Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 07:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I'm just reading this is disbelief. Not that I don't believe that this occurred, but just disturbed that someone could be so bold. I also have to wonder the psychology of men who would act in this manner.
What the hell is going on in their mind?

Thank you for expressing empathy and acknowledging that these experiences are hurtful.

To answer your question about the basketball player from college, I don't think that he was arrested just expelled. I remember that my friend who was raped by him was hesitant to say anything about what happened to her but she finally did let someone at the school know what happened. Things proceeded from that point.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Street harassment is just the current term that's being used, but it is really refers to inappropriate sexual attention. I think you may not perceive it to be a major problem in your area because it is not directed at you. But, if you have a wife, girlfriend or daughter ask them about their experiences - you may be surprised by their responses.

I agree. I think that some guys are only picturing women being catcalled on the street by construction workers as "street harassment" but it really can and does happen everywhere. It is the combination of being inundated with vulgar, sexual comments and also about the men's response to rejection.

Sadly, the men who become the most vitriolic and even violent when we reject or rebuff their advances are black men....of all ages, education and socioeconomic levels. I really do wish that they would stop that behavior.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:18 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Take a look at Black Lives Matter.

When was the last time they protested a black woman getting shot and killed by the police?

Why isnt anyone protesting about those missing girls in DC?

Black women seem to be getting erased from film and tv and replaced with biracial women and other women of color.

Anyone can take a look and see that millions of videos are made about how bad black women are on YOutube.

Guess who the main ones perpetrating it are? Black men.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:39 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Street harassment is just the current term that's being used, but it is really refers to inappropriate sexual attention. I think you may not perceive it to be a major problem in your area because it is not directed at you. But, if you have a wife, girlfriend or daughter ask them about their experiences - you may be surprised by their responses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I agree. I think that some guys are only picturing women being catcalled on the street by construction workers as "street harassment" but it really can and does happen everywhere. It is the combination of being inundated with vulgar, sexual comments and also about the men's response to rejection.

Sadly, the men who become the most vitriolic and even violent when we reject or rebuff their advances are black men....of all ages, education and socioeconomic levels. I really do wish that they would stop that behavior.
I agree with both of these. I especially agree that for me personally the worst offenders of men were black men in my life.

And for pandora, it is not just from walking down the street. It happens in malls and grocery stores and all sorts of places. Most of the time when my hand was grabbed, I was in a store and someone wanted to speak to me and I didn't have time for that. It also consistently happened to me when I got gas at gas stations and it still primarily happens to me at gas stations or in stores.

Ironically, yesterday, it happened to me at McDonald's, where a man and I walked in at the same time and he began an inappropriate conversation with me about how we should be holding hands and reached for my hand and I gave him my "look" and he did apologize. I have a hard look and he could tell I wasn't about those games. Other people also looked at him oddly because it was just inappropriate of him this whole conversation and him reaching for my hand. But they didn't say anything.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:15 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Take a look at Black Lives Matter.

When was the last time they protested a black woman getting shot and killed by the police?
BLM has to be one of the mos bipolar movements out there at this moment. It started off as a social media hashtag founded by three black women, two of them being LGBT. It has later evolved to be movement protesting the deaths of black men who were slain by cops. Yet, their website seems to suggest that the movement is more focused on black feminism and black LGBTQ activism.

Why isnt anyone protesting about those missing girls in DC?
I have to wonder, if nobody is protesting them or if news sources just choose not to air these protests as it doesn't get them views. That said, I tweet and I'll try to do better about raising awareness for incidents such as this. Thankfully we now have the female equivalent of #SAYHERNAME to address these incidents.

Black women seem to be getting erased from film and tv and replaced with biracial women and other women of color. For a while this did seem to be happening, especially is music videos. That said regarding TV, there does seem to be a slow reemergence of dark skinned black women on TV with lead roles with shows like "Insecure" with Issa Raye, "How To Get Away With Murder" (Viola Davis, Aja Naomi King), "The Quad" (Anika Noni Rose, Jazz Raycole), The Walking Dead (Danai Gurira), several [noticeably] black female leads on "Orange Is The New Black"

Anyone can take a look and see that millions of videos are made about how bad black women are on YOutube.

Guess who the main ones perpetrating it are? Black men. it is sad, and I believe that it's rooted in self hatred. Self hatred that's been covered up for way too long.
Response in purple.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 04-08-2017 at 08:54 AM..

Old 04-08-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with both of these. I especially agree that for me personally the worst offenders of men were black men in my life.

And for pandora, it is not just from walking down the street. It happens in malls and grocery stores and all sorts of places. Most of the time when my hand was grabbed, I was in a store and someone wanted to speak to me and I didn't have time for that. It also consistently happened to me when I got gas at gas stations and it still primarily happens to me at gas stations or in stores. Just so you know, I'm not doubting you by any means. Granted, I have not really had this conversation with BW. I also want to know, with these encounters, what was it that kept you from completely writing BM off?

Ironically, yesterday, it happened to me at McDonald's, where a man and I walked in at the same time and he began an inappropriate conversation with me about how we should be holding hands and reached for my hand and I gave him my "look" and he did apologize. I have a hard look and he could tell I wasn't about those games. Other people also looked at him oddly because it was just inappropriate of him this whole conversation and him reaching for my hand. Inapproriate and rather narcissistic But they didn't say anything.
You should have shown the McDonalds guy your wedding ring!

Old 04-08-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
You should have shown the McDonalds guy your wedding ring!
These situations are volatile often escalate very quickly into extremely vulgar verbal attacks or even worse. Most women understand that it is better to not make eye contact or verbally engage because it will be viewed as encouragement. However, not engaging does not mean that these men will not attack you.

The typical response from these guys after you do not acknowledge them or their vulgar "compliment" is something like "Eff you then, b*tch. You aren't that pretty anyway. Next time you better say something when I speak to you. Eff these black b*tches".

Each and every black woman who is reading this post has heard these EXACT SAME WORDS. Every one.

I know that many of the guys reading this thread discussion are still not taking the issue seriously and are apathetic but black women have been MURDERED for telling black men to stop touching them or grinding on them. #sayhername Tiarah Poyau.

The 2nd video expounds on everything that the black women posting have been saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGP0kjV6IQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFl__Skgf5w

Last edited by calipoppy; 04-08-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 04-08-2017, 09:41 AM

More black women murdered for telling black men "no".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-5LgQAOCOU

Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 AM

I don't know if any of you remember the story of Asia McGowan. She was a 20 yr old woman who was shot by a classmate at the community college that she attended. Both were you tubers, the shooter was Anthony Powell who ultimately shot himself. Now anyone who say his rants online could clearly see that he was ****** up in the head. That was a tragic story th in and of its self. He stalked this girl to the point of death.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:45 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LBILOkmNXB4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FHq7W0Sk-kI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies