Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:10 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I understand what you're saying, and I agree that a "benevolent openness to multiculturalism" is more what I am looking at.

I also understand that there are some people who do still practice their "culture" here and with standards that are not acceptable here. I guess that will be the big challenge. Learning how to pick and choose which parts of various cultures can co-exist together -- I know it's difficult.

Actually, I do work in law enforcement, and I am well aware that there are people out there who break the law -- frequently. Some cultural mores are covered under our laws and if practiced, the individual is reprimanded in some form. That is where the "shared core values" come into play.... You're right -- core values are very important!

I think that the U.S. has at least managed -- not totally successfully, of course -- to integrate various backgrounds together -- not easy to do -- but there is a unified cause: to survive together or die together.

Personally, I'm not looking at expanding this topic to the various cultural habits that can wreak havoc on others. I'm simply looking at the variety of ways that other cultures have enhanced our lives. I'm not naive enough to think that we're all going to live in happy LaLa Land together without problems. Do I like the fact that in certain parts of a city I can't wear red or blue?? No. Does it stem from a cultural criminal element? Yes. So, I'm aware of some of those problems, and I don't like them anymore than the next person who is law-abiding and wants to have a "normal" life.

Do I know that certain cultural practices still exist here? Yes. I know of several people who have had arranged marriages...they still exist. I know of other things that are cultural in nature that a majority of typical Americans would not like.

I merely posed a question if people enjoyed many of the cultural differences that they get exposed to, or have experienced from their travels, or would they rather just do without.

What you're suggesting is something beyond the scope of this simple thread. And I realize that what you are talking about is a serious topic, and I think it could serve to be discussed more. Perhaps someone will want to start a thread on more specific cultural activities/practices that might be curtailed or tolerated differently here in the U.S.?? It would be interesting to see what people say in terms of what they have witnessed or know about. (I don't want to start that particular thread, though.)

On a lighter note, I think that the U.S. is at least a sample of what is possible in a more ideal multi-cultural environment. There are many bugs to shake out, and that will take time, problems, some tragedy, and others' involvement to get it done. I think it's possible. Maybe not in my lifetime, but I do hope that in the next 100 years that we can achieve a tolerant, accepting, "benevolent" multi-cultural society. That would be a great legacy for my grandchildren.

These are great replies, well-thought out, and much appreciated. Thanks!
VERY nice thoughts, well-put and coherent (and not altogether in keeping with the stereotypical 'law enforcement' view...I learned something !).

What you say is true, variety IS the spice of life, and its absence would be a dull blandness. It's just my nature to often take the "counter" side in many arguments (on my rare visits to the Craps Table, I'm a frequent "Don't Pass" bettor)...and I get a little concerned at some of the blanket "ANY change is a GOOD CHANGE" thinking...like a 12-year old's idea of the adult world, this is just not a practical way to think. But many people WAY beyond the age of 12 seem to think this way, without considering what they're saying.

You pointed out that the US has made great efforts to include diverse cultures, Not only do I AGREE with that, but to a very large degree, the US in many ways "Wrote the BOOK" on it. We were FOUNDED with the idea in mind of being 'inclusive', while many nations, to this DAY, want little to do with it. That's my whole 'gripe'...let's not be TOO hard on our honest efforts to include EVERYONE, even those who may not 'like us'...when MANY countries don't even TRY to do what we're doing.

We're doing our best, slowly but surely. Can a nation of 300+ Million people hold together at ALL, without SOME sort of cultural "requirements" for all citizens? I don't see how. What requirements SHOULD we have, and how FEW can we 'get away with'? No one knows at this point, because no one has ever DONE THIS before.....We'll have to cautiously set out to see what works.

Thanks for the great thread..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein
Quote:
Xenophobia is perfectly healthy - why is patriotism and love for your kinsmen a bad thing?
Because all Nazis find themselves patriotic?
In other words: there is no significant difference between patriotism and fascism, because they are both blinded by their 'love' of their country?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein Because all Nazis find themselves patriotic?
In other words: there is no significant difference between patriotism and fascism, because they are both blinded by their 'love' of their country?
Once again, thanks for your unique 'take' on things. Patriotism is like fascism? Perhaps, for some folks it is. Sort of like verbally "correcting" an errant child at the dinner table, in SOME ways, is like beating him senseless with a baseball bat. In BOTH cases, you're violating his 'space', and 'making' him do something he doesn't want to do on his own..

Interesting way of looking at things, for sure..

Old 03-08-2008, 08:13 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
I'd say that every Nazi is also a patriot, but not every patriot is also a Nazi (or extremist, but if he isn't careful he will become one, since imo it is a sliding scale).

Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I'd say that every Nazi is also a patriot, but not every patriot is also a Nazi (or extremist, but if he isn't careful he will become one, since imo it is a sliding scale).
Of course you're correct to a point. I myself wrote a post months ago, suggesting that Patriotism would be impossible unless one chose, at some point, to arbitrarily make the decision to side with "us" over "them".

The entire concept of nations, groups, or loyalty, at some point, requires that one leave his own instincts behind, and follow the 'herd'. Some of this can be done with great care and discretion....but of course, as you say, it can get 'out of hand', too...

Ironically, it's worth noting that in this, like any OTHER human behavior, there can be an equally harmful "backlash". In this case, we could say that the absolute blind determination NOT to give in to patriotism, may IN ITSELF involve another sort of "giving in"...that is, giving in to the instincts of the group that REJECTS patriotism...

It's really a balancing act, and in some ways, a simple trade-off....(just like any OTHER commitment is)...sort of like making a conscious decision to be TOLERANT...of everything, except intolerance.....Or attending a "peace march", and becoming so passionate about Peace, that you feel like "beating up" those who oppose you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies