Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:30 PM

983 posts, read 738,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
HOUSTON - A Louisiana woman blames a false positive field drug test for ruining her life, and now she's suing the City of Houston, Harris County, a former district attorney and two police officers for $2.5 million.

"It practically took my whole life and turned it upside down," said Amy Albritton. "People who haven't been through this have no idea."

In 2010, Albritton brought her son, who has cerebral palsy, to visit a doctor in Houston. While he was at the hotel, she and a friend went out to get some food. They were pulled over by Houston police.

"They said we didn't turn our blinker on," Albritton said.

The routine traffic stop turned into something more when officers spotted a white substance in the vehicle they believed was crack cocaine. The officers put a sample of the substance in a field drug test kit, and the kit indicated it tested positive for narcotics.

"I knew there was no cocaine in that car. I was innocent," Albritton said.

Albritton was booked into the Harris County Jail and says she was encouraged by a public defender to take a plea deal.

"He just said it was either two years' hard labor or 45 days in jail," she said.

Albritton says she was worried about her disabled son and wanted to get back out quickly to be with him.

"I remember the lady judge asking me several times, 'Are you sure you want to plead guilty?'" Albritton said. "I didn't think I had a choice."

She was served 21 days in jail, but says her nightmare was just the beginning. The guilty plea caused her to lose her job.

"The jail experience was pretty bad," Albritton said. "But when I got out of jail, I realized I had no home, no car, I lost everything."

But field drug tests, like the one that sent Albritton to jail, aren't always accurate. In fact, the test manufacturers and the Department of Justice say suspect samples should always be tested again by scientists in a crime lab.

Six months after her arrest, the Harris County crime lab tested the sample found in Albritton's car. They determined it was not a controlled substance. There were no drugs in Albritton's car, but it would take years for her to find out authorities had proof she was innocent.
Woman jailed after false positive drug test | khou.com

It sure is a good thing our police and politicians care SO much about drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 01:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
This same thing happened to the kid that accused of "poisoning" an officers food at the fast food restaurant. It happens all the time with drug dogs. They hit but there is nothing there.

Hopefully she wins big time.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:17 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Pleading guilty to a crime she didn't commit makes her a liar....

such is the current scale of justice.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Pleading guilty to a crime she didn't commit makes her a liar....
You've probably never been there. The pressure for you to plead guilty is strong and the threats are great even when they know you are not guilty.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
I can sympathize with her because having a kid with CP has gotta put the stress on you but if your attorney tells you to plead guilty without having the lab run another test you really need a new lawyer.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I can sympathize with her because having a kid with CP has gotta put the stress on you but if your attorney tells you to plead guilty without having the lab run another test you really need a new lawyer.
1) How on earth should an ordinary person know that?

2) Article doesn't say, but I wonder whether the attorney was a public defender.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:59 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post

She was stupid to plead guilty.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:11 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
She was stupid to plead guilty.
She was stupid to allow a search of her car. Never, ever consent to a search.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:14 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Good to know rights are continent on a chemistry set or a dogs nose

Old 10-28-2016, 04:16 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post

Police have known for a long time that field drug tests are at best - faulty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies