacare having issues the talk of a public option is coming back up. Now as I understand it a public option would be a gov't run insurance system that would allow people to choose from it or private health insurance. This is supposed to bring more competition to health insurance. But my question is who is paying for this public option? Since it will be public the money for funding is coming from tax payers right? But if a tax payer has a private plan then aren't they going to be paying twice for healthcare? One payment for their private plan and another payment to fund the public option through their taxes. Should people be paying twice for healthcare like that? Also wouldn't the tax payers with the private plans be funding their private plan's competition(the government's public option)?

Or will things be different from how I'm describing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 01:30 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,510,223 times
The middle class.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:50 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,691,502 times
a public option would be funded in part by the people that sign up for it, and then also by everyone else that pays taxes.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:50 AM

3,533 posts, read 2,831,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
With Obamacare having issues the talk of a public option is coming back up. Now as I understand it a public option would be a gov't run insurance system that would allow people to choose from it or private health insurance. This is supposed to bring more competition to health insurance. But my question is who is paying for this public option? Since it will be public the money for funding is coming from tax payers right? But if a tax payer has a private plan then aren't they going to be paying twice for healthcare? One payment for their private plan and another payment to fund the public option through their taxes. Should people be paying twice for healthcare like that? Also wouldn't the tax payers with the private plans be funding their private plan's competition(the government's public option)?

Or will things be different from how I'm describing it?
Got a mirror?

bill

Old 10-25-2016, 03:50 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,903,905 times
How about this. Stop giving our money away to foreigners and foreign countries. Stop importing criminals and refugees. Bring most of our troops home and close most overseas bases. Do we really NEED 19 aircraft carriers when Russia and China each have ONE? How about we stick about 5 into mothballs and stop building new ones for awhile. Do we really NEED troops in virtually every country in the world? Other than embassy security.

So we really need like 26 federal alphabet agencies with SWAT teams. I mean really and Dept of Agriculture swat team? Close most of the agencies. All we need is the FBI and Federal Marshalls and a small force of Secret Service to protect the president. (Unless the president is anti gun, then why should she get armed protection when they rest of us can't?)

My guess is that will more than cover the cost and probably give us all money back!

Old 10-25-2016, 05:19 AM

7,795 posts, read 6,354,764 times
It will also be run by the totally competent people who run the local DMV.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:05 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,839,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
It will also be run by the totally competent people who run the local DMV.
And yet all the Republicans on Medicare don't seem to complain so much. In fact, isn't it true that the vast vast majority would never give it up? I seem to remember those old guys at tea party rallies holding up signs saying get your hands off my Medicare

Old 10-25-2016, 06:12 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,488,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And yet all the Republicans on Medicare don't seem to complain so much. In fact, isn't it true that the vast vast majority would never give it up? I seem to remember those old guys at tea party rallies holding up signs saying get your hands off my Medicare
You mean the people who paid into that system (insurance) don't want to lose it now that they are receiving the benefit they PAID FOR?

Medicare is insurance and not a healthcare system like the VA.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:13 AM

45,069 posts, read 26,223,210 times
Our wise and benevolent govt will fund it with it's own money

Old 10-25-2016, 06:18 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,839,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You mean the people who paid into that system (insurance) don't want to lose it now that they are receiving the benefit they PAID FOR?

Medicare is insurance and not a healthcare system like the VA.
I'm gonna be paying for the public option, too. What's the difference? Nothing at all. I'm paying for Medicare that I'm not getting right now.

Public option is gonna be insurance too and not a healthcare system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies