Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 02:32 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times

Advertisements

Really it comes down to the letter after the President's name. If they are an R, the all the R's out there are going to say they were a great President. If they are a D, then all the D's out there are going to say they were a great President. If you are on the opposite side, then you are going to say they are a horrible President. It has nothing to do with the policies they passed or what they have created. At the end of the day, it is our two party system which runs the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 02:36 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I do give him credit for being the first President of color. I admire people who break stereotypes.
I find this amusing. I mean, I always laugh at this when people say it "first black... this...", "First woman... this..."

The focus on that only serves to tell everyone that they are inferior and should be praised because they achieved something.

Seriously, are black people stupid? Are they somehow mentally challenged in some way that the idea of them being president is an achievement of color? I always thought it was an achievement of the individual, but then... I don't look at black people as inferior specimens who should be applauded for doing something any other person of a different color skin can do.

Maybe I should then? Hmm?

Good Job President Obama! It is quite an achievement for an inferior color such as yourself to achieve such an office, you know... because the idea of a black person being capable of running and holding such an office is really unlikely, you know... because you are black!

Too bad you were a terrible president, but hey... maybe it is because you are black right? I mean, we shouldn't be surprised that you did poorly, we all praised you for simply achieving the office that a white person regularly held, so maybe we will not judge you like we would any other president, maybe... we will treat you special, because we apparently treated you as "special" for being elected.

No, no, no... it ain't racist to praise a black person for doing something a white person normally does, nope... not at all...

Oh hey... look, there is another person of color who is special because they did something a white person normally does! Lets run off and praise them for having skin color!!

/facepalm

Old 10-26-2016, 02:52 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Really it comes down to the letter after the President's name. If they are an R, the all the R's out there are going to say they were a great President. If they are a D, then all the D's out there are going to say they were a great President. If you are on the opposite side, then you are going to say they are a horrible President. It has nothing to do with the policies they passed or what they have created. At the end of the day, it is our two party system which runs the country.
Not true. Lots of republicans don't like either Bush presidents.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:17 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Why do people think Obama is a great president?

Who says that??? LMAO! I don't know one person that thinks Obama is a great President. Most think he is a lousy President. I rank him in there with Carter, another loser. Great president my a$$.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:18 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Before you say "the economy!" Or "unemployment is down!" It's because people have stopped seeking work and the new jobs have mostly been low wage jobs. Oh and he didn't kill Bin Laden either- we have our military to thank.

- Obamacare has been a bust as we are seeing now
- Our country is more divided than ever and he is partial to blame
- Things have gotten worse in the Middle East with ISIS
- We have had more terrorist attacks on US soil (bombings and shootings)
- Illegal immigration continues to be bad
- The national debt has increased the most while he has been in office.

A lot of people say "he's so cool I don't want him to leave!" Reading mean tweets about yourself doesn't make you "cool."

Another funny argument is "the only people who hate him are the racist bigots!"
Because he makes cool jokes on late night tv.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:26 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Obama tried to raise the min wage so workers make more money.
And anyone with a lick of sense would know that such a move means less jobs and doesn't really pull anyone out of poverty.

Quote:

Obamacare's problems are the republicans fault as well.
It should have never existed in the first place. The law was shoved on the American people without anyone really knowing what was in it or discussing it. It was very shady how it was pushed and signed into law and even the freaking website wouldn't work for months. Obama may have become the first president to force people to buy a product or be punished.

Quote:

Before the GW Bush White House said 935 false statements about Iraq and then invaded Iraq, ISIS did not exist.
Study: Bush, aides made 935 false statements in run-up to war - CNN.com

GW Bush created ISIS with the Iraq war not Obama.

GW Bush faced an impossible situation and made one bad move in the Middle East. But it did get other countries to not bully us around. Even Libya was willing to submit. Obama made a complete mess of the Middle East and lost the complete respect of our military. Oh and he brought back the cold war and pushed an outrageous agreement with Iran that basically has us paying Iran to make nukes.

Quote:

In 2009 our national debt was $11,909,829,003,511 and in 2016 our national debt was $19,694,316,597,212. But Obama's (actual) policies only raised our debt by $2.2 trillion dollars.

Obama added $2.7 trillion dollars to our national debt from 2013-2022 by extending 82% of the Bush tax cuts. From 2013-2016 Obama added about $1.4 trillion dollars to our debt by extending the Bush tax cuts.
Budget Deal Makes Permanent 82 Percent of President Bush

Then Obama added $831 billion dollars to our national debt with his 2009 stimulus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...nt_Act_of_2009

The rest of the debt growth that happened from 2009-2016 was caused by the Bush tax cuts happening from 2009-2012, the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and increased spending and federal subsidies started by GW Bush, ex.ex.

https://www.mercatus.org/publication...-george-w-bush
RealClearMarkets - Do Crony Handouts Have a Stranglehold On the GOP?
Good grief, do liberals ever take accountability? It's always Bush's fault.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:00 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Not true. Lots of republicans don't like either Bush presidents.
There are always outliers, but for most, my statement holds true.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:10 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
must be the kool aid.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:28 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Why do people think Obama is a great president?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Before you say "the economy!" Or "unemployment is down!" It's because people have stopped seeking work and the new jobs have mostly been low wage jobs. Oh and he didn't kill Bin Laden either- we have our military to thank.

- Obamacare has been a bust as we are seeing now
- Our country is more divided than ever and he is partial to blame
- Things have gotten worse in the Middle East with ISIS
- We have had more terrorist attacks on US soil (bombings and shootings)
- Illegal immigration continues to be bad
- The national debt has increased the most while he has been in office.

A lot of people say "he's so cool I don't want him to leave!" Reading mean tweets about yourself doesn't make you "cool."

Another funny argument is "the only people who hate him are the racist bigots!"
He's SO much better than any living GOP ex-president.

America is in MUCH better shape at the end of his term than it was at the beginning. What a horrible mess he inherited from the Pubs. And despite their lockstep obstruction, he's made things better.

Pubs could learn a lesson from this.

But they probably won't.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:57 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
First of all, most people do not think Obama is a great president. I think most people either hate him, and would hate him no matter what he did, or else appreciate many things he did, while feeling that he felt short of expectations.

To try to reply to some of your points:
-Obamacare has been a hugely successful first step, and it's enormously to his credit that, in the face of extraordinary opposition, he got any semblance of a program that presidents have been trying to pass for over a half-century.
-Anyone who does even a minimal amount of reading would know that all objective assessments blame the divisiveness squarely on Republicans.
-A western hemisphere president doesn't control what happens in the middle east, no matter what you may like to imagine.
-There have been no concerted terrorism attacks planned by Al Queda/ISIS during Obama's tenure; individual lone actors can't all be prevented now, any more than were the assassinations and assassination attempts on Kennedy or Reagan.
-Illegal immigration is apparently much improved, although of course it doesn't progress unless Republicans become more willing to sit down and work it out.

Some reasons Obama may be considered "cool" (a stupid word, anyway) are:

He'd delightfully articulate.
He's very poised and self-possessed (in start contrast to Trump).
He has a great sense of humor.
He's a great role model as a person, husband, father.
He's basically a classy guy, smart, eclectic, well-spoken, aware of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies