Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2016, 08:40 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Hi there, I live in the town where this pipeline will start and where that oil is coming from. It isn't tar sands oil, in fact it is the exact opposite. It's Bakken and Three Forks oil which is incredibly light and sweet. It's also not bound for China, in fact it's cut American dependence on foreign oil in half. You're welcome. (Source
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYusNNldesc)

So let me ask you this, how many people are you willing to see die because you don't want a pipeline that isn't even what you thought it was? Because that oil is currently transferred by truck and rail and that is more deadly and causes more property damage. Additionally if it was used as much as pipeline it would cause more spills as well. As far as ecosystem risk, I suggest you read the Environmental Assessment on the pipeline. Oh, and here's more sources for everything I've said.

Forbes Welcome

A Hard Look At The Risks Of Transporting Oil On Rail Tanker Cars : NPR

I have yet to find someone who will answer how many peoples lives are worth this pipeline and I'd love to know.
Lol. Yet again another Facebook info warrior is taken to task by someone who actually knows what's what. Now Lisan, just because you actually live there and have put your own eyes on things doesn't mean you can refute Facebook "facts". . You mean to tell me that been there done that is better than "I saw it on facebook"?

(Sigh) From this is tar sands oil that they are going to use ductile iron pipe to move and the ACoE has rubber stamped the whole thing and they're machine gunning protesters and giving then pneumonia by using a water cannon...Sheesh. Next were going to see "on the ground" video of gunships strafing the area (footage culled from Iraq or Afghanistan ) and be told it's the "real truth". The entrenched supporters of this protest are cobbling together "information" gleaned from God knows where and touting it as fact because it fits their narrative. If they had even the remotest clue what they were talking about they would be embarrassed to post the stuff. It's sure not doing them any kindness. Credibility=0 right now. Maybe, just maybe, it's the leftist nut job mentality that use of technical terms intimidates most people as most of us are just "ignorant uneducated rednecks" and are thus I'll equipped to challenge based on any technical knowledge? Since we don't have a degree from Super Duper University, and haven't learned all we know from a book inside a classroom our technical expertise is easily overcome by use of a few snippets of terminology. Stuff like ductile iron, tar sands oil, leak detectors, trench lining, Environmental Impact Studies, and other such intimidating verbage. Lol, not even considering that maybe who their talking to might actually live where this is happening, or work there or maybe have actually been working in this field most of our lives. Hmmmm.

Maybe we can coin a new term here. Or maybe a debate tactic. "Technical intimidation?" Toss around some fancy sounding terminology which will send an opponent running because they are assumed to know less about what it means than the ones using it? Lol, using ignorance to counter assumed ignorance. Sounds like a sound tactic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 08:47 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,076 times
The issue is maintenance and the quality of construction. A pipe line can break...a pipe line can be sabotaged. In order to do this properly you have to have patrols 24 7 from one end of the pipeline to the other...plus only the finest material and expertise should be used to build it...contractors and government will skimp on these costs.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:28 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol. Yet again another Facebook info warrior is taken to task by someone who actually knows what's what. Now Lisan, just because you actually live there and have put your own eyes on things doesn't mean you can refute Facebook "facts". . You mean to tell me that been there done that is better than "I saw it on facebook"?

(Sigh) From this is tar sands oil that they are going to use ductile iron pipe to move and the ACoE has rubber stamped the whole thing and they're machine gunning protesters and giving then pneumonia by using a water cannon...Sheesh. Next were going to see "on the ground" video of gunships strafing the area (footage culled from Iraq or Afghanistan ) and be told it's the "real truth". The entrenched supporters of this protest are cobbling together "information" gleaned from God knows where and touting it as fact because it fits their narrative. If they had even the remotest clue what they were talking about they would be embarrassed to post the stuff. It's sure not doing them any kindness. Credibility=0 right now. Maybe, just maybe, it's the leftist nut job mentality that use of technical terms intimidates most people as most of us are just "ignorant uneducated rednecks" and are thus I'll equipped to challenge based on any technical knowledge? Since we don't have a degree from Super Duper University, and haven't learned all we know from a book inside a classroom our technical expertise is easily overcome by use of a few snippets of terminology. Stuff like ductile iron, tar sands oil, leak detectors, trench lining, Environmental Impact Studies, and other such intimidating verbage. Lol, not even considering that maybe who their talking to might actually live where this is happening, or work there or maybe have actually been working in this field most of our lives. Hmmmm.

Maybe we can coin a new term here. Or maybe a debate tactic. "Technical intimidation?" Toss around some fancy sounding terminology which will send an opponent running because they are assumed to know less about what it means than the ones using it? Lol, using ignorance to counter assumed ignorance. Sounds like a sound tactic.
Leftists common tactic is to make up technical terms and then throw them around as if they actually mean something. Look at the gun debate. Anti-gun people throw around terms like "assault weapon", "military grade", high capacity "clips", "barrel shrouds", etc, as if for some reason the name or term is supposed to be scary. While usually having absolutely no clue what they are talking about. Throw around a "technical sounding" term supposedly makes you an expert. When, in fact, by using terminology that is flat out wrong, they look ignorant to people that actually have some clue what they are talking about.

No different here when you throw around "ductile iron" rather than cast steel, pretend that a pipeline is built with bolted together sewer pipe rather than welded, ignore the fact that every weld is ultrasonic inspected. Ignore the fact that pipelines are by far the safest way of moving crude. Ignore the FACT that none of the pipeline crosses reservation land, that it is below their new fresh water intake, is 100% permitted and approved. Ignore the fact that "protesters" are trespassing on private property, ruining people's opportunity to go to their jobs and stealing and vandalizing private property, both construction equipment and cattle from local residents.

Little different than those that throw around "facts" about global warming, that when you dig into the topic, all too often fall flat, or bring up more questions than they answer.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Iowa woman arrested on own property for interfering with DAPL construction

CALHOUN COUNTY, IA - Typically we've seen Dakota Access Pipeline protesters arrested for trespassing on other people's land, but in Iowa over the weekend one landowner was arrested on her own property.

The government should never be able to steal private land and give it to another private entity. This over reach of the government is the very thing "the right" condemned the government for, for a long time. It was basically Bundy's complaint.

But now it doesn't seem to matter.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:50 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Leftists common tactic is to make up technical terms and then throw them around as if they actually mean something. Look at the gun debate. Anti-gun people throw around terms like "assault weapon", "military grade", high capacity "clips", "barrel shrouds", etc, as if for some reason the name or term is supposed to be scary. While usually having absolutely no clue what they are talking about. Throw around a "technical sounding" term supposedly makes you an expert. When, in fact, by using terminology that is flat out wrong, they look ignorant to people that actually have some clue what they are talking about.

No different here when you throw around "ductile iron" rather than cast steel, pretend that a pipeline is built with bolted together sewer pipe rather than welded, ignore the fact that every weld is ultrasonic inspected. Ignore the fact that pipelines are by far the safest way of moving crude. Ignore the FACT that none of the pipeline crosses reservation land, that it is below their new fresh water intake, is 100% permitted and approved. Ignore the fact that "protesters" are trespassing on private property, ruining people's opportunity to go to their jobs and stealing and vandalizing private property, both construction equipment and cattle from local residents.

Little different than those that throw around "facts" about global warming, that when you dig into the topic, all too often fall flat, or bring up more questions than they answer.
I don't know if you work in the industry or not. If not... it's refreshing to see someone who doesn't, but who takes the time to actually learn a little bit about the pipeline itself. Back during the keystone debate I had a guy here on CD tell me that four welders could weld up the whole 1800 miles in less than a month. I knew right then who we are dealing with.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:48 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Yes it's a common tactic. An often hilarious one. That and cherry picking something that was said and twisting context like a piece of wrought iron fence. They remind me of a cat that falls off the table then jumps up and starts preening like "I meant to do that". When someone corrects their errors it's all " well that's what I meant you just misunderstood". Twist, obfuscate, point back, on and on. And btw...how dare you question such obvious superior intellect. Lol. Isn't it all just special though.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:14 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

CALHOUN COUNTY, IA - Typically we've seen Dakota Access Pipeline protesters arrested for trespassing on other people's land, but in Iowa over the weekend one landowner was arrested on her own property.

The government should never be able to steal private land and give it to another private entity. This over reach of the government is the very thing "the right" condemned the government for, for a long time. It was basically Bundy's complaint.

But now it doesn't seem to matter.
Well where are all the pipeline supporters who were talking about private property rights I wonder...

Old 11-25-2016, 01:38 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well where are all the pipeline supporters who were talking about private property rights I wonder...
I don't really agree with the method they used here, however it was still done legally.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I don't really agree with the method they used here, however it was still done legally.
Legal doesn't always mean right.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Legal doesn't always mean right.
I never said it does, in fact I said I didn't agree with the method they used there. However that's not the same thing that Red Warrior Camp is claiming. I wouldn't even refer to it as the Standig Rock Sioux because the reality is the majority of them don't actually oppose the pipeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies