Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2016, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 4,531 times

Advertisements

In every Presidential election the race card has been played and will be played if there are votes to be had. This one was no different except Trump yelled and put it up front. Maybe he embolden th KKK and Neo Nazi and other white supremacy groups. Black people survived slavery and Jim Crow we will survive Trump but the country may not.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:55 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta2016 View Post
In every Presidential election the race card has been played and will be played if there are votes to be had. This one was no different except Trump yelled and put it up front. Maybe he embolden th KKK and Neo Nazi and other white supremacy groups. Black people survived slavery and Jim Crow we will survive Trump but the country may not.
This has been my point all along. All these other groups going crazy in the streets and the real heat hasn't even hit them yet. For them, the night Trump won was the most important night of their lives. But for us, it was Tuesday. Points for anyone that can remember what movie that was from

Old 11-13-2016, 02:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Because "acting out" doesn't actually end with positive results.

I've linked a Google search to "Freedom Rider" images. I would urge people to stop and actually look at those people. They are college students engaged in a very sober manner in a quiet protest that was predicted would end with them being killed.

Young people had already been murdered for their cause. Martin Luther King told them point blank with cold seriousness: "Those people will kill you."

They didn't "act out." They wore their "Church clothes" to show their serious dignity. They merely did what normal people do: Get on a bus and ride from point A to point B. Anyone should be able to do that.

"Attack us, arrest us, prosecute us, jail us....we will fill your jail up."
I can't lie there is something about the classic way of dressing (i.e. dress clothes) at a protest, but you can be just as active in a T-shirt and jeans. Anyway, I like the old fashioned way quite a bit. This does however bring us up to the topic of respectability politics. Definition from:wikipedia

Quote:
Respectability politics or the politics of respectability refers to attempts by marginalized groups to police their own members and show their social values as being continuous, and compatible, with mainstream values rather than challenging the mainstream for its failure to accept difference.
Some would argue that Respectability Politics would be selling out or sucking up. What is your take on that suggestion?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respectability_politics

Old 11-13-2016, 02:53 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I can't lie there is something about the classic way of dressing (i.e. dress clothes) at a protest, but you can be just as active in a T-shirt and jeans. Anyway, I like the old fashioned way quite a bit. This does however bring us up to the topic of respectability politics. Definition from:wikipedia

Some would argue that Respectability Politics would be selling out or sucking up. What is your take on that suggestion?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respectability_politics

"Never offend with style when you can offend with substance" -- Samuel Brown.

Determine exactly what your point really is, then don't put any speed bumps on the way to your point.

A number of well-dressed young black and white people enter a bus in Washington DC headed for New Orleans. Whatever could be said about them, it was not that their dress or demeanor indicated they were hooligans. Whatever action the police took against them, it was for the point of being black and white and no other reason.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:58 PM

I'm all for protesting the old fashioned way and doing it with class. The reason that I bought the subject of respectability politics up is because some would call it that. Are you familiar with that particular argument?

Is anyone else familiar with the respectability politics argument?

P.S. Rapper Kendrick Lamar faced a big of backlash for his alleged "respectability politics" and for his wife being a light-skinned black woman. Anyone care to state their opinion on this?

Old 11-13-2016, 06:13 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I'm all for protesting the old fashioned way and doing it with class. The reason that I bought the subject of respectability politics up is because some would call it that. Are you familiar with that particular argument?

Is anyone else familiar with the respectability politics argument?

P.S. Rapper Kendrick Lamar faced a big of backlash for his alleged "respectability politics" and for his wife being a light-skinned black woman. Anyone care to state their opinion on this?
Respectability politics is fine when the issue really is "we want to be mainstream in your culture, but you won't let us because of insignificant differences."

Integration is inherently a "respectability politics" goal, and very distinct from a goal of "separate nationhood."

Old 11-13-2016, 06:24 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Because "acting out" doesn't actually end with positive results.

I've linked a Google search to "Freedom Rider" images. I would urge people to stop and actually look at those people. They are college students engaged in a very sober manner in a quiet protest that was predicted would end with them being killed.

Young people had already been murdered for their cause. Martin Luther King told them point blank with cold seriousness: "Those people will kill you."

They didn't "act out." They wore their "Church clothes" to show their serious dignity. They merely did what normal people do: Get on a bus and ride from point A to point B. Anyone should be able to do that.

"Attack us, arrest us, prosecute us, jail us....we will fill your jail up."
Haven't been in this thread. I haven't read the posts sense then, so, not sure the entire context to which your reply came out of.

But I wanted to rep it anyways. I learned in a former History of the Civil Rights Movement class I took in community college, that those young people on film being waterhosed and threatened by police dogs, were actually grade school black children.

The teacher pointed out as well that in those old films you will notice how well dressed all the young black people were. In what today would be regarded as "Sunday Church clothing." Actually, better than that as many go to Church on Sunday now dressed in regular "street attire."

But to be fair... both white and black people in the 1950's and early 1960's went to school and work dressed not in jeans but in casual or dress slacks, often times with collared shirts, belt, and casual or dress shoes.

I like my jeans with contrast stitching, so, I don'5 necessarily want to go back to that cultural norm per se. But on average they did dress better than a lot of the youth today. Particularly those with their jeans sagging down.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Haven't been in this thread. I haven't read the posts sense then, so, not sure the entire context to which your reply came out of.

But I wanted to rep it anyways. I learned in a former History of the Civil Rights Movement class I took in community college, that those young people on film being waterhosed and threatened by police dogs, were actually grade school black children.

The teacher pointed out as well that in those old films you will notice how well dressed all the young black people were. In what today would be regarded as "Sunday Church clothing." Actually, better than that as many go to Church on Sunday now dressed in regular "street attire."

But to be fair... both white and black people in the 1950's and early 1960's went to school and work dressed not in jeans but in casual or dress slacks, often times with collared shirts, belt, and casual or dress shoes.

I like my jeans with contrast stitching, so, I don'5 necessarily want to go back to that cultural norm per se. But on average they did dress better than a lot of the youth today. Particularly those with their jeans sagging down.
Hi, welcome to the discussion. I'd actually be interested in your perspective regarding the various topics in this thread.

Anyway....I've had teachers lament about the dress code in schools during that era (girls wore dresses, boys hair to be nicely cut, etc). My own dad grew up in an era where he wasn't allowed to wear shorts to school. Me being a 90s kid, well the fashion was not as strict with shirts, shorts, pants, dresses, etc......that is until the Parish (a county in Louisiana) that I live in adopted a uniform dress code.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:24 PM

233 posts, read 191,075 times
Black (Thug Male) Lives Matter is a joke. This misogynistic sexist "movement" was given a national platform to publicly disparage all cops in defense of the most bottom barrel individuals of our community. It was so embarrassing to witness protests here in Charlotte where I live defending that idiot who was gunned down after brandishing a weapon to a cop. As a black woman I am statistically more likely to be harmed by a black male living in my community vs a racist white cop. In fact, I feel safer when the cops are visibly present. Black women and girls experience disproportionate rape, incest, domestic violence, and HIV/AIDS transmission as compared to other races of women. 7 out of 10 black babies are birthed out of wedlock. We have higher proportionate rates of murder, gang violence, incarceration, and poverty. But "black lives matter"...right? Or is it only when a black male life is taken by a white cop? And anyone who dares to question why this is and demand personal responsibility is automatically labeled as an uncle tom or coon.

White men ran to the polls in record numbers for a reason. Maybe they are tired of being made the scapegoat for the country's problems when each "marginalized" group has blame and responsibility for their own condition. Maybe they are sick of turning on the news every night and seeing "Black Lives Matter" one minute and the next reading how this was the deadliest year for black on black crime (homicides) in the southside of Chicago. Maybe they're tired of busting their behinds to make a honest living; having their taxes increase year after year, deductions slashed, healthcare premiums rise in support of a culture which says they don't matter, or at worst, the enemy. November 9th they showed the world that they do matter. Personally I think Trump's election is the best thing that could happen to black people. And I say that as a liberal/democrat who never voted for a republican. The gravy train is thankfully coming to an end. The phrase "you don't work you don't eat" will become reality. When these social safety nets and generations of welfare handouts cease under a Trump administration maybe we will finally start to wake up and take responsibility for the condition of our neighborhoods and community.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:48 PM

How can a movement started by three women (two of them being LGBT) be misogynistic? Care to explain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies