Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 06:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
Photo albums are history books.
They are good visual histories, but as shown, lack context for what you are seeing.

Quote:
They did live in a tenement for awhile (up until 1942 when they got a little house in Flushing). At no point did I ever hear of "death, starvation, disease and depravity" from them when they were still alive or their children.
May I suggest reading How the Other Half Lives, Out of Mulberry Street, The Progressives and the Slums, 97 Orchard Street, New York: Stories of Immigrant Life, The Jungle and King Coal, just to name a few. My ancestors never experienced tenement life either but I'm not stupid enough to think that their experiences speak for the millions of other immigrants who've come here.

Quote:
lolno mortality rates fell during the Great Depression.

Great Depression Had Little Effect on Death Rates | Science | Smithsonian
LOL No.

I wasn't talking about the Great Depression era.

Quote:
People will shoot someone over a pair of Jordans nowadays lol.
Yep. And the gangs and criminals of the late 19th/early 20th centuries killed over much less.

Quote:
Churches (or whatever) voluntarily donating money, supplies, and time is fine by me and I have chipped in cash to my local Feeding America and time to food drives in the past. The key concept is voluntary.
Its fine by me too. But realize that churches could never meet the demand for the needy. Ever. This is why so many lived in squalor during the time period I'm discussing.

Quote:
Normal people are biased against having their money stolen to be redistributed to other people or businesses (corporate welfare) so politicians can get votes or good headlines.
Call me abnormal all you'd like. At least I know what I'm talking about because I base my opinions on facts - historic, economic and otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 06:12 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Hunger is a great motivator.
Actually, it's not. Third world countries where people starve are proof.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:55 AM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The only thing I would do about welfare is end it.

Work or starve.
That would be great if there was work. If all jobs paid a living wage. If there were adequate affordable childcare, if there were no physically or mentally handicapped people.

As a civilized society we dont like to see children starving in the street begging for food. We tend to feel compassion for those in need.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
We should have food banks, and that's it.

Said food banks should provide real food like produce, canned or frozen vegetables, bread etc.

I would be ok with said food banks having a deli with things like soup, sandwiches, or prepared salads for those that qualified.

This EBT thing is a joke. The money saved in healthcare costs alone would pay for the food banks while also creating jobs.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:07 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I don't live in California so how the state taxpayers pay benefits to their low income citizens doesn't affect my taxes. Fine by me if California voters want people on welfare to go to restaurants.

California has proposed covering illegals with Obamacare. That, I have a problem with because health insurance subsidies are federally funded by my tax dollars and I strongly oppose illegals receiving federally funded benefits of any kind.

California lawmakers and activists are spearheading a first-in-the-nation plan to let undocumented immigrants buy Obamacare health insurance.

Supporters say the California proposal, which would need federal approval and couldn’t start until 2017, is the next logical step in expanding health insurance to a population that was intentionally excluded from the president’s health-care law.

Read more: California may let undocumented immigrants buy Obamacare - POLITICO

Old 11-01-2016, 09:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Food Stamps Welcomed At Restaurants | CalWatchdog.com

The decided to change the name to CalFresh to avoid negative stigma and begin allowing fast-food

I guess in California buying food at the grocery store is just not good enough.

Los Angeles and San Francisco also have a wide variety of restaurants that allow EBT.

I guess the state of California prefers people spend $10 on a 3/4 pound chesseburger and mega large french fry and onion ring combo as opposed to $10 of fresh produce at all the super cheap grocery stores they have scattered throughout the area.

So much super-cheap produce in California and places that have bulk-selection items that $10 of fast food could buy a basket of produce.

A California family of a husband and wife and 3 kids can get up to $9,200 a year in CalFresh to buy fast food if they want.

People who live in food deserts don't have fresh produce and super cheap grocery stores.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
What do you mean? Do you want to pay less for healthcare? Stop subsidizing obesity. We already have taxes on food, just up them on unhealthy foods.

I find that obese folks oppose this type of measure.
You are assuming these people are obese and your are assuming they have medical conditions you are paying for due to their alleged obesity. You also assume the food purchased with food stamps is responsible for said obesity. That is a lot of assumptions.

Our co-workers may have health conditions related to obesity. This in turn could effect our premiums. Those getting subsidized Obama care but not qualifying for food stamps may be obese. These people are also costing the taxpayer. What about the smokers and drinkers. Those with a family history of medical conditions that choose to procreate knowing they may have a 1 in 4 chance of passing that bad gene?
Do you really want to hand the government the power to control these things in our life. Or just for those who receive government assistance? What about students receiving grants, those on unemployment, government loans, SSI, SS, diability, state and federal employees, research grants, income tax deductions, or monies from the gazillion federal funding programs.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
We should have food banks, and that's it.

Said food banks should provide real food like produce, canned or frozen vegetables, bread etc.

I would be ok with said food banks having a deli with things like soup, sandwiches, or prepared salads for those that qualified.

This EBT thing is a joke. The money saved in healthcare costs alone would pay for the food banks while also creating jobs.
Maybe I missed it but is there a link to studies and statistics showing food stamp recipients and total medical expenditures related to obesity and a comparison to non food stamp recipients and total medical expenditures related to obesity?

Old 11-01-2016, 10:24 AM

8,204 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Poor people cannot receive an education?

Are they barred from attending schools in the United States?

Lots of poor people receive an education. Having an education, contrary to what the authorities claim, does not lead to good paying jobs.

I have a master's degree. I was never able to do anything with it though because I'm disabled and no employer wanted to hire me and keep me. So, I have to live on SSI, Medicaid, and food stamps.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:38 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Lots of poor people receive an education. Having an education, contrary to what the authorities claim, does not lead to good paying jobs.

I have a master's degree. I was never able to do anything with it though because I'm disabled and no employer wanted to hire me and keep me. So, I have to live on SSI, Medicaid, and food stamps.
You are an exception (unless you have one of those new-fangled disabilities rather than an actual disability) and the type of individual that the Gubmint should be assisting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies