Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Living in AZ has just become less affordable due to the changes in health insurance. We went from 10+ insurance providers to ONE and the rates went from $300 for a silver policy to $745 for a bronze.

Just thought I'd this on to anyone who's not looked yet, prepare to be SHOCKED!
jim, our insurance for 2 is just barely under $800 a month. We had to separate into two different policies to bring our rates down to that. We each have $5,000 deductibles. In PA they are saying that our rates will increase 53% which would increase our rates to around $1,200 a month (for 2). If that's true, we will be forced to self insure for the first time in our lives.

Just like everything else, it's better to be low income and high net worth so I'd save every penny you can to increase your net worth and so you aren't so dependent on income.

It's a sad day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 07:38 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,184,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
Did they have any medical surgeries done in Canada while residing in the US? The wait time to get surgeries in Canada has Canadians coming to the US for this.
Correct. I have elderly relatives in Canada--not happy with the health insurance. One was told that she would have to wait a year for cateract surgery. This meant she would be blind until the operation. Terrible.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I saw a family interviewed briefly on a news channel early this morning because their premium increased from $700 per month to $1,800 per month.

I have my doubts that re whether it was ever designed to work. Perhaps Gruber, Ezekiel Emanuel, etc. knew that the public wouldn't accept an immediate transition to single payer, so there had to be a stop gap program that would fail.

I think the people who wrote and passed it assumed the millennial sheeple would dutifully pay the inflated premiums necessary to subsidize coverage for everyone else, plus they did not expect employers to run awayu from the employer mandate to the extent they did.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:44 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think the people who wrote and passed it assumed the millennial sheeple would dutifully pay the inflated premiums necessary to subsidize coverage for everyone else, plus they did not expect employers to run awayu from the employer mandate to the extent they did.
They thought people were stupid. And they certainly don't understand human nature.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:57 PM

444 posts, read 321,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
We need to shed as much light as possible on how this law has severely impacted (in a negative way) middle-class people.

I have had to put my relocation to AZ on indefinite hold due to the terrible health insurance landscape there (lack of PPO plans, high cost, limits on number of MD visits/yr, etc). As a retiree not old enough for Medicare, I am on my own to find and fund my health insurance and do not qualify for a subsidy. While my premiums here in AL have increased over 50% since the ACA was implemented, they are still only about half (or less, given what I've read about 2017 rates) of what I would pay in AZ. If I were in AZ, over 1/3 of my pension would go to health insurance premiums alone. And that is for the least expensive option (much worse coverage than I have now, plus a $6,000+ deductible).

Funny how this was sold to us as "fixing" the problem of people staying in jobs or locations just to keep their health insurance plan. It has done the opposite in my case.

I am in a similar position to you out in CA planning to move to AZ for retirement. I am on a COBRA plan now until around 63 1/2 yrs old so will have to pay a higher rate for 19 months in AZ if I move before 65. I plan to move before 65 and pay the difference in AZ. AZ medical was around 200 per month more expensive for 2016, not sure what 2017 will look like. I won't qualify for a subsidy. At least AZ has much lower marginal tax rates than CA, less than half what I pay now.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:03 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They thought people were stupid. And they certainly don't understand human nature.
They do think people are stupid and they do understand human nature. They understood the plan would collapse under it's own weight and people would naturally panic. Single payer was the ultimate goal, and people will be clamoring for the government to step in and set it up. It's despicable and evil, but the end-game was always single payer, no matter who got screwed.

You folks think it's bad now...Wait till you see what happens when the government takes over health care. Just look what happened to college loans.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Why is that? Do you somehow think that people turn into raging right wing conservatives on their 30th birthday or something?

No, I've just never encountered anyone older than 24 whose attitude was, 'Who cares? It doesn't effect me.' People usually outgrow that kind of thing.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:14 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No, I've just never encountered anyone older than 24 whose attitude was, 'Who cares? It doesn't effect me.' People usually outgrow that kind of thing.
You must have never been to San Francisco then, where that attitude is rampant, hence people who already own homes/condos there don't care that renters/newcomers can't afford housing, because they already got theirs

Old 10-27-2016, 08:27 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,206,347 times
So how much did the gov't share go up. I hope you are only using her income and not the total family income. You make it sound that it is just her individual policy. So you only need to list her income.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
I remember a family plan for 500 a month with a 2000 deductible... the previous ten years, the rate increased but not very much... then the ACA Obamacare hit, I pay $1000 a month with $12,000 deductible... and previous year there was a $200 increase... I am hearing that it will increase $200 again for 2017 with an even higher deductible... I can't help but think that health insurance for the past several decades only manage to get my premiums to $500 and the ACA manage to increase it more in two years than the past several decades... this is an improvement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies