Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 04:16 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times

Advertisements

Goodbye More jobs....Crook County Strikes Again.... This also effects the suburbs ...

Cook County approves $13 hourly minimum wage affecting suburbs - Chicago Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 04:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Goodbye More jobs....Crook County Strikes Again.... This also effects the suburbs ...

Cook County approves $13 hourly minimum wage affecting suburbs - Chicago Tribune
Since you do not live there, why do you care so much what others do?

Old 10-26-2016, 04:19 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,735 times
Pink slips incoming!

Old 10-26-2016, 04:52 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Lived there 25 years and my entire family lives there . Thanks ! Mod please transfer to political section as this section was mistake . Thank you

Old 10-26-2016, 05:22 PM

25,958 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
I think we should all be concerned about other citizens in our country and how what the politicians do impact them, but I guess that is just me as a Trump supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Pink slips incoming!
We were at smaller town Wal-Mart today, they put in the self-serve check-outs. We are college town and I am sure many that returned this fall found they weren't going to be working there.

What we need is REAL jobs that pay enough, not raise wages for jobs traditionally done by students or part-time for extra money.

This is the kind of thing that puts stores just barely making it out of business. Hey, that will work for the big retailers and that has me thinking about the purpose.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think we should all be concerned about other citizens in our country and how what the politicians do impact them, but I guess that is just me as a Trump supporter.
I imagine that Cook county is a pretty high cost of living area. Certainly higher than Hazard county Kentucky. How does it make sense for a one size fit all minimum wage?

Quote:
We were at smaller town Wal-Mart today, they put in the self-serve check-outs. We are college town and I am sure many that returned this fall found they weren't going to be working there.

What we need is REAL jobs that pay enough, not raise wages for jobs traditionally done by students or part-time for extra money.
And since we are NOT doing that there are two choices. People get paid more or you pay more in welfare.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:49 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,813,405 times
There are a lot of unemployed Chicagoans on fixed income welfare, food stamps, etc. An increased minimum wage is going to increase prices and reduce their buying power. Should be interesting to watch...

Old 10-27-2016, 05:00 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Min wage laws are mandatory unemployment laws.
I feel sorry for those with a skill set not worth at least $13.00 per hour.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:10 AM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Why do you post on things that are NOT in the area where you live?

Old 10-27-2016, 05:36 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Min wage laws are mandatory unemployment laws.
I feel sorry for those with a skill set not worth at least $13.00 per hour.
The bright side is the issue was determined on the local level where it belongs instead of it being decided at the federal level. At the local level the people have a path to change course if the new min. wage laws were having a negative effect on UE and inflation. At the federal level the people have less recourse, it would take the {D}s controlling all 3 branches to pass such a high min wage. And the {R}s controlling all 3 branches
to over turn if it was having a negative effect on most of country.

I have no clue on the effects it will have on Cook county I would guess negative since it is so high. But it is good to see local gvt making these types of decisions and I wish there was more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies