Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 01:33 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
After seeing all these premium quotes, it seems way cheaper to just eat healthier and not go to the doctor at all. Your health is your wealth, but you cant predict random accidents or falls.
Or cancers, or genetic diseases, .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No Bernie for me.

Voted for Kasich in the primary as I figured he was the most reasonable and balanced of the choices left, by the time my state voted.

If one held a gun to my head and made me choose between Hillary or Trump, this minute, I would likely vote Trump. Anyway I look at it, a segment of Congress is hell bent on impeachment of Hillary. And the stinker within me wants to see the look on faces when people begin to grasp Trump brings unprecedented conflicts of interest to the table.

In keeping with the theme of this thread, I am curious to see how Trump is going to live up to his televised promise to " replace Obamacare with something wonderful that will take care of everybody and the government will pay for it".
Here it is and it is pretty damn anemic!

Politics: Trump releases seven-point health care reform plan . . . and it's excellent | Best of Cain

Old 11-01-2016, 01:38 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Insurance is a pooled risk, period. If the rates were according to health, what rates would we charge, for example, for a baby born with a heart defect?

How do you propose we take care of a high medical bill for someone who refuses to buy insurance for themselves and the bill is beyond their assets?
No.

It's not a pooled risk until someone makes it one. Someone with poor health will obviously pay more. Instead the poor health, and the US has a VAST majority of poor health is personal choice, is now thrown into a big pot with those people who aren't morbidly obese smokers making their rates go up to pay for the choices of others.

What do you do with those without insurance: don't treat them. Kids get special insurances by the states through the fed/gov, but there is no reason a grown adult weighing in at 450lb or the heroine addict on their 3rd OD of the week need to be treated by public funds.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Previously, when those young healthy people got cancer or some other debilitating disease, they applied for Medicare through disability. How about some personal responsibility for medical care here. Hasn't the government (Medicare) paid enough?
Most people without insurance do not see a doctor.
Most people with a diagnosis of Cancer do not have a qualifying disability.

I think you meant Medicaid, not Medicare.

States/county/municipal resources available to treat Cancer in uninsured patients is a huge variable.

By the time Cancer becomes a qualified disability, the Cancer is typically inoperable/untreatable.

There is no shortage of young, otherwise healthy people who get into serious car accidents or become victims of crime. Often times, the only insurance they carry is their state minimum liability which covers the other guy or property , not the driver's medical expenses.

Catastrophic insurance makes a lot of sense for many people.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... you advocate eliminating benefits for the disabled? Interesting...

And 29 isn't middle age.
I am advocating insurance for everyone. Are you advocating providing (Medicaid or Medicare) for those who could have bought, but refused to buy, their own health insurance depending on governmental entitlement programs instead as a back-up plan when they become ill? Personally, I'm more for personal responsibility.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
To those being told to get insurance directly from a carrier, make sure to do your homework. I could find no carrier offering that last year when I was looking to help a friend. And this year, as in last year, they either offer the plans that are on the Exchange, or they offer short term plans only.

If I happen to find a plan that does offer direct insurance to individuals outside of the plans you could get on the Exchange, I'll let you know.

If you went to ehealthinsurance - they're quoting for the same plans on the Exchange, only it looks like they're padding it a bit to make money off of each premium they sell.

HINT: When these sites talk about 'open enrollment' and whether or not you think you might be eligible for a subsidy, they're strictly talking about ACA plans you can get through the Exchange.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
As long as people keep talking about the cost of health care insurance instead of the cost of health care there is no fix.
Bingo! Do you realize that:
Quote:
Insurance administration constituted some 30 percent of U.S. health-care costs and that the share of the health-care labor force comprising administrative (as opposed to care delivery) workers had grown 50 percent to constitute more than one of every four health-sector employees.
The Reason Health Care Is So Expensive: Insurance Companies - Bloomberg

Quote:
Because insurers are paid a fixed percentage of the claims they administer, they have no incentive to hold down costs. Worse than that, they have no incentives to do their jobs with even a modicum of competence.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most people without insurance do not see a doctor.
Most people with a diagnosis of Cancer do not have a qualifying disability.

I think you meant Medicaid, not Medicare.

States/county/municipal resources available to treat Cancer in uninsured patients is a huge variable.

By the time Cancer becomes a qualified disability, the Cancer is typically inoperable/untreatable.

There is no shortage of young, otherwise healthy people who get into serious car accidents or become victims of crime. Often times, the only insurance they carry is their state minimum liability which covers the other guy or property , not the driver's medical expenses.

Catastrophic insurance makes a lot of sense for many people.
Many people, young included, become disabled when they become seriously ill. Unless they can afford to keep paying an expensive COBRA, they must rely on Medicaid for medical payment. After two years of being on disability, they are automatically enrolled in both Medicare A & B.

Employer related health insurance is a win-win for insurance companies. The insurance company is pretty much guaranteed that when one becomes too ill to work, they will be off their insurance.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My doctor didn't "opt out" of my health insurance plan. My health insurance company opted out of my state. My health insurance options are now strictly HMO. PPO is not available at all in my zip code.

To deny my health care insurance company left the state due to insurance business decisions resulting from Obamacare losses is not rational.
I misunderstood your post. I obviously thought your MD opted out.

If the Individual Plan Market was profitable for insurers, carriers would be thrilled to compete for your business.

Insurers have been exiting the Individual Plan Market for more than 25 years. Your state is one of a handful that made insurers' ability to write lucrative large group health plans contingent upon continuing to sell individual plans. It was the glue that held the Individual Plan market together in your state.

Then came the ACA. No reason for Texas to lift a finger to continue to hold the Individual Plan market together, because they want it to fail.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:22 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
you have to pay these ridiculous prices and congressional employees have exempted themselves from obamacare.
Wrong.

The only people specifically mentioned in the Affordable Care Act as being required to purchase health insurance available through ACA are Members of Congress and their staff.

Here is the text of the relevant part of the Affordable Care Act, from Sec. 1312. Consumer Choice, (d) Empowering Consumer Choice, (3) Voluntary Nature of an Exchange, (D) Members of Congress in the Exchange ....

REQUIREMENT.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law, after the effective date of this subtitle, the only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are—

(I) created under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act); or

(II) offered through an Exchange established under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act).

Quote:
I am pretty sure that you can still purchase your own private health insurance plan outside of ObamaCare.
https://www.healthcare.gov/private-p...en-enrollment/
Yes, absolutely. ACA mandates that we all have health insurance, but it does not mandate where we must get it. If you have health insurance through your employer, you continue to do so as long as your employer continues to offer it. I've had basically the same health insurance, from the same company, offered by my employer, for more that 42 years. A lot of people are covered through work, others through school, others through the government (Medicare and Medicaid, federal, state, and local employees, etc.), and others through private (non-ACA exchange) plans.

No one HAS to buy health insurance through ACA - they just have to get health insurance somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies