Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 04:56 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
You know, I really can't answer this one like I can't answer why most don't acknowledge black MEN who are contributing to society. This is why it is more important than ever that we've advocates for these causes.
I can only give my opinion. I think it is because Blacks in general are looked at as useless in American society. Black men, in particular, have a distinction of being both looked down on and feared. If you're looked down on relative to other groups, you'll be considered useless and/or despised. If you're feared relative to other groups, you will be viewed as a danger to society. If one is viewed as useless, hated, and feared at the same time, that increases the likelihood of other problems. Going missing and there not being much of a public outcry could be one consequence. Another consequence is a higher likelihood of getting killed.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
You know, I really can't answer this one like I can't answer why most don't acknowledge black MEN who are contributing to society. This is why it is more important than ever that we've advocates for these causes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can only give my opinion. I think it is because Blacks in general are looked at as useless in American society. Black men, in particular, have a distinction of being both looked down on and feared. If you're looked down on relative to other groups, you'll be considered useless and/or despised. If you're feared relative to other groups, you will be viewed as a danger to society. If one is viewed as useless, hated, and feared at the same time, that increases the likelihood of other problems. Going missing and there not being much of a public outcry could be one consequence. Another consequence is a higher likelihood of getting killed.

Yet again, black WOMEN and GIRLS issues/concerns/crises are cast aside to discuss black MEN'S issues.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yet again, black WOMEN and GIRLS issues/concerns/crises are cast aside to discuss black MEN'S issues.
I'm not trying to cast aside anyone's issues, I'm just saying that when one sees other media sources are not covering a particular segment of the population, then a member of that population should be the one to step up. Also, this is the discussion to put it all out there. You want to discuss issues that black women and girls, face, lets talk ma'am. Let's put it on the table. As the OP/discussion head, I'd be interested in hearing it and chiming in.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've never watched it. I didn't hear about it until recently. I just find it a fallacy that there is no movement for Black females.
The organization was started in 2006 by Beverly Bond and the award show started being TELEVISED in 2010. Last year, the program celebrated it's 10 year anniversary. Anyway, it's a beautiful program and the award show is always great to watch. Performances are top notch, great speeches and you get to see the wonderful things that black girls are doing.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to cast aside anyone's issues, I'm just saying that when one sees other media sources are not covering a particular segment of the population, then a member of that population should be the one to step up. Also, this is the discussion to put it all out there. You want to discuss issues that black women and girls, face, lets talk ma'am. Let's put it on the table. As the OP/discussion head, I'd be interested in hearing it and chiming in.
Men protect women and children.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:52 AM

Fair enough and I certainly do not condone the rape of a 15 yr old girl. I'm sure we can both agree that the guy who would do that should have his penis chopped off and burned in an oven.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
What is your solution to the crises that black girls face? We could talk about the issue of sexual assault, single motherhood, domestic violence. Where would you like to go with this?

Old 04-03-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
What is your solution to the crises that black girls face? We could talk about the issue of sexual assault, single motherhood, domestic violence. Where would you like to go with this?
I know that no one wants to have the real discussion....certainly not in this forum.

But I will say that the lack of true unity between black men and women is at the core of most of our issues.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:03 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Again, when it comes to issues concerning black WOMEN and black GIRLS the community goesSILENT. No nationwide marches or protests. No one creating organizations to save black women and black girls from atrocities. Nothing.

Why?

Chicago teen apparently raped on Facebook Live relocated | Daily Mail Online

Missing black girls in DC spark outrage, prompt calls for federal help - CNN.com

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ice-this-year/
Agreed. It is very sad. Unfortunately, race and gender are double strikes in this society.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I know that no one wants to have the real discussion....certainly not in this forum.

But I will say that the lack of true unity between black men and women is at the core of most of our issues.

I agree on that one. We as a people definitely need to treat each other better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies