Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:41 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It really amazes me that when people have to pay for their own insurance coverage rather than employer coverage they get upset over the cost.

I was paying $1,500 a month 10 years ago and never gave it a second thought. Of course I have been paying for my own coverage for 30 years and it never was cheap.

Get over it people you are now on your own and nobody is providing quality coverage for low prices.
Did "quality coverage" mean no drug coverage (until reach deductible), $6500 annual deductible each person, no PPO choice?

I don't think you understand the situation. $24,000 a year in annual health care insurance premiums for two healthy (knock wood) people and nothing is paid by insurance other than a "free" physical until reaching $30, 500 in after tax dollars (one person only deductible)?

Some plans are a little less expensive, but they require a 30% copay after reaching deductible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 07:46 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvibegirl View Post
Reason is, you have to pay for those with no cost or very little cost. So the working stiffs have to pay and pay and pay and have to get hit by a mack truck to get any coverage at all. The deductibles are too high so the premium payment gets you nothing . You pay for your doctor visit, your tests etc and the premium.

The only people NOT affected by ObamaNoCare are the poor and rich. The poor get their coverage subsidized or free and the rich are not price sensitive. The only group getting hosed by most government polices are the "middle class". They don't get a subsidy and have to pay 100% of the cost themselves.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:48 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Did "quality coverage" mean no drug coverage (until reach deductible), $6500 annual deductible each person, no PPO choice?

I don't think you understand the situation. $24,000 a year in annual health care insurance premiums for two healthy (knock wood) people and nothing is paid by insurance other than a "free" physical until reaching $30, 500 in after tax dollars (one person only deductible)?

Yes, but you qualify for those "insurance negotiated rates" for the treatment you do have to pay out of pocket.

The doctor bills for $3000, but the insurance company only authorizes $350 for the procedure and the doctor has to accept that.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:50 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I can't believe that 35% INCREASE for the lowest Bronze plan...54% increase for the lowest Silver plan... 115% increase for the lowest Gold plan... Platinum is not even offered because they already know you can't afford the Silver or Gold plan... What is wrong with you Hillary liberals... what the eff is wrong with you...

Old 11-01-2016, 07:52 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Yes, but you qualify for those "insurance negotiated rates" for the treatment you do have to pay out of pocket.

The doctor bills for $3000, but the insurance company only authorizes $350 for the procedure and the doctor has to accept that.
A whole lot of BS... The insurance industry FORCES the doctor to charge $3000 to get $350... otherwise the doctor would charge $350 but if they did then insurance would only pay the doctor $3.50... that's why it is charge $3000... if you don't know how it works, stop talking BS...

Old 11-01-2016, 07:53 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
The people who are benefiting the most are the sick lower income people. They do not pay very much, if anything for the plans.

The young 29 year old ends up paying $400/mo, most of which covers the sick lower income person.

The rich aren't affected because they have insurance through an employer, or through a retirement health insurance plan.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:55 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
^ indeed ridiculous

If you do not qualify for a subsidy/ credit there is no reason to limit your search for health insurance to the exchange. There may be more insurers, more plans and more competitive premiums off the exchange.

Be aware that Florida has a whopping 67 geo areas for Individual and Small Group Plans. Premiums are set by region based on many factors including the competitiveness of local healthcare providers and the health of the local population based on claims made and type of claims. This was true before the ACA and remains true post ACA.

Be aware that each state determines its own rules for what plans must cover beyond the ACA standard. Without knowing the differences state to state it is unreasonable to compare and contrast premiums across states.

Before the ACA, Florida had some of the loosest insurance regulations and consumer protections. Individual and small group plans often excluded hospitalization and / or medications and/ or treatment. Many of these plans also had ridiculously low annual caps. There has been a tendency for many consumers to assume all insurance was alike.
FWIW....

...For 2016 I got my policy from ehealthinsurance.com because I got a better, cheaper plan than healthcare.gov offered. Before checking 'my' rate for BMW's county on healthcare.gov today, I checked 'my' rate for my county in Texas on ehealthinsurance.com....and....the cheapest Bronze plan was $589 per month vs. $445 on healthcare.gov.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:59 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The people who are benefiting the most are the sick lower income people. They do not pay very much, if anything for the plans.

The young 29 year old ends up paying $400/mo, most of which covers the sick lower income person.

The rich aren't affected because they have insurance through an employer, or through a retirement health insurance plan.
Private sector employees do not have a "retirement health insurance plan". Medicare doesn't kick until 65 years old.

I suspect many people who were planning to retire before 65 years old have now put that plan on hold and will continue working because they can't afford health insurance.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:03 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It really amazes me that when people have to pay for their own insurance coverage rather than employer coverage they get upset over the cost.

I was paying $1,500 a month 10 years ago and never gave it a second thought. Of course I have been paying for my own coverage for 30 years and it never was cheap.

Get over it people you are now on your own and nobody is providing quality coverage for low prices.
But your rates were likely based on your own risk profile. Other than smoking and age, that is no longer the case. Thin, fit people now pay the same as obese people, etc.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:04 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Remember folks when you go to vote:

Every single thing the R's said would go wrong with Obamacare did go wrong.

And everything the Ds said about Obamacare was lies and deceit.
Most of the dems seem to follow the rule of insanity. Keep doing the same thing over and over, and expect different results. Or they just want the same results...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies