Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,197,274 times

Advertisements

PC run amuck once again!

A pair of Albany teenagers suspended for "gang-related behavior" because they were wearing crucifixes say they were only wearing gifts from their mothers.

Jaime Salazar, 14, his friend Marco Castro, 16, were suspended from South Albany High School recently after they refused to put away the crucifixes they were wearing around their necks.

Salazar said Principal Chris Equinoa saw his necklace and told him to put it away. "I was like, why?" Salazar said. "He says it's related to gangs."
Salazar said he argued and was sent to the office. Instead, he went home. Later, he received a note saying he had been suspended for five days for "defiance and gang-related behavior."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,332333,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 01:02 PM

699 posts, read 2,232,341 times
That is way out of hand. No one should get suspended for something like that.

But, it leads to a bigger question, are gangs really using religious paraphernalia as gang symbols?

If it is true, how would you discern whether it truly is a religious symbol or a gang symbol?

That would raise a big stink.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:04 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,593,340 times
If you are going to post any of an article please post the whole thing or just the link.

For those who did not click the link, the police have had issues with gang members displaying their colors on crucifixes and that was the issue here supposedly.

I am not making a judgement one way or the other because it would be impossible given the limited information and lack of pictures of the aforementioned crucifixes. I just have a problem with people trying to justify their position by taking things out of context.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,722,659 times
What gangs are involved? The Messiahs? The Martyrs? The Saviors?

Old 02-25-2008, 01:09 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,615,068 times
Quote:
are gangs really using religious paraphernalia as gang symbols?
They've done that for a long time.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:11 PM

699 posts, read 2,232,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
They've done that for a long time.
This disgusts me like no other, but I do have to admit that it's an ingenious way of doing it.

It leaves school officials in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type situation.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,197,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If you are going to post any of an article please post the whole thing or just the link.
It is not a permissable to post a whole article - copyright issues.

And, please note, the thread title is the title of the article - and I did not, nor would, amend it

Old 02-25-2008, 01:29 PM

13,384 posts, read 28,660,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
PC run amuck once again!

A pair of Albany teenagers suspended for "gang-related behavior" because they were wearing crucifixes say they were only wearing gifts from their mothers.

Jaime Salazar, 14, his friend Marco Castro, 16, were suspended from South Albany High School recently after they refused to put away the crucifixes they were wearing around their necks.

Salazar said Principal Chris Equinoa saw his necklace and told him to put it away. "I was like, why?" Salazar said. "He says it's related to gangs."
Salazar said he argued and was sent to the office. Instead, he went home. Later, he received a note saying he had been suspended for five days for "defiance and gang-related behavior."
FOXNews.com - School Suspends Teens for Wearing Crucifixes - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
aren't gang crosses those horrrendous "bling" ones..really huge??

This is a tough one...why not just tuck it inside his shirt?? Of course the principal could have called Mom in with student and voiced his concerns with documentation to back it up

Old 02-25-2008, 02:02 PM

438 posts, read 1,506,942 times
! Really? I read the whole article and I just don't see the justification behind that. Maybe if these kids had a history of gang involvement I could kinda understand, but since we were not given that information we cannot know. There was a kid here that was suspended for wearing a red, white, and blue necklace she made to remember her uncle serving in Iraq because it was "gang colors". I just shake my head, roll my eyes, and pray to my gang-related God that I never get that dumb.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 PM

7,178 posts, read 4,744,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
PC run amuck once again!

FOXNews.com - School Suspends Teens for Wearing Crucifixes - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
I would need to see said crucifixes first before saying the principal's actions constitute PC run amock.

There's a gang that's been around since the '40's called "the Latin Kings". It originated in Chicago with the intent of helping recent immigrants. It evolved into a criminal organization with chapters in many US cities. They have a sister organization called the Latin Queens for females. One of the functions of the Latin Queens is to give birth to future gang members. Their children become gang members at birth.

The gang's colors are yellow/gold tone and black. Their main gang identifier is a 5-point crown and sometimes a 3-point crown. However, they've been known to wear black and yellow crosses.

I recently saw a program on the Latin Kings gang on the History channel and they showed several christian looking crosses, in black and yellow, worn by Latin Kings members.

So, I'd have to see the cruxifixes. I've a feeling there's more to it than an overzelous principal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies