Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It goes a hell of a lot farther than were we are. And as I've already posted, 65% of Black adults want school vouchers. So why vote for the political party that adamantly opposes them? Makes no sense whatsoever. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that Blacks deliberately vote FOR their own continued educational and therefore socioeconomic oppression.
You evidently didn't read the rest of my response. I live in a city with a Democratic mayor, majority Democratic city council, and majority Democratic county board.

All of them support school vouchers....

Conservatives/GOP do not exclusively support them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 09:39 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I really think if the GOP cared about the entire Bill or Rights, not just the 2nd amendment, 50% of "non White Hispanics" would vote GOP. You can't seriously propose nationwide stop and frisk and still support the right to avoid unreasonable searches. The GOP has also enacted voter ID legislation that is meant to prevent poor people from voting, a violation of the right to vote. I don't think the average Black voter agrees with 100% of the Democrat platform but the GOP has allowed themselves to be painted as the enemy that must be stopped.

While I tend to vote Democrat it is not healthy to have 60% of Whites voting GOP and 75% of non Whites voting Democrat. In the Deep South 90% of Blacks vote Democrat and 90% of Whites vote GOP. I think it is the main thing holding up progress on immigration reform and causing the split on refugees. America would be a better place if every racial group was a swing vote.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:40 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Vouchers are opposed by Administrators and school trustees in my state. We have no teacher unions.
65% of Black adults want to be able to use school vouchers. Why are School Administrators and Trustees in your state opposed to the beliefs of the majority of their Black constituents?

Old 10-27-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IMO, state money should follow the student. All of them. Not just the ones stuck in a badly performing school.
I agree 100%. Vouchers and school choice for ALL.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You evidently didn't read the rest of my response. I live in a city with a Democratic mayor, majority Democratic city council, and majority Democratic county board.

All of them support school vouchers....
So... do all students get vouchers? If not, why not?

Old 10-27-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
So... do all students get vouchers? If not, why not?
All students who have parents who want them can get them.

I have 2 children and neither of them receive a voucher. See previous post for my reasons for not getting them. IMO they are of no benefit for my children. Some other children though, they are of benefit. I have nieces/nephews who get vouchers.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
65% of Black adults want to be able to use school vouchers. Why are School Administrators and Trustees in your state opposed to the beliefs of the majority of their Black constituents?
Wanted to also add, do you think that black Democrats are not for school vouchers??

Most of the cities with large black populations have black elected officials in office who are Democrats. Our mayor for instance, is a Democrat who supports school vouchers and is black.

If 65% of black people support vouchers (including myself) then it would stand to reason that at least 65% of elected black Democrats support school vouchers. Honestly, I think over 80% of black people and black elected officials support vouchers.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
All students who have parents who want them can get them.
So... any parent can get a school voucher to have their kids attend any school of their choice?

Prove it.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Wanted to also add, do you think that black Democrats are not for school vouchers??

Most of the cities with large black populations have black elected officials in office who are Democrats. Our mayor for instance, is a Democrat who supports school vouchers and is black.

If 65% of black people support vouchers (including myself) then it would stand to reason that at least 65% of elected black Democrats support school vouchers. Honestly, I think over 80% of black people and black elected officials support vouchers.
And exactly WHERE are all these localities that provide school vouchers to any or every student?

Old 10-27-2016, 11:02 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
And exactly WHERE are all these localities that provide school vouchers to any or every student?
DC did for a time, but Obama and the Dems let that rule expire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies