Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:55 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
Considering the class size (no class smaller than 50 students), the amount of TAs who taught me (at the flagship state college), the old age of most of the buildings I was taught in (typically builit in the 70s and showing its age), and lack of tech used to teach me (almost always chalkboard and chalk), the school made a profit off my education.

I can guarantee you they did not. Legitimate colleges don't make money off of their students - even the private schools. My university is up to around $60,000 a year and still relies heavily on donations, government and corporate funding for research, and grants in order to keep class sizes small and limit TAs. Oh, and buildings built in the 70s and chalk and blackboards. The tech is better prioritized in labs, not in classroom settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 12:05 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I can guarantee you they did not. Legitimate colleges don't make money off of their students - even the private schools. My university is up to around $60,000 a year and still relies heavily on donations, government and corporate funding for research, and grants in order to keep class sizes small and limit TAs. Oh, and buildings built in the 70s and chalk and blackboards. The tech is better prioritized in labs, not in classroom settings.
Well I had big class sizes, TAs (and recently graduated PhDs) as teachers, old buildings, etc. And besides freshman Chem, I didn't take any lab classes. Like I said, they made money off my education.

My highest paid professor was paid 140k/year. I also never user any of the services my college provided (health center, career center, gym, disability, administrative, etc ) that was paid for in fees.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:45 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Federal Income and FICA taxes are way, way too low if one considers the nation's annual deficit, the costs associated with the coming baby boomer plunge into SS and Medicare, and the national debt.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:01 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Federal Income and FICA taxes are way, way too low if one considers the nation's annual deficit, the costs associated with the coming baby boomer plunge into SS and Medicare, and the national debt.
The problem with your assumption is as follows: by the time you pay local and federal taxes you are paying around $42 % of your earnings. You are paying phone taxes, which include 911 and federal taxes. You are paying fuel taxes at the pump, some of which are local or State, and Federal. If you own property of any kind you are paying property tax, then there are sale taxes, vehicle and licensing taxes of all kinds, luxury taxes and gift, firearms taxes, death taxes (family inheritance and such), alcohol taxes, tobacco taxes, import taxes if you travel out of the US, bed/hotel taxes, and so on. Even if you win something like a lottery you are paying around 40% or more in taxes.

By the way, he US corporate tax is one of the highest in the world. The excuse for politicians is the saying, "to tax the rich more," but that is BS. Why? Because if it was the truth, the president and Congress would change the tax laws. They could change the whole thing to a flat tax, for example. But they won't pass such a law because they are directly linked to the benefits of the laws they create.

We are watching a show where smoke and mirrors are used. Every four years politicians start talking about taxing the rich, and we gullibly take the bait

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-29-2016 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-29-2016, 01:11 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
"Give me roads or give me death!"

- Patrick Henry after a few beers
Yes, because without government we wouldn't have any roads!!!

Old 10-29-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The problem with your assumption is as follows: by the time you pay local and federal taxes you are paying around $42 % of your earnings. You are paying phone taxes, which include 911 and federal taxes. You are paying fuel taxes at the pump, some of which are local or State, and Federal. If you own property of any kind you are paying property tax, then there are sale taxes, vehicle and licensing taxes of all kinds, luxury taxes and gift, firearms taxes, death taxes (family inheritance and such), alcohol taxes, tobacco taxes, import taxes if you travel out of the US, bed/hotel taxes, and so on. Even if you win a something like a lottery you are paying around 40% or more in taxes.
No argument from me that tax burdens are difficult on the 47% of taxpayers who pay federal income taxes (along with other taxes you mentioned); however, there is federal budget deficit each year. The federal government spends more than taxpayers are paying in annual federal taxes. Each year the national debt grows.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:14 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
No argument from me that tax burdens are difficult on the 47% of taxpayers who pay federal income taxes (along with other taxes you mentioned); however, there is federal budget deficit each year because the federal government spends more than taxpayers are paying in annual federal taxes.
I wonder what the solution to that is?

Old 10-29-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
I wonder what the solution to that is?
Every person that has or had a personal family budget knows the solution to a budget shortfall. Spend less, increase income, or borrow money from others to pay the shortfall. Our government has chosen borrowing from others with minimal federal tax increases.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:21 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Are taxes too high? No. What we get in exchange for our taxes is too low. Instead of policing the world with 14 billion dollar Aircraft carriers maybe we should be mending our own fences. Instead of buy a 1 trillion dollar plane that isn't living up to expectations we could have spent that money on our own infra structure.
Our taxes are not to high. Its what our taxes are spent on that is questionable.
Obama 3.6 million dollar tab to play golf with Tiger Woods for example.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:22 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
Yes, they are HIGH. We have the highest corporate tax in the world. Over 700 companies have left the US and moved to other countries along with our jobs with is more lost tax revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies