Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 PM

72,814 posts, read 62,135,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
My great grandfather was a farmer; he had a grocery cart (he would sell produce in town to white and black residents and to the local hotel/restaurants). He also grew and sold corn, cotton and (I think) soybeans crops and had livestock.
And Black people can still do this today. In fact, because of Jim Crow being struck down, and the freedom to buy land wherever a person wants, buying land is easier. A Black person willing to work for it can buy land for farming in any state. In fact, in some places homesteading is still an option. You just need to have a plan and learn your craft. No, it isn't easy. However, it can be done.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,449,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And Black people can still do this today. In fact, because of Jim Crow being struck down, and the freedom to buy land wherever a person wants, buying land is easier. A Black person willing to work for it can buy land for farming in any state. In fact, in some places homesteading is still an option. You just need to have a plan and learn your craft. No, it isn't easy. However, it can be done.
But we don't.

My great grandfather was able to navigate 1920s Jim Crow, lynch happy, Klan controlled Mississippi to make financial gains and give his progeny an advantage. So what stops us now? With ALL of the ways in which it is easier for us to build wealth in 2017, why are we not doing it?

Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

There is never just one thing happening. Several new things happened in the decade after the Civil Rights Act was passed, only one of which being a result of the CRA:

1. The Vietnam War
2. The War on Drugs (aka The War on Young Black Men)
3. Third Wave Feminism ("A woman needs a man the way a fish needs as bicycle")
4. Black women gaining broad eligibility to the 1939 Aid to Dependent Children Act (the only result of the CRA).
5. The end of American global economic domination.

Agreed...the decline of the black nuclear family is multifaceted....and a very complex issue.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 PM

28,574 posts, read 18,582,473 times
Quote:
I think that self hatred issues in black men manifest in ways that are not as discernible as it seems to appear in black women.
I agree.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
But we don't.

My great grandfather was able to navigate 1920s Jim Crow, lynch happy, Klan controlled Mississippi to make financial gains and give his progeny an advantage. So what stops us now? With ALL of the ways in which it is easier for us to build wealth in 2017, why are we not doing it?
What stopped all the other blacks around him then? Why think it's any different?

Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 PM

3,087 posts, read 3,203,082 times
I guess it varies on drive, funds, and patience.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
What stopped all the other blacks around him then? Why think it's any different?
Many did just as well and even better from what I have been told by older family members.

Edit: Asked my mother about this....she stated that most owned their on land and there weren't really very many sharecroppers in their rural community and the Klan left them alone (for the most part) because those blacks were viewed as respectable.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 PM

33,465 posts, read 17,983,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
How do Whites lose their identity when Blacks move in? I live in a mix community and have never imposed my culture on any of my White neighbors so I'm not understanding this at all.
Me either and I am white and have black families in my neighborhood as well as Hispanics. We are all people. Great neighborhood.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Many did just as well and even better from what I have been told by older family members.

Edit: Asked my mother about this....she stated that most owned their on land and there weren't really very many sharecroppers in their rural community and the Klan left them alone (for the most part) because those blacks were viewed as respectable.
I think there were probably more local factors likely involved than that, just as there were more factors at work that made Greenwood and Archer the "Black Wall Street."

Being "respectable" did not give anyone immunity from the KKK.

There is never just one thing going on.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I think there were probably more local factors likely involved than that, just as there were more factors at work that made Greenwood and Archer the "Black Wall Street."

Being "respectable" did not give anyone immunity from the KKK.

There is never just one thing going on.

I do not disagree that there were likely other factors involved. That side of my family is related to a prominent family in the area but I am not sure if that would have protected my ancestors or a whole community.

I will dig for more of an explanation from older family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies