Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 05:38 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

^^

Keep wanting to go back to BLM, because politically no other group is claiming to represent our interest, and its being used against us (politically, economically, socially).

I think its interesting they pushed the feminist agenda, and did not have a. single. mention. of. men. on. their. website. This whole revival of feminism seemed to kick back up around that time, so going so far as saying they hate black men.

The group could've never gained the traction they did on racism alone. Or pushing feminism or even lgbt issues. Interesting what was pushed when the uprising started, and they needed something to 'prop.'

Old 01-14-2017, 09:16 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
^^

Keep wanting to go back to BLM, because politically no other group is claiming to represent our interest, and its being used against us (politically, economically, socially).
There are, but they are smaller and more local in activity.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Let's keep this discussion civil.I don't mind members of other races commenting, but this is NOT a Stormfront thread. Also for those who are actively engaged in this discussion, if you come across a post by one of these Stormfronters, DO NOT engage in conversation with them. Just make your point to them and then continue the discussion as if they are not even there. Let me reiterate, they can't not bear [despise, hate, detest] the idea of not being worshiped and they will interject themselves in matters that do not [in any way, shape, or form] concern them. As said earlier, they will not stop until they have the final word.

Thanks for listening people, carry on.
So you do mind but can't really call this the official blacks only c&d thread.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:27 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
The BLM movement started out as a social media hashtag. I support the hashtag but, the movement seems to be focused on black feminism and LGBT rights. It appears that they actually see no place for black fathers, considering how detrimental the absence of fathers is to our community. Now obviously, some men or abusive and no father is better than an anusive one. That said, there are many black mothers who are HORRIBLE parents. Why not talk about the kids affected by that?

http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 01-14-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 01-14-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
So you do mind but can't really call this the official blacks only c&d thread.
ESPECIALLY does not mean EXCLUSIVELY. I have no qualms with anyone chiming in, however select posters only come in to bash black people. Just look at these select poster's posting history and you will see what I mean.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:12 PM

Default Reality TV

Do you feel that reality television is harmful to the black community or at least helps to reinforce stereotypes?

Old 01-17-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this. However, I'll note that statistics do back me up about the fact that especially in urban areas the 1970s in particular were much more dangerous than today. The 1990s was the era of the highest amount of violent crime ever tallied in our country - the era when I was a teenager,I often wonder what the previous generations did wrong that made it unsafe for my generation (born in the late 80s, grew up in the 90s). Any ideas? which is why I have a lot of experience with gangs and seeing a lot of violence. It is very noticeable about how calm things are today. The crack epidemic happened during the 80s/90s as well and prior to that in many black urban areas there was a heroin epidemic in the late 60s through the 1970s. My spouse is from Chicago and had 3 members of his family murdered there in the 1970s and another 3 die of heroin overdoses.

On the riots thing, there were way more riots in the 1960s that caused much more loss of life and property than any of the more recent riots. I lived in Detroit for a while and areas of Detroit decimated in the riot of 1967 were never rebuilt and never recovered from that violent incident which was caused by the same issue that causes riots today - police brutality. The "reasons" for the riots are still the same. Nearly every riot where black people have rioted past and present have something to do with police brutality or perceived ill treatment from law enforcement. Prior to that "race riots" were basically whites going and attacking black people due to them perceiving blacks doing something criminal. There was also the politically motivated riot at the Chicago DNC in 1968. In Detroit, over 40 people were killed in that riot in 1967. The 60s in particular, riots were not "rare" and the reasons for blacks rioting then and now are the same. Whites rioted as well back then based on political issues, same as the election demonstrations/riots today. But all in all, people are much less violent today. You just didn't see it on the TV as much as you do today in the 70s-90s because everyone wasn't watching 24 hour news channels where they were being told how horrible everything is.
Any suggestions on the blue question?

Old 01-17-2017, 05:30 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Do you feel that reality television is harmful to the black community or at least helps to reinforce stereotypes?
Add YouTube to that.

Yes, because negativity always sells.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:33 PM

There's plenty of ****ery on YouTube as well. Add Worldstar to the list too!

Old 01-18-2017, 09:01 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
What do you think of this woman's stance on black feminism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqAyxAYtykI
I think this is her opinion.

I also consider myself a black feminist.

However, I am very aware of the fact that both racism and sexism are issues for black women. I also am not above "using" white women to further the goals of black women when it comes to issues of sexism.

I also wanted to note many of the things she mentions in this video are not true IMO. I do not agree that "white women got rights before black men." Black men had the right to vote for decades before white women did in those parts of the country where they were allowed to vote. Black men also had rights to their money if they were businessmen that a married white woman would not have.

I think both black men and white women have a history of discrimination but for different reasons and that they were similar.

However, as black women, I believe that we have issues that are completely separate from black men. I agree that black men are discriminated against based on race and I don't hate men. But I also know, and I'm sure this woman knows, that as a black woman, we have a unique position in the country and we are affected by both racism and sexism.

Even though black women are more likely to be employed, we are more likely to be employed in lower paying, lower level positions versus black men. To this day, black men make more money than black women even though we have a greater representation in employment versus black men. Black women make less money than black men even though we have more education than black men. IMO that is cause for sexism.

Also she is incorrect in that if a black man is a single father, he can get benefits or welfare unless he is a felon, same as a black woman. He can also get child support from the non-custodial mother. But IMO as black women, we should not be focused on getting welfare anyway, we should be focused on health disparities with black women and children, we also should be focused on the fact that lower wages places a burden on black women/mothers and children since a large percentage of black households are headed by black women. That is the main reason why poverty levels are high in black families - because of the low wages being paid to black women. We should be focused on increasing the quality of education that black girls receive. We should be focused on increasing sexual and reproductive education for our black female teens and women to ensure we are better protected from STDs, something that drastically affects black girls/women more than men. We should be focused on encouraging our talented young women into getting into fields that will provide them more income and better quality of life and due to that, we need to ensure that we infiltrate white feminist organizations that work on "equal pay" to ensure that those goals and activities represent us as black women. Whenever I am "approached" by a white feminist, I always listen to them and I usually will attend whatever meeting they are holding. Oftentimes, I take over an agenda and will steer the focus to black women/girls. We need to do this more often because we should be our greatest activist.

FWIW, I do feel that black men need to be more socially involved. There is a lack of activity around issues affecting black men and boys BY black men in particular. As a black woman, I know that I cannot teach a boy to be a man and especially not how to adequately and safely navigate this world as a black man. It is up to our men to be stronger role models and family men and fathers and uncles/brothers/sons and IMO that organization and activity and insistence for the rights of black men should not fall squarely on the shoulders of black women like these "movements" of late seem to do.

I admire this woman and her dedication to black men; however, I'll note that many black men are not as dedicated to black women as we are to them. IMO she seems to repeat a lot of things I hear from black men in regards to how they are the most oppressed people in this country. Too often our issues as black women are overlooked not only by white women, but by black women like this individual. I do not consider her a black feminist or "womanist" being that she is not focused on the uplift of black women as females and only spoke of race. Black women, again, are faced with both sexism and racism and it is important that we focus, as womanists on both issues and not try to placate the desires of black men by not speaking and actively working on issues that disparately affect black women and children and black families as a whole.

Other things she is wrong about include Planned Parenthood, this is a common black nationalist thing that is spouted online - that PP is about destroying black people and that was its main goals....It is ridiculous.

She does not seem well learned on history and is repeating a lot of the things that you posted earlier in this thread that are based on people repeating incorrect information that they saw in another video or read in a meme and they are taking it as a truth and repeating it. Most of what she said IMO was nonsense based on the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies