Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 07:09 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Every single age group in the 55 and under category has a lower labor participation number since Obama has been in office.
It started to decline way before Obama. You cant ignore that it declined under Bush as well.

One of the reasons for lower labor force participation rates is of course that America is the only industrialized country in the world without a paid family and medical leave policy and the cost of child care is extraordinary (frequently 25k a year per child). As women increasingly are better educated, they have to choose between family and having children or a career, as labor rights in America is so weak and politics is heavily geared towards the interests of the donor class and not salt of the earth Americans.

Make pre-school from 1 to 5 years readily available and affordable for every family, with heavy subsidies regardless of income (no means testing), similar to our K-12 system and implement a good paid family and medical leave policy so women dont have to choose between working or having children and labor force participation rates will go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 08:14 AM

4,253 posts, read 3,173,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
To be revised to the actual -2.9% after the vote.
The GDP always gets revised a few months down the road. In any event, why would anyone be crowing about 2.9%, while it is "ok" it is not exactly gangbusters! One should reserve judgement for the revision that is sure to come.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:16 AM

4,253 posts, read 3,173,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Better than expected. In Florida jobs reports are positive, housing market returning to building everywhere meaning more work for builders, contractors. Multiplier effect. Lending rate assists home ownership. Thanks Obama.

https://goo.gl/images/johdjl

Yeah, it's all Obama!

Old 10-31-2016, 08:29 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Every single age group in the 55 and under category has a lower labor participation number since Obama has been in office.
How many of that 94 million are between 25 and 55?

Anyone, including Trump who made it key in his economic speech, who quotes the number not in the labor force as an indication that the economy is bad is just spinning or doesn't understand. Both are pretty bad.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
GDP has been slowing growing but 99% of the profit gains are going to the super rich. Job growth has been positive but most new jobs are low wage. Only 60% of people are in the work force, when you take out people who are very old, have lots of money in the bank and no need to work, students, very sick, etc the real unemployment rate is around 25%. I have never been an Obama basher, but the reality is for 25% of Americans the Great Recession became the Great Depression. I know many people who lost work in 2008 and have never found a job since.
Your numbers are nowhere close to reality. Of those who are counted as not participating there are currently around 6 million who want a job, but are not looking. If they where looking they would already be counted as unemployed. The lowest that number has ever been is the around 4.5 million. If you add the difference of 1.5 to the unemployment number you get no where near 25%.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It will almost certainly be revised down, as is the pattern for recent years.
So 2% growth is all that we can hope for these days??? Despite oceans full of "free money" being pumped out??
Pathetic.
Just last quarter it was revised up.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:38 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
GDP up to 2.9% for 3rd quarter.. Jobs up and earning's up.
yet another quarter of less than 3% growth... and liberals everywhere are applauding how awesome it is.

they are so s m r t

Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
GDP up to 2.9% for 3rd quarter.. Jobs up and earning's up.
2.9% is pathetic

Old 10-31-2016, 03:16 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,085 times
Obama 2.17 GDP Beats Bush W 1.56 GDP!!!
Clinton 3.88 GDP Beats Reagan 2.97 GDP!!!
Clinton 3.88 GDP Beats Bush H 2.27 GDP!!!

Last edited by KrazeeKrewe; 10-31-2016 at 04:45 PM..

Old 10-31-2016, 08:45 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
I clearly told you google what smarter minds than me and you have figured out. Clearly you lack the initiative to educate yourself on why we update measurements as the economy changes.
You cannot explain why so how about educating yourself? Because someone said so.

Quote:
No you didn't. $2 billion is a drop in the bucket for a boondoggle when compared to the size of the America economy. Give me something significant. .

Keep trying.
I gave you 2 examples of how GDP is worthless. The dollar amount you compared to 15 trillion because you were too ignorant to know the super collider happened years ago is another example of your ignorance

Quote:
That it is a good thing clearly.
You cannot explain why so how about you become informed? Because someone said.

Quote:
Of course it is getting higher. We have an aging population and we have too many unhealthy people. Just wait and see how much we spend on the boomers who underfunded their retirement and didn't take care of themselves.
LMAO It's getting higher because as anyone who is paying attention knows government is very inefficient with the peoples money.

Quote:
You said there was no value, clearly a lot of people would differ.
Uninformed people like yourself. Build a 1 Million dollar house that stands for decades gets the same value as a 1 million dollar bomb that blows up in 1 day.

Quote:
Sure I am, you just fail to see the big picture.
You cannot explain why so how about you becoming informed. Because someone said.

Quote:
There's no running from increased spending due to a aging and obese population.
The per person amount is going up. Common sense and a minute bit of economic knowledge tells us that the cost was grossly mis figured from the get go.

Quote:
Your ignorance doesn't allow you to see the big picture. You merely a have a snapshot of one quarter of GDP from ZeroHedge (LOL) and you extrapolate based on your erroneous thinking.
You still haven't said anything. You cannot refute one thing I've said, not one. I just proved to you in that quarter how much obamacare contributes, which doesn't produce anything. The anount may change, but it happens EVERY quarter it is measured. Obamacare will add to GDP yet it produces nothing. It is an expense. I'm embarrassed for you.

Quote:
Care to post something from the 2nd or 3rd quarter? Seems like inventories have decreased, industrial activity increased, and exports increased since you cute little snapshot.
Again it's not about what happens in another quarter. I just proved to you that GDP goes up because of Obamacare. What matters is that it doesn't produce anything yet GDP goes up.

I'll make it simple for you since you lack a basic understanding of reality. I have 20 dollars. Someone breaks my window, I pay 20 to have it repaired. I'm 20 dollars poorer and have nothing positive to show for it. The repairman is richer 20 less the cost of supplies, and nothing has been produced. But GDP went up.

Your post has absolutely no basis which is why it doesn't refute one thing I've said.
keep deflecting.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 10-31-2016 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies