Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 05:25 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times

Advertisements

In U.S., Support for Assault Weapons Ban at Record Low | Gallup

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 05:33 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
I can think of a few possible reasons. Despite the sensationalization of these guns in the media, very, very few are used in crimes, and I think educated people are realizing this. I think there are many people who are looking at the direction the world is headed and realize they might want one for protection. Lastly, I think people are getting tired of being told by the government what they can and cannot do.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:43 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I can think of a few possible reasons. Despite the sensationalization of these guns in the media, very, very few are used in crimes, and I think educated people are realizing this. I think there are many people who are looking at the direction the world is headed and realize they might want one for protection. Lastly, I think people are getting tired of being told by the government what they can and cannot do.
Protection, ha not buying that. You want protection get pit bull or even a shotgun or street sweeper. No one would come near your home.

These weapons are for killing people - lots of them at a time - even the manufacturers know that

ORLANDO
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-change-much/

SAN BERNADINO
Rifles Used in San Bernardino Shooting Illegal Under State Law - WSJ

Yea, in a civilized soceity we need powerful weapons to feel safe, then we can end up like Mexico, or Honduras, or Salvador or even Afghanistan. I prefer these guns stay in the hands of police and military not the average joe (or the America-hating dudes above)

Old 10-26-2016, 05:51 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Protection, ha not buying that. You want protection get pit bull or even a shotgun or street sweeper.
Nope. I've never had to clean up a pile of AR sh*t from my yard. Nor have any of mine peed on the rug.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:57 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Protection, ha not buying that. You want protection get pit bull or even a shotgun or street sweeper. No one would come near your home.

These weapons are for killing people - lots of them at a time - even the manufacturers know that

ORLANDO

SAN BERNADINO

Yea, in a civilized soceity we need powerful weapons to feel safe, then we can end up like Mexico, or Honduras, or Salvador or even Afghanistan. I prefer these guns stay in the hands of police and military not the average joe (or the America-hating dudes above)
Personally, anything less than a .50 BMG is not powerful enough.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:58 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,587 times
Quote:

ORLANDO

SAN BERNADINO

Both the Military and the police are made up of the Average Joe as you put it. The only difference between the Average Joe and the Military and Police is the degree of training; And the oath that individual took.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:14 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Good. Let's keep it that way.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:18 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Good. Let's keep it that way.
Agreed.
With all these undesirable unknowns entering our borders, we need to protect our loved ones if ever the SHTF

Old 10-26-2016, 07:31 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:

ORLANDO

SAN BERNADINO

Know what your talking about before taking on a subject. A "street sweeper" is classified as a destructive device, NOT a firearm, and they have been title 3 since Clinton. It's a shotgun with a revolving cylinder, but it's not classed as a firearm. It's in the same class as hand grenades.

Despite your protestations, the AR and similar rifles are really not "high powered". A standard AR is a 22 cal, high velocity, yes, but not a powerhouse. The infamous AK 47 pretty much matches a 30 30 Win, not a super powerhouse either. They are quite adequate for defensive purposes though, due to fairly low recoil and with the AR, fragile ammo that will break up on wallboard. Thus, overpenetration is minimized. Every firearm has a niche. One guy may not "need" an AR, a shotgun will do, another, say a rural dweller, may need more range. That need is none of my, or your, business. You dont get to determine the needs , or wants, of anyone but yourself.

Carry on.....

Old 10-26-2016, 07:35 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:

Personal protection is about killing people who would do you or your property harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies