Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 11:52 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post

In terms of the enlisted ranks I would say--based on my experience--institutional racism does not exist much at all in the Marine Corps. Personal racism exists because some people come out of racist homes and communities..
well, isn't that the point I was trying to make? Although you wrote a novel, I have to say, the above actually made my point.

The so called racist people are actually just people who are prejudiced. no?

Old 10-27-2016, 12:08 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post

No, that would be the French Foreign Legion, by their spoken code they are not to attack the enemy with hatred, and are to show respect to all conquered enemy.

No such code exists in the US Marine Corps, in fact, it is promoted to attack your enemy with extreme prejudice. To produce a war face of psychotic hatred. .
well, Just about every military branch thinks they are better than just about everybody else. Who is better or who is more honorable, well, I learned at an early age, just don't go there.

The USMC is not well funded at all. I read that the USMC budget was 30 billion. This is figure is probably too high as well. In 1991, the budget for the USMC was 7 billion dollars. This was when the USMC was considerably larger than it is now. However, what isn't included in the USMC budget is it's assistance from the Navy, and I would think that alone would cost quite a bit of peso. The smaller size and smaller budget of the USMC is why they focus on small unit tactics as opposed to combined arms training.

The USMC has an almost religious focus on small unit tactics. Most people who served in the infantry in any Western military who also served in the legion will tell you that there is no real difference in proficiency. The Legion has going for it harsh discipline, a high level of fitness, and esprit de corps. The USMC has the same.

So comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. and it is not a really fair comparison.

Where the USMC has the real advantage right now is that their Combat units have a very high percentage of actual Combat Vets...sustained operations over long periods of time. The FFL does not have that level of actual combat experience. Training is Training...both are very good and train to good levels...which can be said of any Western Combat units. But in actual combat experience the US and UK militaries have the most experience at this time. So if equal size units of the USMC and FFL were to engage in combat I would say the USMC would win but it wouldn't be easy or bloodless.

The Foreign Legion has also a fairly respectable number of Special Forces involved in covert operations.
Again I do not question the qualification of the US Marine Corp and in fact by shear numbers the Marine Corp would overwhelmed the Foreign Legion. But a comparison between the two is not possible since they both fit a very special niche in the large picture of the Allied fighting forces.

I would say that there is No doubt the Marine Corp has proven itself a tough and first rate fighting force, however a comparison with the engagements and battle history of the French Foreign Legion is equally impressive. Both have different code of honor. Comparing the French Foreign Legion to the Marine Corp is like trying to compare a 20mm Oerlikon with an Uzi Submachine gun. Two differnt weapons two different use.

By the way, when I said, "for the most party, the Marines choose not to follow the path of hatred." what i meant was they don't hate each other for the color of their skin, even though they make racist jokes.

---------------------------

By the way, I can tell now that my comment

I've been told by many of my personal friends that in the Marine training schools, whites outperform minorities in just about every category. Don't get me wrong, I don't know if this is true or not..

is the reason for this debate. If so, i must say this is not my intention. Personal observation based on biased personal experience is just that.. biased personal experience. This (observation based on biased personal experience) doesn't make any of my friends racists. They are not racists although they might use racist jokes sometimes. They have this unbreakable brotherhood and they will certainly die for the Marine next to them (color is not an issue)

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-27-2016 at 12:40 AM..

Old 10-27-2016, 12:29 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
"Racism" is caused by forcing too genetically distant and dissimilar groups together who are not compatible or interchangeable and then forcing outcomes. It's a totally avoidable problem unlike lookism, sexism, classism, ageism etc.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:41 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Great post OP,but I am afraid things are more complex than race.

For one,many think American culture is synonymous with white or European when it is not.
It is a mixture of different races and cultures,a sort of all in one.

Second,sex and race are not exclusive.
The answer would depend of if said black person is a man or a woman.
I do believe black women face more discrimination than black men,but that is from whites in addition to black men who put down their own women.
Every time a black woman wants to bring out a problem,black men shut it down.
Case in point? How many black women can you name who were shot and killed by the police vs the number of black men we hear about?

Lastly,and many will disagree with me,but colorism is taking over racism IMO.
Look at all the dark skin vs light skin things happening in the media.
Most people have to face the fact,but a white person is more likely to discriminate against a dark skin person vs a light skin person,esp if said dark skin person is a woman with wide facial features,obese,and natural hair.
There is evidence to back up my claims with colorism.
There was a study that was done that showed that dark skinned blacks were more likely to be poor and live in the ghetto. The same with the study of light skinned prisoners getting less time than dark skin prisoners.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
but a white person is more likely to discriminate against a dark skin person vs a light skin person,esp if said dark skin person is a woman with wide facial features,obese,and natural hair.
There is evidence to back up my claims with colorism.
There was a study that was done that showed that dark skinned blacks were more likely to be poor and live in the ghetto. The same with the study of light skinned prisoners getting less time than dark skin prisoners.
You're not wrong about "colorism". That's a worldwide longstanding phenomenon. But not just a white person, but a non-white black or brown or whatever color person is more likely to discriminate against someone darker. Your post is very anti-white and anti-European. I don't know if it is a white skin prejudice or just racial prejudice.

As a white person, just isolating to complexion I don't find being too pale or too dark appealing.

Your other error is to assume groups are exactly the same but for differences in just skin color. This is done to scapegoat and transfer the responsibility of outcomes on to others.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:09 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
At the risk of being accused of being "obsessed with black people" again, I'll respond to only this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
As a white male I would like to respond to this thread. I am not racists in the sense of disliking blacks for their(your) color or culture of anything like that. What I resent is that when blacks and whites live in the same areas of the same community whites lose our identity as whites.
European Americans can only be culturally and socially what we are when we live amongst our own kind with our own neighborhoods in our own areas of town or in our own towns. So if it happens that I resent blacks it isn't because I don't like blacks per se it is because of their intrusion into white towns and white neighborhoods. But blacks could take that as racism without knowing the reason behind my feelings. At the same time I can appreciate much about blacks like their music beat and their down to earth approach as I perceive it. But I can appreciate those things when blacks live in their own areas and whites live in our own areas.
What the hell are you talking about? I'm white, have Irish/English/Italian/Choctaw in my blood. Are you suggesting that if a black person lives in my neighborhood, I cannot practice my own culture? I can't practice the Irish traditions when moving in to a new home, on New Year's Eve, several times during the year depending on the time of year because a black person might live across the street from me? I can't learn Gaelic because I have a black neighbor? I can't just "be me" because there's a black family over there? Because that's utter BS.

I've lived around all kinds of races my entire life. I remember a black family that lived across the circle from us when I was a kid. (We didn't have streets, we had a circle.) What I remember about them is that they were very welcoming. And the reason that I remember that is because I LOVED going over there to sit in their stone garden at the Koi pond and stare at the fish all day. Not once did I ever feel the need to act anything other than who I was. I don't even remember much about them because they were like any other neighbor in that circle who I also don't remember much about. The only reason I remember their house is because of the Koi pond that they had...and frankly, they looked to be doing a lot better financially than the rest of us based on their home. Seriously, their home was nice. Everyone else had the standard "middle income family" type home.

I've also spent time in Houston, as another poster talked about. There's no zoning. You live where you live, and it can be with anyone. Every neighborhood has all kinds of people from different races and cultures. Guess what? They get along. You know why? I think it's because there's no zoning - people know that they are free to live where they can afford, and it's not all white or all black or all Hispanic. It's mixed. That's the way it should be.

For the record, are you Irish or English or Italian? If not, then maybe if you lived across the street from me, I could not "culturally or socially" be who I am if you're there. What if you're German? Or Russian? Or French? Well, how am I supposed to practice my Irish culture with a bunch of French people milling about?

You see how stupid that sounds? You should be proud enough of your own heritage and culture that it doesn't matter who lives near you, you can practice it. I would not care one whit if I was the only white person in the neighborhood, I'd still put out my sage, my coins, my candles, etc. And?

Right now I live in a neighborhood that is very diversified. My next door neighbor is a black man with an Hispanic girlfriend. Not once have they not allowed me to practice my culture or be me. In fact, the guy and I had a talk a few months ago and found out we both are gamers.

I'm one of the few white people here. Everyone gets along. People are relatively friendly. I have strangers talking to me for no reason than to just talk to me. No one gives a damn what race you are, no one forces their culture on to you, no one mocks your culture, everyone just lets everyone else live, and not once have we ever talked about race. We just get up, go to work, come home, and live our lives. You know what most people do in this huge apartment complex I live in? I know, because I walk my dogs a few times each night - once after their dinner and once before bed...so I know what most people are doing around here. They're in their homes either watching tv, eating, or sitting outside having a few drinks with other neighbors. Everyone just being who they are.

Here's something to chew on:

I don't think SNL is all that funny, but every once in awhile, they come up with something good. This was obviously for comedy, and some idiots see it as them mocking a Trump supporter, but the fact is, in this skit they show that blacks and whites aren't as different as they think they are. I hope that you can get that out of the video and not completely miss the point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VaXlMvAvk

Notice how the "ignorant, redneck, Trump supporter" has the same beliefs as the other contestants on the show? Was he trying to act any other way than what he thought? No, SNL would never allow such a thing. What SNL, and maybe some others won't recognize, is that with this skit, SNL revealed that it's not we who should be fighting each other, but we who should be fighting the entity that has people believing that racism is a belief by the majority of whites, when reality is, it's rare.

I've lived all over this country, and I can tell you one place that was very racist...there were a few whites who were, but most of them were Latino. One city. I've lived in liberal havens where I don't think they hate black people, but they are more bigoted than they think. I think most of that comes from trying so hard not to be bigoted, they end up being bigoted.

If they would just calm the F down and realize we are all people and it's OKAY to say that someone had black skin or white skin just as it's okay to say someone had brown hair or blonde hair, they wouldn't be so hung up on who is black and who isn't and how do they appear to blacks, are they choosing the right words, do they appear friendly enough, have the apologized and groveled enough...it's pretty sickening. If you are living your life that way, your enemy is not a black neighbor. Your enemy is you.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
As a white male I would like to respond to this thread. I am not racists in the sense of disliking blacks for their(your) color or culture of anything like that. What I resent is that when blacks and whites live in the same areas of the same community whites lose our identity as whites.
European Americans can only be culturally and socially what we are when we live amongst our own kind with our own neighborhoods in our own areas of town or in our own towns. So if it happens that I resent blacks it isn't because I don't like blacks per se it is because of their intrusion into white towns and white neighborhoods. But blacks could take that as racism without knowing the reason behind my feelings. At the same time I can appreciate much about blacks like their music beat and their down to earth approach as I perceive it. But I can appreciate those things when blacks live in their own areas and whites live in our own areas.
I missed this post but this is spot on. It's not about racism, superior/inferior and other liberal narratives. Some people just don't want to be imposed upon and scapegoated constantly. And they want to maintain and conserve their culture and identity and cohesiveness unfettered and allow it to proceed naturally. One can even admire different cultures and diversity, but the best way to do that is for cultures to be mostly separate and allowed to thrive.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
The so called "racial climate" to me is the same as it's always been.... that's to say, I don't feel any racial tensions that I've never felt before. And no, I don't feel discriminated against on a regular basis. I have all the same non black friends that I've always had.

As to how I feel about this black group or that black group, I'll only go so far as to say that I have some issues with them and I disagree with certain aspects of their movement. But in the interest of unity, I'm certainly not gonna say who those groups are and what issues I have with their platform or presentation. That's dirty laundry within the family and I don't wash it publicly.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But in the interest of unity, I'm certainly not gonna say who those groups are and what issues I have with their platform or presentation. That's dirty laundry within the family and I don't wash it publicly.
I wished they'd wash it or keep their dirty laundry in the family and leave everyone else alone. I wished whites had unity again and told everyone else to butt out. Either big obtrusive liberal identity group government has to go or the identity groups.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:21 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
I'm confused. Who's stopping whites from thriving again? You have some neighborhoods that are racially mixed and you have others that are racially homogeneous. For any culture to thrive there does need to exist a certain extent of sticking together but one should not live in a box and only associate with those of the same color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies