Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 12:45 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,637 times

Advertisements

Trump is not a politician. This is exactly why he needs to get elected. Drain the swamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 12:49 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I like to call Trump the "Obama" of this election. Not that I feel their politics are similar (although they honestly are). But because of the people voting for him. They're expecting "hope" and "change". The same as with Obama, who just knew he would bring change to America. I think the similarities between Obama and Trump is that they're both bestowed with the "savior" label by their respective followers. But something is more interesting about the psychology of people who vote for politicians. They feel that these politicians are going to solve problems.

Let's look at everything politicians have done for us in the history of America. They protected the institution of slavery, created Jim crow laws, created minimum wage (which shrunk the workforce), created a useless private bank to monpolize our money, got us involved in countless wars, and has jacked our national debt up to nearly 20 trillion (give or take 5 trillion dollars). So if we were keeping score, politicians really kind of suck. I can't see how anyone feels that anything good can come from Washington.

But you know all of the great things that have happened in America in the last 20 years? The internet, the world wide web, uber (and ride sharing), airbnb, bitcoins and cryptocurrencies, crowd funding, and countless other things. All of these things have had a majorly positive impact to the bottomline of the lives of the average American. And guess what? It didn't come from some magical piece of legislation from Washington. It came from actual people trying to solve issues. And how does Washington respond to these things. Oh yeah, it tries to sabotage (aka regulate) these businesses. The government has been trying to control the internet like forever. It wants to shut down bitcoin, it wants to make airbnb and uber/lyft illegal.

There is a word for this, it's called sour grapes or "butthurt" (for millennial friends out there). What technology does is show you how usless politicians really are. And how they're actually not all that useful to begin with. I can't think of 1 good thing any politician has done in the last 10 years. But I can think of so many cool things coming from the free market made by normal people that is going to improve the lives of Americans.

So to you Trump and Obama supporters (since no one is really that gung ho about Hilary), don't be suprised when yet another poltician lets you down. That's basically what they do for a living.
You could add the systematic criminalization of Americans where 1 in 4 have criminal records and are doomed for life for either a trumped up charge or a singular, lapse in judgment. You want to talk about the forgotten, talk about those people. I own a small business and I hire only felons. Not just any felon, but those who have reformed. Why? Because they make the very best employees you could imagine. They are grateful for the work and dedicated and those who learned from their mistake, are loyal and honest. In America, we have huge business and those who bottom feed off of the justice system.

Politicians have sold us out in every aspect and it's finally starting to yield signs of imploding.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:10 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:
So to you Trump and Obama supporters (since no one is really that gung ho about Hilary), don't be suprised when yet another poltician lets you down. That's basically what they do for a living.
I'll bet the deep pockets on Wall Street and the Multinational Corporations that purchase politicians would beg to differ.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:19 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Take notice.....

Any time politicians get involved in the name of helping the poor, they always end up making more poor.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:54 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Quote: I'm from the government and I'm here to help you".

Old 10-29-2016, 03:01 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times

Old 10-29-2016, 07:25 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,314 times
Government can be employed for the safety and security of its citizens. That security can mean a material safety net, too, that does not allow its citizenry to fall below a certain "floor" level.

The different outcomes in the Haitian and Chilean earthquakes demonstrate this. The latter was hit with an earthquake of a much greater magnitude yet had far fewer deaths than the Haitians. This was primarily due to stricter building codes implemented in Chile. Building codes were non-existent in sprawling areas of Haiti. The Chilean buildings withstood the much greater magnitude earthquake resulting in the deaths of far fewer people.

Some would argue "government regulations stifle investment." Nonsense, not where it matters. Higher standards promote greater investment. It simply weeds out the investors with less chops the way standards in the NFL and NBA or the Navy SEALs keeps keeps out every average Joe Blow from playing in the game and driving the whole league downward.

Brazil is a country were the developed world and undeveloped world live together. Where some live as extravagent as the rich and beautiful in London. While others live like the destitute and malnourished throughout the poorest parts of Africa and Asia. The rural Northeast of Brazil is a section of the country on poverty par with the poorest parts of Africa. It is were the former President Lula of Brazil came from, reared in abject poverty. Before his mother took all her children to the city to seek a better future. There he shined shoes, sold peanuts in the street as a child, and eventually as an adult worked in a factory and joined the union, losing a finger on a machine before rising to become a union leader.

Under Lula as President, with his government funded welfare program called Bolsa Familia, over 40 million Brazilian were raised out of extreme poverty. They still lived in poverty but now they could send their children to grade school (rather than have them peddle and work on the streets) and they could spend their welfare money at local businesses, helping the circular flow of the Brazilian economy, thereby helping the Braziluan economy grow. As opposed to that money as untaxed money sitting unproductively in some rich Brazilians safe, or sitting in some bank account with less Brazilians using it from banks as loans.

We have in this video the way poor Brazilian in the Northeast live (actually, some of them live even more primitive, or did before Lula). Government funded built cisterns to catch water. No more starvation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pI_6PeZWChM

Then in urban poverty we have this little girl (back in year 2001) crying living in an abandoned building, just wanting a home. One can fast forward to the 11:35 mark to see her.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B60Of59b2aY

In contrast we have the rich in Brazil living in luxury few in the United States or United Kingdom could imagine. São Paulo ranking something like number 10 in number of billionaires in the world, and number 9 in number of millionaires in the world.

So what if a single dollar they would have used that week on Starbucks coffee goes instead to taxes to the Brazilian Government to be transferred to poor families like the one the crying girl above belongs too. Exactly how greedy are people?

Don't worry about your $3 going to taxes being theft when in fact the mass scale theft going on are the stolen futures of all these children like this crying girl above. Broken hearts and broken futures.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vgDZHDlQcIs

Flying with Brazil's Richest Garbage Man - Brazil with Michael Palin - BBC

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CBno33zHL4M

A look into Brazil's luxury lifestyle

Old 10-29-2016, 07:45 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
There are no solutions, only trade offs.---Thomas Sowell

Old 10-29-2016, 07:50 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
I like to call Trump the "Obama" of this election. Not that I feel their politics are similar (although they honestly are). But because of the people voting for him. They're expecting "hope" and "change". The same as with Obama, who just knew he would bring change to America. I think the similarities between Obama and Trump is that they're both bestowed with the "savior" label by their respective followers. But something is more interesting about the psychology of people who vote for politicians. They feel that these politicians are going to solve problems.

Let's look at everything politicians have done for us in the history of America. They protected the institution of slavery, created Jim crow laws, created minimum wage (which shrunk the workforce), created a useless private bank to monpolize our money, got us involved in countless wars, and has jacked our national debt up to nearly 20 trillion (give or take 5 trillion dollars). So if we were keeping score, politicians really kind of suck. I can't see how anyone feels that anything good can come from Washington.

But you know all of the great things that have happened in America in the last 20 years? The internet, the world wide web, uber (and ride sharing), airbnb, bitcoins and cryptocurrencies, crowd funding, and countless other things. All of these things have had a majorly positive impact to the bottomline of the lives of the average American. And guess what? It didn't come from some magical piece of legislation from Washington. It came from actual people trying to solve issues. And how does Washington respond to these things. Oh yeah, it tries to sabotage (aka regulate) these businesses. The government has been trying to control the internet like forever. It wants to shut down bitcoin, it wants to make airbnb and uber/lyft illegal.

There is a word for this, it's called sour grapes or "butthurt" (for millennial friends out there). What technology does is show you how usless politicians really are. And how they're actually not all that useful to begin with. I can't think of 1 good thing any politician has done in the last 10 years. But I can think of so many cool things coming from the free market made by normal people that is going to improve the lives of Americans.

This is your best post that I've read. I've said forever that all Presidential politicians promise things that they will never deliver both because it's not their role to legislate and we are not a Kingdom and finally, they promise things they don't believe to get votes.

I think history will show we are best when we have divided government where we have gridlock and nothing gets done. I think this is especially true when we have a Dem President. The 2 years where we had Dem Pres, Congress, and Senate (2009/10) were the worst governance in my lifetime. After we elected a Republican Congress & Senate, Obama hasn't sucked as bad as he was powerless and was a good figurehead.

In sum, I agree with you, politicians don't solve problems, they create them.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 10-29-2016 at 08:13 PM..

Old 10-29-2016, 08:16 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Government can be employed for the safety and security of its citizens. That security can mean a material safety net, too, that does not allow its citizenry to fall below a certain "floor" level.

The different outcomes in the Haitian and Chilean earthquakes demonstrate this. The latter was hit with an earthquake of a much greater magnitude yet had far fewer deaths than the Haitians. This was primarily due to stricter building codes implemented in Chile. Building codes were non-existent in sprawling areas of Haiti. The Chilean buildings withstood the much greater magnitude earthquake resulting in the deaths of far fewer people.

Some would argue "government regulations stifle investment." Nonsense, not where it matters. Higher standards promote greater investment. It simply weeds out the investors with less chops the way standards in the NFL and NBA or the Navy SEALs keeps keeps out every average Joe Blow from playing in the game and driving the whole league downward.

Brazil is a country were the developed world and undeveloped world live together. Where some live as extravagent as the rich and beautiful in London. While others live like the destitute and malnourished throughout the poorest parts of Africa and Asia. The rural Northeast of Brazil is a section of the country on poverty par with the poorest parts of Africa. It is were the former President Lula of Brazil came from, reared in abject poverty. Before his mother took all her children to the city to seek a better future. There he shined shoes, sold peanuts in the street as a child, and eventually as an adult worked in a factory and joined the union, losing a finger on a machine before rising to become a union leader.

Under Lula as President, with his government funded welfare program called Bolsa Familia, over 40 million Brazilian were raised out of extreme poverty. They still lived in poverty but now they could send their children to grade school (rather than have them peddle and work on the streets) and they could spend their welfare money at local businesses, helping the circular flow of the Brazilian economy, thereby helping the Braziluan economy grow. As opposed to that money as untaxed money sitting unproductively in some rich Brazilians safe, or sitting in some bank account with less Brazilians using it from banks as loans.

We have in this video the way poor Brazilian in the Northeast live (actually, some of them live even more primitive, or did before Lula). Government funded built cisterns to catch water. No more starvation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pI_6PeZWChM

Then in urban poverty we have this little girl (back in year 2001) crying living in an abandoned building, just wanting a home. One can fast forward to the 11:35 mark to see her.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B60Of59b2aY

In contrast we have the rich in Brazil living in luxury few in the United States or United Kingdom could imagine. São Paulo ranking something like number 10 in number of billionaires in the world, and number 9 in number of millionaires in the world.

So what if a single dollar they would have used that week on Starbucks coffee goes instead to taxes to the Brazilian Government to be transferred to poor families like the one the crying girl above belongs too. Exactly how greedy are people?

Don't worry about your $3 going to taxes being theft when in fact the mass scale theft going on are the stolen futures of all these children like this crying girl above. Broken hearts and broken futures.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vgDZHDlQcIs

Flying with Brazil's Richest Garbage Man - Brazil with Michael Palin - BBC

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CBno33zHL4M

A look into Brazil's luxury lifestyle
As the Progressives finish off the American Dream, we will either become like Brazil or Venezuela. I'm hoping Brazil where the wealthy aren't forced to take their wealth outside the country and leave the poor starving like they are in Venezuela.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies